Must buy drogba the guy is class!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby malone » Fri May 07, 2004 9:54 am

did you guys watch the newcastle game, drogba was class he did everything you would need from a striker and more. the guy can hold up the ball, pass the ball, runs past people, hes got great movement and most importantly he can score. i dont know but i reckon hes a better player than cisse by far even though i would love to have cisse at liverpool. but i say sell owen for 25-30 million and buy drogba. people are now comparing him to henry and by watching him yesterday and other games i have seen him play he does definetely remind me of henry the guy is pure class. hes exactly the player that would take us to the next level the guy simply cant be man marked out off a game unlike owen.

surely it is worth buying him he would probably cost 15 million

what do you guys think about him?
malone

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 07, 2004 10:04 am

I saw him play and he does look class, but id personally stick with Cisse with Owen. Cisse has looked class as well, been watching him on Eurosport a lot, plus he wants to wear the liverpool shirt and that means a lot. We'll sell Heskey and we still got pongolle and Baros as backup. If Owen was to leave id wanna have at least one english striker, and id say go for smithy. Dunno why but id like some english players to stay liverpool!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Fri May 07, 2004 11:31 am

CISSE IS MUCH BETTER THAN DROGBA HE HAS SCORED MORE GOALS THAN HIM IN THE FRENCH LEAGUE! ITS NOT THAT HARD TO LOOK BRILLIANT AGAINST THE NEWCASTLE DEFENCE BECAUSE WITHOUT WOODGATE THEY ARE VERY SUSPECT AT THE BACK! I ADMIT HE IS GOOD THOUGH BUT CANT SEE HIM STAYING THIS PROLIFIC CONSISTENTLY! HE PLAYS FOR THE IVORY COAST AS WELL WHICH MEANS HE IS NEVER GONNA TEST HIMSELF ON AN INTERNATIONAL LEVEL PROPERLY, UNLIKE CISSE WHO WILL BE IN THE FRENCH TEAM NEXT SEASON, SANTINI HAS NOT BEEN PICKING CISSE FOR THE LAST FEW GAMES BECAUSE HE IS SUSPENEDED FOR EURO2004, AND HE HAS TO EXPERIEMENT WITH OTHER PARTNERSHIPS!

SO AFTER THAT CISSE WILL BE A REGULAR (DONT WANT ANY OF THE CHEYROU JOKES PLEASE!) AND IMPROVE HIS GAME EVEN MORE! HE IS MORE CONSISTENT THAN DROGBA AS SHOWN BY HIS PERFORMANCES AND GOALS TALLY IN THE FRENCH LEAGUE!

HE WILL BE AWESOME WITH OWEN :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby Starbridge42 » Fri May 07, 2004 11:34 am

I agree Drogba is a classy player but I've seen him a couple of times and he isn't a very consistent player.  Cisse at best is just as good and he is more consistent.  Plus he 'would never say no' about joining Liverpool which shows he wants to come here.  There are lots of class acts out there and Drogba is not the best of them.  Why should we sign him immediately?  Why should we sell Owen now?  What if Owen wants to stay are you going to say? "p#ss off we want Drogba not you.  Go to real madrid where you'll be appreciated!'

Sorry if this post is a little scathing and sarcastic but I'm not that impressed by Drogba.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri May 07, 2004 11:45 am

He seemed like a good player against Newcastle, but £15 Million is too much for him.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri May 07, 2004 12:14 pm

signing drogba would just be an impulse buy, the guys had his first really succesful season and people are expecting him to perform miracles, i say he needs at least another season at marseille before he can be called a real class player, i mean look at moreno at alaves a couple of years back, he had one good season in spain and the uefa cup then AC milan signed him ruined his career and he ended up at bolton on loan! i think the same will probably happen to drogba
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 07, 2004 12:56 pm

I hadn't seen Drogba before the liverpool game but he looked great, did it again against Newcastle but never buy a player on the back of a couple of good games, even a good season isn't enough for that money.#

Whatever striker we buy to replace Heskey(maybe even Owen) should be proven for a couple of seasons.

I don't care what nationality he is, no point in buying English as all the English strikers (Owen aside) are cr#p, Philipps seems past it, Beattie maybe ok, Smith can't score, Rooney hasn't done it this year, Vassell is cr#p,
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Fri May 07, 2004 12:58 pm

MUST AGREE WITH FOWLER AND BIG NIALL HE WOULD BE AN IMPULSE BUY AND WE NEED A PROVEN GOALSCORER, CISSE SCORED A LOAD OF GOALS THIS YEAR AND LAST YEAR IN THE FRENCH LEAGUES, HE HAS AWESOME PACE AND STRENGTH AND SCORES GOALS (UNLIKE HESKEY) HE IS ALSO CONSISTENT AS OPPOSSED TO DROGBA, IM DELIGHTED WERE GETTING CISSE MUST SAY! :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby stmichael » Fri May 07, 2004 12:59 pm

it's a good point you make about english strikers. there is nobody apart from owen who scores 20+ a season. compare this to 1996 when we had shearer, sheringham, ferdinand, fowler, cole, wright, collymore.

did you hear tony adams yesterday saying that owen should be dropped for the france game and rooney should be played as a lone striker because "he's better at holding the ball up?"

shame to see tony back on the bottle again :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby banana » Fri May 07, 2004 1:43 pm

Impulse buy? Drogba was great last year and scored goals for fun in champions league. Drogba is exactly the kind of player Liverpool need. Big, strong, pacey striker with good footballing skills and an eye for the goal. He can have a go at the big central defenders in the premiership and he would be a major treath if Kewell and Diouf make some decent crosses. When you see him play, it is 100% effort. He is a winner, and he hates to lose. This mentality is very different from that of our so called "superstars" (except Gerrard.) I'd swap Drogba for Owen any day. Heck I would even pay £ 5 mio + Owen for this guy.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Redtribe » Fri May 07, 2004 1:53 pm

Am i reading this right give owen and pay 5 million for Drogba!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 07, 2004 1:55 pm

banana wrote:Impulse buy? Drogba was great last year and scored goals for fun in champions league. Drogba is exactly the kind of player Liverpool need. Big, strong, pacey striker with good footballing skills and an eye for the goal. He can have a go at the big central defenders in the premiership and he would be a major treath if Kewell and Diouf make some decent crosses. When you see him play, it is 100% effort. He is a winner, and he hates to lose. This mentality is very different from that of our so called "superstars" (except Gerrard.) I'd swap Drogba for Owen any day. Heck I would even pay £ 5 mio + Owen for this guy.

I'd swap Drogba for Owen any day.

what? you must be joking? the two don't even compare.

He can have a go at the big central defenders in the premiership and he would be a major treath if Kewell and Diouf make some decent crosses.

when was the last time you saw diouf put in a decent cross?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Fri May 07, 2004 2:00 pm

Drogba looks like a class player (in the few games i have seen him). Would buy him, if we can get him for 5 - 7 million though. He seems to be the closest clone to henry around (ie..fast & can score and create goals).

I would not sell owen to buy him though. But if we are going to buy smith, i rather we buy Drogba...........
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 07, 2004 2:04 pm

quoted on the official lfc website in the last few minutes.

Gerard Houllier has again reiterated his belief that Michael Owen will still be a Liverpool player next season. 
Owen's contract expires at the end of next season and preliminary talks aimed at agreeing a new deal have begun between Liverpool and their star striker.

Speculation continues to be rife that Owen will bring his Anfield career to an end in the summer, but the Liverpool manager remains confident an agreement will be reached between both parties.

"I firmly believe Michael will still be here next season," said Houllier at Melwood today.

i still feel that the whole situation depends on us finishing 4th. i can't see owen wanting another season in the uefa cup.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redtribe » Fri May 07, 2004 2:05 pm

How many times have people actualy watched him i'm thinking a max of 4 times
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion