Our squad - The weakest links

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:49 pm

is this then the way we see it. is this how it IS in terms of our squad.
in the cold light of day, and after the 'loud' voices have subsided from the 'mini-revolution'.. and when a degree of sanity has been restored... can we be allowed the luxury of analysing our squad (on THIS seasons form)  IN black and white terms like this: (SQ:squad player)===(TM:1st team)....

Liverpool FC Squad - 2005-2006

1. Jerzy Dudek          SQ/TM
3. Steve Finnan        TM
4. Sami Hyypia          TM/SQ
6. John Arne Riise      SQ/TM
7. Harry Kewell          TM/SQ
8. Steven Gerrard      TM
9. Djibril Cisse            TM/SQ
10. Luis Garcia           SQ/TM
14. Xabi Alonso          TM
15. Peter Crouch        TM/SQ
16. Dietmar Hamann    SQ
17. Josemi                 SQ/TM
19. Fernando Morientes SQ
20. Scott Carson         TM/SQ
21. Djimi Traore          SQ
22. Momo Sissoko        TM
23. Jamie Carragher      TM
24. Florent sinama-p   SQ/TM
25. Pepe Reina             TM
28. Stephen Warnock   TM/SQ
30. Boudewijn Zenden   SQ
31. David Raven           SQ
32. Besian Idrizaj          SQ
33. Neil Mellor              SQ
34. Darren Potter         SQ
35. Danny Guthrie        SQ
36. Antonio Barragan    SQ/TM?
37. Zak Whitbread       SQ
38. David Mannix         SQ

=======================================

that gives us a list of players based on how i see the qualities of the squad, in other words the ones that ARE going to consistantly, do their jobs..week in week out. league or european  thus:

25. Pepe Reina === jury still out but, will adapt. reads well. quick         
3. Steve Finnan === one 'bad' day at the office otherwise solid unnoticed type.  (well needed) 
23. Jamie Carragher ===no comment !  lfc spirit in cameo 
28. Stephen Warnock ==best weve got there, commited? you bet. rashness has been tempered. a bit?
8. Steven Gerrard  ===without him we WOULD struggle..end of. and theyre all entitled to have an off day..
14. Xabi Alonso ===on his day, world class..needs players making runs for those penetrating 25 yard balls to do damage.         
15. Peter Crouch ===20+goals? no.. 20+assists? at least, with a striker yes. without hes wasted.
22. Momo Sissoko ===energy..adaptable..pace..drive.. embodies 'good,good feelings' when he goes off like a train!   
9. Djibril Cisse = right place, often enough= goals? try it and see rafa.

thats it.  9 players in my book who are capable of going on ANY team sheet in ANY formation...i.e who ARE the immediate core of this liverpool team...

there are MANY, many arguements for adding  hyypia, hamann, morientes, garcia and riise to that core also.. but there are as many against.. (to re-affirm) this is NOT a slag-fest for our squad, its ours til next year, we HAVE to support it)
and at times each and every one of those 5 would BE a first team choice......at times. but, they are considered 'first-team' players at present and sadly, topically even, they are far from being without critic... partly through the passing of time. partly through acumen. out of the 5. the one i have the most hope for, STILL, is possibly the one who wont be here next january.. fernando morientes, but thats rose glasses for you.

the rest?.....

1. Jerzy Dudek == sub goalie, till carson develops fully
7. Harry Kewell === straw clutching?...fingers crossed eh? 
17. Josemi ===substitute 'centre back' at best
21. Djimi Traore== reserve quality....subs bench...1st team?
24. Florent sinama-p = with confidence WILL progress.
30. Boudewijn Zenden = sorry not enough...or is he trying that much anyway?

reserves wise things look a bit brighter, which HAS to be good news in the long run. 

reading through this post it may be interpreted by some as 'sensationalist' opinions.. as not getting behind the team etc..well im far from that. so before anyone says that                                :rasp  to them.

bottom line for the first team.. for me anyway is this...

REINA
=========
FINNAN
CARRAGHER

WARNOCK
=========

GERRARD
ALONSO
SISSOKO
=========
CISSE
CROUCH
~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~

Subs:(5)

DUDEK/CARSON
JOSEMI/TRAORE (? for both)
KEWELL
PONGOLLE

===========

the gaps are the ones where it needs 'beefing up'
but hell we all knew that, i just wanted to actually write it down and get your 'after the lord mayors show responses' in a calm measured fashion     :p

do we utilise what we already have 'CORRECTLY' which FWIW i dont think we are doing..btw, regardless to the (assumed)nature of the post.

or do we get all hot under the collar and start adding our weight to the 'knee-jerkers' arguement that, only joaquin will save us! and rafa benitez/valencia are 'what we should be like'

in all honesty ive put my list forward containing those who i feel are the material rafa has got to produce the goods with. the 9 ive highlighted are more than good enough, as ive said.
the gaps ive left are areas that are 'critical' and it remains to be seen whether the ones who come in to those positions are either already here,( in which case.. MUCH work to be done) but not entirely laughable. or, we buy them?

either way these are the ones that have to get through the next 3 months at the top of their game (supported by the rest of the squad) in order for us to have a cat in hells chance of making any impact.

4-5-1, although frustrating at home, isnt the fault here.. its the gaps in quality that MAKE 4-5-1 work that are the problem.

of course rafa is going to 'play it safe' because he realises that BY playing that way, he isnt going to ask the 'un-askeable' from the squad he has.. unless its an adrenalin-fuelled istanbul type performance he wants (or more to the point..WE WANT).. in that respect weve already GOT enough of the 'lion' in our side..we just need to find a bit of the 'david'
or, if you like more of the  craft and guile mentality.....

again, we will have to see in january... but to summarise, its true we have strengthened the overall squad.. but in doing so weve failed to add two or three of the 'main beams' to the structure, that will hold it firm.... ive no doubt that WILL happen...
its just VERY hard having to concede it'll have any real effect until NEXT season..............again!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion