OLD Liverpool Vs NEW Liverpool - Has football changed so much?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:06 am

Karhaz, in another thread, says

The game hasnt changed that much only the money and rules.

WOuld you all agree that? For instance the rule of the goalie not handling the ball when a team mate passes it with the feet, IMHO, changes a lot not only the keepers, but many defensive routines.

but that's only one example, then there's amount of matches, and that's the topic I'd like the posters debate. Do you tend to agree Karhaz's approach, or do you instead think that the Liverpool past days must be admired and respected, but football wise a lot of things have changed?

Several times that generational debate has been mentioned in the boards, and I'd be grateful if you discussed it.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:41 am

we could go back to no subs, 2 ponts for a win, all that. in some ways the game is a lot better, in others its a lot worse.

There is a lot more money involved, but the same can be said for EVERYTHING, from bankers to film stars, its just the way the world works.

Maybe we could have less foreign players, but isnt that what made the premiership what it is? I would like monday night football to come bac tho. at the moment with the UEFA cup getting more and more prem teams it wont be long til we are like italy with all games on sunday, and we know what that did to italys attendance figures!

personally i say roll with the times, its evolution, not revolution :D
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:49 am

Think the abolition of the back pass to goalie and the tackle from behind plus the introduction of 3 points for a win made massive and positive changes to the game. I still remember how defenders would continually just roll the ball back to the goalie every time they came under pressure, also how teams used to settle for a 1-1 draw with 20 mins still to play.

Rumour has it that when the tackle from behind was banned they had to send some defenders to an academy to show them what a football looked like  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:08 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Think the abolition of the back pass to goalie and the tackle from behind plus the introduction of 3 points for a win made massive and positive changes to the game. I still remember how defenders would continually just roll the ball back to the goalie every time they came under pressure, also how teams used to settle for a 1-1 draw with 20 mins still to play.

Rumour has it that when the tackle from behind was banned they had to send some defenders to an academy to show them what a football looked like  :D

Tackle from behind ban is a joke.

so if you are behind the striker you should just watch him close in on goal and score ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:59 pm

Tommy Smith was on the Barnesy show last night talking about this and how Shanks used to tell the defenders to stay back - even the full backs weren't encouraged forward. And neither were the strikers expected to track back into their own half. That and one or two other things relating to the local lads not getting much of a sniff now, and about how money has had the most detrimental effect these days. Greed in other words.

When you think back then, to when the only had the one sub...debating fitness wasn't really that much of a minefield as it is now. Of course it mattered, but the whole point seemed to be that you earned the right to wear that shirt and you damn well made certain of holding onto the right until your leg was hanging off basically! The fella went through brick walls for the club - what a shame that breed is almost (not yet entirely) extinct.

I love hearing these old pro's talking about them days...and Smithy was a cracking player.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:07 pm

For me the biggest change is the squads system. I grew up when you could name the team for every match without being a genius. eg 1965 FA CUP final team Lawrence, Lawler, Byrne, Strong,  Yeats, Stephenson, Callaghan, Hunt, Stjohn,Smith, Thompson.

3 seasons later........Lawrence, Lawler,Strong,Smith,Yeats, Hughes,Callaghan, Hunt,Evans,Stjohn,Thompson. Two changes to the first team almost 4 years later !!!! and most of those players were playing every game. They must have known each other inside out.

Today you can't name the team from 4 weeks ago without looking it up. Supporters had a much deeper bond with players then, because they saw them week in week out, year in year out.

I think we are lucky at Liverpool to actually still have players who have stayed with the club for a long time. Players like Hyypia and Carra are becoming ever more scarce at top clubs now, as the demands for new and better players(?) increases.

No doubt football is faster, and more professional, and the players are much fitter now, but football is certainly no better to watch than it was.
account deleted by request

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:22 am

Whenever people talk about football in the premiership they mention how fast it is but has anyone noticed when the "big" teams play against each other they are usually slow and boring so despite several new rules the matches are pretty much the same as they were long ago. The excitement for the "special" matches are also the same compare the St.Etienne comeback and the euphoria that was felt compared to the Olimpiakos match. Different times same feelings.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:28 pm

Thank you for responding. I put it in this section because some veteran members enter not often, and I didn't want them to miss the thread.

In the mean time, can anyone help me with this photo ?

What are they holding in their hands? I picked this photo without context, and after the shock to remember how was Toshack when young, I couldn't identify what they show.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:35 pm

I think its the footballer of the year trophy Sabre, Keegan won it 1976 and Hughes won it 1977, so I presume thats why Keegan is passing it to Hughes.

Second thoughts it can't be cos Shanks is there! Maybe the charity shield 1974 ?
Last edited by account deleted by request on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Sabre » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:49 pm

Nice one. Cheers.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:58 pm

Blew it up - its player of the month :)

Postby mungi » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:31 pm

in todays game full backs r used more often. teams now also play in a straight D line instead of having a sweeper.
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:27 pm

The state of football pitches is a massive improvement, think back to even 15 years ago when pitches were mud patches 4 months a year - and how often were games postponed? undersoil heating is great.

Football is more "girlie" now but it is better than players like Maradonna and Van Basten been targeted and every team having a player called "chopper"
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:37 pm

mungi wrote:in todays game full backs r used more often. teams now also play in a straight D line instead of having a sweeper.

Yep, the keepers are more versatile aswell. Remember when the goal kicks were taken usually by a defender or a midfielder with a strenght? Nowadays most keepers are able to do that, and are better with the feet than they used to be.

Undersoil heat was a great thing, but better grass with better drainage are noticed aswell. It's difficult to find a pitch in Spain's north full of mud and heavy to play, no matter it rains a lot. Muddy pitches are a thing of the past in the top leagues most of the times. And I'm not talking of 40 years ago, just 20.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:22 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:Think the abolition of the back pass to goalie and the tackle from behind plus the introduction of 3 points for a win made massive and positive changes to the game. I still remember how defenders would continually just roll the ball back to the goalie every time they came under pressure, also how teams used to settle for a 1-1 draw with 20 mins still to play.

Tackle from behind ban is a joke.

so if you are behind the striker you should just watch him close in on goal and score ?

:laugh: had an explosion of hot tea out my mouth when I read that.... I couldnt agree more tho.

Also some of the obstruction decisions are a laugh too. Theres times when strikers blatantly run into defenders and drop like a ton of bricks. Theres no way on earth the defender could get out of the way -are they now supposed to be ready to jump to the side?  ???
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion