O'neill - Any good with a cheque book?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Woollyback » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:32 am

I think regardless of your personal viewpoint, we can all agree Martin O'Neill is a master of man-management. BUT he's never been in a position of having big money to spend. If he comes to Anfield do you think he'd spend wisely?
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:30 pm

I dont see why not.He has spent well with a small budget.With more money I presume he will buy even better players.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:42 pm

Well if his overblown reputation has any impact on top players then he could attract them to Liverpool. As for taking them to a title, Ranieri has proven this season that there is more to winning the Premiership than splashing the cash
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:59 pm

I dont think it is a question of wether he would be good with cash to spend. The days of new managers being given limitless cash are well gone. The real reson O'Neill is ideal for us is that the core of our squad, baring obvious exclusions are very good players.
O'Neill will be able to work wonders on players like Murphy, Le Tallac, Cheyrou etc.....
He will buy top quality, look at Agathe, Hartson, Sutton they were all bought by O'Neill and moulded into top quality players, albeit in Scotland.
He is the man, and we must move to make sure we get him.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:05 pm

I personally think o'neill is a very good manager, but i also think his credentials are being blown way out of proportion!
he has never had money to spend and the players he did buy such as sutton and hartson, went to scotland because they were only average players in the premiership otherwise they would be still in england, so u honestly think hartson n sutton are better than owen and baros, not a chance! i do agree he gets the best out of players, but if cheyrou and diouf went up to celtic to play against them rubbish scottish teams, they would be superstars and thats why its much easier to bring the best out of players when theyre playing against cr#p teams every week bar rangers!
u also have to remember that he's won the league a few times, but its only a two horse race every year in scotland with less teams than the premiership and rangers are terrible this year and last year!
so i dont think too many people should jump on the o'neill bandwagon as its not convincing enough!  :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby greenred » Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:10 pm

Im sure thats exactly what Barcelona thought.Until last week :D
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:38 pm

well getting a team to raise there game and play out of there skin, i mean defend for their lives once in a blue moon cant be that difficult, would oneill be able to raise liverpools game week in week out when other teams really have a go at beating us every week! thats why it was easy for him at leicester city against the big teams! celtic are being judged playing in a terrible league, ok there not doing too badly in europe but raising their game every couple of weeks for that with a massive crowd behind them is not that difficult! :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby Woollyback » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:44 pm

One thing's for sure, he'd get the side working far harder and with more purpose than GH ever could
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:49 pm

You mustn't underestimate the confidence factor with Celtic. They pretty much KNOW they will win week in, week out. The real test comes in Europe in which they hold their own. The Barcelona result should not be blown out of all proportion, Celtic had a man advantage and won by just one goal and were lucky not to concede in the away leg. (this in Europe's second string competition) Barcelona are currently only fourth in Spain, a full nine points behind Real Madrid. (their fourth place is with 55 points from 29 games compared with our fourth place with 46 points from 30 games)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:23 pm

I get your point Owzat, but Celtic's seupreme confidence hasn't been conjured up out of thin air. It's been built up by consistent good performances and results. The reason they got past Barca is their self-belief manifesting itself in a gritty display on the field when they knew on paper they should've been beaten. Ultimately its the manager who is responsible for fostering the dressing room atmosphere & camaraderie - O'Neill.

I can see where you're coming from about Celtic not playing in a competitive league week in week out but the principle is the same and (pardon the overused cliche) after all you can only beat who's put in front of you
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:54 pm

Owzat - I do think you are overly critical of O'neil + pick holes that aren't there. Celtics result in Barca (against a team that has just won 9 straight in La Liga) was not disimilar to our result in Barca 2 an half years ago - I for one, was absolutely delighted to win that game. I would not be surprised if O'neil drags his Celtic to the UEFA final again this time around - If he wins it, will you find a way to be-little this achievement also?

O'neils credentials are as good as anybody else out there who may be up for the LFC job (shoudl it ever come about!)
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:38 pm

Correct Scott Bot

Who else is there?

Relaitically No one

Unfortunatley I think GH will be here this time next year....
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:01 am

Like you said, GH will still be here next year (especially if Liverpool qualify for the Champions' League) and keep Liverpool playing defensively with his players who have "potential", Owen will be gone, the team will continue to go nowhere with the season ending early and 4th place being the target, keep ranting on and on with his tiresome excuses.....
Unfortunately, it is the fans like us who will still be supporting the club and having to endure cr@p week in , week out....
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion