NEXT 5 GAMES - CITY, NOR, CHEL, CRYS, NEW

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:10 pm

This is it!!! 5 crucial games that we must win at all costs.

We have to beat Man City first and foremost.

Aguero and Nastasic are tipped to return but Yaya Toure is a doubt. They have a full squad otherwise and they know that they just need a draw from this game at Anfield. Not sure how we're gonna be set up but players like Coutinho and Sturridge are gonna have to up their game massively based on today's performance against the Hammers.

Following that, we have Norwich who should be keen to prolong their EPL stay. Unlike West Ham though, they aren't that physical but with players like Wolfswinkel and Redmond around, you never know. Hoping for another Suarez Show once more.

Chelsea at home is up next at Anfield, followed by Crystal Palace away and finally Newcastle at home.

Wouldn't it be magic if we played out another 4-3 masterpiece with Newcastle on the last day of the season?  :buttrock
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maguskwt » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:44 pm

I'm holding my breath... I don't want to say anything... anyway... 1 match at a time... the Man City game will be like one of those Champions League games... I hope the Anfield crowd will bring the team a much needed boost against the team with the best squad IMO in the league...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:53 pm

All our efforts and focus should be entirely on the City match. If we win that one, we can think about the rest of the games. So yeah, basically one game at a time.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Bar Arsenal away we have generally managed to raise our performance level whenever the big games have come around this season, hopefully next Sunday is the same.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ethanr » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:15 pm

I pretty much have the state of mind that the city game doesn't matter. It makes no sense at all, but I look at it like this. We have to win all of our games to be champs. If we lose to city, that's 4 points behind, so it doesn't matter anymore because we aren't winning. If we win, we did what was expected in beating them and actually becoming the true number 1 team, then every other game will matter as well.  I know, it's stupid, but that's just how I'm looking at it to keep myself calm.

I'm not too troubled about the Norwich game because we've been so good against them. They're actually pretty good at home, but we play so well against them I think we can see it off.  I'm actually not all that worried about Chelsea either. I feel we should want this enough that the home games shouldn't even be difficult. I could see Mourinho just not wanting us to win the title and going for a draw rather than a win so we lose out... He wants to be this incredible manager nobody can top, and if we win this year then people will start looking at Rodgers as that "special" manager. Either way, I think we will step our game up against city and chelsea, and win both.  Newcastle is the last game of the season. They'll be safe and they just have an attitude of not giving a f*ck at all right now, so it shouldn't be too bad.  Palace is the game I'm most concerned about. They've been playing really well, and we have to go away and beat a motivated side. They're basically safe now, and they should be by then, so I'm hoping they will start to stop caring as well so we don't have to worry about it.

We're getting close... People are starting to feel we're favorites.  Carroll tweeted today that WH deserved something against this years champions.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby kazza » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:25 am

We made the CL for next season and we will finish third at least even if we lose to both City and Chelsea. We have no pressure on us and I am sure the other teams are more worried about us as we are of them, you can't buy team spirit! I predict Johnson and Sturridge and Suarez to have big games.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:57 am

kazza » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:25 am wrote:We made the CL for next season and we will finish third at least even if we lose to both City and Chelsea. We have no pressure on us and I am sure the other teams are more worried about us as we are of them, you can't buy team spirit! I predict Johnson and Sturridge and Suarez to have big games.

I wouldn't go as far as to say there is no pressure on us mate, there's 24 years of it, but I do agree that because we've surpassed all expectations whatever happens this season won't be seen as a failure, it's now just a question of how successful it will be.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:05 am

I've done the match thread...   the win is secured.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:45 am

Im really nervous about these final 5 games.  They're all tricky and it will take a lot to win them all. 
If it wasn't at this stage of the season I would say not losing to Chelsea or City would be good but to win the league we will need to do more than that.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:59 pm

jacdaniel » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:45 am wrote:Im really nervous about these final 5 games.  They're all tricky and it will take a lot to win them all. 
If it wasn't at this stage of the season I would say not losing to Chelsea or City would be good but to win the league we will need to do more than that.

On form, I don't see why not. Most people want us to as well. Truly entertaining football all on a fraction of the budget.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:59 pm

WE HAVE NO PRESSURE ON US ??? We possibly don't have as much pressure on us as City and Chelsea and that's how I see it. Unfortunately though the pressure on the team is massive. Expectation is now at it's highest for many many years and the team know that. This is possibly going to be our best chance of winning the league for some years. Spurs will have a new manager next season. Wether we like it or not Man United will be back challenging. Arsenal will strengthen in the summer. Winning the league next season will be even more difficult.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:11 pm

devaney » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:59 am wrote:WE HAVE NO PRESSURE ON US ??? We possibly don't have as much pressure on us as City and Chelsea and that's how I see it. Unfortunately though the pressure on the team is massive. Expectation is now at it's highest for many many years and the team know that. This is possibly going to be our best chance of winning the league for some years. Spurs will have a new manager next season. Wether we like it or not Man United will be back challenging. Arsenal will strengthen in the summer. Winning the league next season will be even more difficult.

That's what they said last year about getting fourth
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:20 am

What's the mood like in Merseyside? Any Everton fans facing a dilemma regarding their game against City? Would they rather see their team in the ECL if it means helping us in our bid to win the league?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:26 am

maypaxvobiscum » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:20 am wrote:What's the mood like in Merseyside? Any Everton fans facing a dilemma regarding their game against City? Would they rather see their team in the ECL if it means helping us in our bid to win the league?

Watching the response to the Arsenal win, I find it very hard to believe that Everton fans would sacrifice CL football to prevent us winning the league.

If they had already cemented a top four position and did not need to win the City game, it would be another story. However even by beating City they have a battle on their hands. Surely they are not more focussed on our potential success than their own?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:03 am

Saw this article on Soccernet...

Centre-back Distin, 36, is dreaming of a place in next season’s Champions League but has been astonished to find that not everyone at Goodison Park feels the same way. He told British national newspapers: "We’ve spoken about it with some of the staff and said: ‘What if we have to beat City to be in the Champions League, but by doing that Liverpool win the league?’

"The funny thing is, some people would rather we don’t get Champions League [football] as long as (Liverpool) don’t win the league. It’s mad.

"Personally, I’d rather be in the Champions League. You can’t miss a chance for that. It would be amazing for the city if both clubs made it. I think deep down both sets of fans would like it if both clubs were in it."
maypaxvobiscum

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion