New stadium - Not for sharing

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby oldredeyes » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:57 pm

I thought I'd seek opinion about the latest debate doing the rounds in Liverpool. particularly by people who don't seem to be directly involved with our great team. The debate relates to the proposals to build one 'super stadium' in Liverpool which will be shared by the two football clubs and a host of corporate events leading up to and around the 'City of Culture in 2008'. As a 'died in the wool red' I do not wish to share our sacred turf with anyone(it was bad enough having rugby played at Anfield not so long ago). I can see why it would be good for Everton-because the're skint. And it may look good in 2008 as part of this magnificant achievement for the City. But would it be good for Liverpool FC and the supporters. I think not - If we are going to have a new stadium, then it should be for us only(maybe the odd international) I wonder what you other guys feel about this as I think the debate may well grow over the coming months and people who do not have the same feeling about football as we do will wish to dictate events.. Time to be heard on this one.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eddie harvey » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:42 pm

:angry:  we dont need to share a ground with the blues, it,s a none starter!in tonights "echo, the city council are making noises about sharing. well they can forget it!!! if they want to help and have money to hand out, then why not give each club a donation towards our new stadiums? instead of trying to put forward these "silly sugestions about ground sharing. this will never work, we need to keep our own identities, along with our traditions, why should we give the blues a "free ride on our backs" and provide them with an easy option of a new ground? lets plan for ourselves, and leave them to their own fate!! peter robinson must be going senile if he thinks this is a good idea!!!
eddie harvey

Postby eddie harvey » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:55 pm

:angry: I also think it would be a good idea if this council did something they have failed to do on numerous occasions, and thats ask the people who it directly affects !!! "the fans" or perhaps our views count for nothing? all fans should write or fax our greivences to the anfield board, and this city council and tell them to keep their "bloody noses" out of L.F.C.s buisness.
eddie harvey

Postby robbywood2003 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:47 am

I would rather liverpool have a cr#p pitch then ever share anything with Everton!
robbywood2003

Postby Xbreed » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:35 am

If its a choice between sharing a massive 60/70000 seater stadium thats world class, or having our own 50,000 one that wreaks our finances for the next 10 years and jeapourdises any chances of competing in champions league football (just look at arsenal) - I know which one i'd prefer.

Get real - football just ain't the cash cow it once was (despite the odd ruskie). If we want to get ahead we need another 10 million a year at least to afford the likes of Anelka/Cisse etc - time to save some money, swallow a bit of pride and have half a stadium we can afford (kop one end, blue the other).

Pride could cost us the opportunity to get back into Europes top 10...

And anyway, at least the Toffees have stopped throwing banannas at us!

XB :)
Xbreed

Postby eddie harvey » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:14 pm

??? soory mate i dont agree, I think it,s a bad idea to share grounds,you  would,nt find the "mancs", or vlla/birmingham, forest /notts county shefwed/shef utd agreeing to share , it,s typical of people who know nothing about football [e.g. liverpool city council,s henshaw/storey] bet they dont even know where our grounds are?. If it,s such a good idea, then why dont they consult "the fans? cos, they know what the answer will be!!! and that would mean they would not be able to make mega bucks on the deal, they are only interested in their own selfish motives, they could not care less for the fans! this idea is a"joke,and should be buried and forgot about.
eddie harvey

Postby robbywood2003 » Fri Sep 19, 2003 3:42 pm

??? Another thing has came into my mind. What if we did share the grounds. What would happen if liverpool and everton have home games againest different teams, How would that work, and when they both go angainest each other it will be a double home game.
robbywood2003

Postby supersub » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:00 pm

I believe it is time to build a new stadium,bigger and better than anything else in this country and to do so,if it means to share with Everton then so be it.
     It is fraught with problems because as a tradition dyed-in-the wool fans don't like change.I have to agree with xbreed on this,though,I think we have to move forward.The Anfield that saw championships a plenty and laps of honour regularly,with a full kop in full voice has gone.Every part of the ground has been replaced except for the main stand since 1994.
      I actually don't believe it will happen as we will get our own smaller ground so a lot of fans will still miss out on getting tickets,but there is always "Sky".

Edited By supersub on Sep. 19 2003 at 22:06
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby supersub » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:59 pm

This is Anfield.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby gray » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:14 pm

Rick Parry has already came out and said that the idea is a non starter as far as liverpool fc is concerned, so we need not worry.

Plain and simple, sharing with the blues would be a true reds fans worst nightmare. can you imagine going to watch the reds and not sitting in a red or white seat or seeing the famous liverpool crest and sponsors all around the stadium.

Think about the shanks statue, the souvenir shop even the famous voice of george sefton over the P.A system. All small things, but things that would be lost if the share was to happen.

Our identity as one of the worlds most prestigous and traditional football clubs would be lost.

i for one wish we didnt have to move at all, anfield for me is our spiritual home. It will be a sad day when we have to leave all the history and memories behind.

But i accept that we have to look towards the next 100 years and move with the times. The bottom line is we have to be able to compete with the man utds of this world, and by building this stadium we will almost certainly do that.

Our new stadium has to be OUR new satdium!
gray

Postby tockycol » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:51 pm

I wouldnt share a bag of crisps with a blue nose
you'll never walk alone
tockycol

Postby supersub » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:05 pm

Any shared stadium proposal is a non-starter.
Liverpool hand in their planning application next month for the new stadium on the stanley park car-park and they want that to go ahead as quickly as possible.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby ROBtheRED » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:52 pm

Its gonna be a sad day when Liverpool leave Anfield for the "new Anfield" - we will all have so many memories from the ground throughout the years, its our HISTORY!  A ground share with Everton would de-value the tradition of Anfield and can't be allowed to happen.
"The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the kop make you feel great. . .yet humble."   Mr B.Shankly
ROBtheRED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:23 am

:(  We dont need it, we should plan for ourselves, and leave the blues to their own fate!! it,s a non starter, the majoraty of fans on both sides dont want it either.
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ihatemanyoo » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:41 am

Hmm... if we were to share a new stadium, it'll be like the AC Milan and Inter Milan debacle. Whenever "home" games were played at the San Siro, the FA would have a headache planning the fixtures so that no clashes result. For Champions League's home and away matches, UEFA had to step in to regulate the quotas of tickets to simulate "home" and "away" conditions. Mind-boggling, ain't it?
ihatemanyoo

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion