NEW STADIUM GETS GREEN LIGHT

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:42 am

LIVERPOOL FC plans to build a new stadium face collapse if they do not come up with funding within two weeks.

Club executives must prove they have the financial backing and a timetable for construction in place by a crucial meeting on July 27 or £9m of European funding will be withdrawn.

It would almost certainly spell the end of the Stanley Park plans in the near future.

Contingency plans have been drawn up to make sure the cash earmarked for the scheme will be used on other regeneration projects if the club cannot find the finance.

Cllr Flo Clucas, executive member for Economic Development, said: "Contingency plans for the money to be used elsewhere within the timescale have been drawn up.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

"If this package does not come together it will not be the fault of the public bodies, it will be Liverpool FC that will have failed.

"By July 27 we will know if that package is there." Last month, the Daily Post revealed that the club had not raised all the money needed to build its proposed new home at Stanley Park, according to the chief executive of the Northwest Development Agency.

Steven Broomhead said that the club's ability to finance its new stadium remained unclear.

In addition, it must raise the rest of the money needed to finance the construction of the stadium from the private sector.

The club has been in lengthy negotiations with banks and other potential private sector investors about financing arrangements for its new ground.

It asked Merseyside's Brussels-funded Objective 1 programme for £9m to assist with the infrastructure work.

Although the money cannot be used to fund the stadium it is vital for the works around it, which were promised to regenerate the area.

The July 27 deadline has been set because the funding pot must be allocated by December this year and all projects must be completed by December 08.

A further £9.2m has been applied for from the NWDA, although that cash is unlikely to be withdrawn in the near future.

The cost of the 60,000-seat stadium now stands at £190m and Liverpool has applied to the NWDA to provide £11m of funding for infrastructure work around the ground.

No one from the club was available for comment last night.

samlister@dailypost.co.uk

Any news on new investors anyone?
account deleted by request

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:45 am

There is probably an investor in the pipeline, but cause the transfer windows open and we are looking for new players.

I suppose the club dont want to make it public, as clubs will inflate the price of players even more so..............
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:55 am

Ciggy wrote:There is probably an investor in the pipeline, but cause the transfer windows open and we are looking for new players.

I suppose the club dont want to make it public, as clubs will inflate the price of players even more so..............

Tell ya what treacle you no your shiiit.

My personnal view about the new stadium is, I couldnt give a flying fuuuck if this stadium dosnt get built.   It looks shiteee to me.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:10 am

the longer anfield is kept alive the better... who says you have to have 60.000+ bums on seats to win the league?
arsenal didnt? and neither do chelsea...

the team wants investing in for that to happen. thats exactly what IS going on. and yes there is a "bigger" picture to consider mid-to long term... but for the foreseeable future there could be no better gaff than our own to set the records straight again  :buttrock

having said that there are obviously thousands disappointed every week. well, there always has been...
Last edited by red37 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:23 am

red37 wrote:the longer anfield is kept alive the better... who says you have to have 60.000+ bums on seats to win the league?
arsenal didnt? and neither do chelsea...

the team wants investing in for that to happen. thats exactly what IS going on. and yes there is a "bigger" picture to consider mid-to long term... but for the foreseeable future there could be no better gaff than our own to set the records straight again  :buttrock

having said that there are obviously thousands disappointed every week. well, there always has been...

The stadium we have now is not big enough, the amount of revenue we are losing week in week out compared with United, Newcastle and now Arsenal is getting larger all the time.
I would love to stay at Anfield and extend but its not possible.
The only way forward is with a new 60,000 seater stadium, if it doesnt happen then unless we have a sugar daddy type chairman we will fall financially further behind our rivals every season.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:46 am

i hear what your saying ace and i concede that meself. but until moores makes that big decision to step aside/down, we may as well make the best of what we do have. and not be jealous, but be happy that at least the lads are doing the business with RB and the rest of the staff.  whatever the so-called 'big-boys' are able to afford...

it'll have to happen eventually tho, you are right.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:50 am

First thing's first, a new stadium would really help us out financially and as has been said we can't afford to lose out on the revenue that the scum, Newcastle and now Arsenal are generating every week.  It can't go on forever or we'll find ourselves in the sh.it.

Secondly though, Ciggy's right, now is the worst possible time to announce new investors, even if we do have them lined up.  We can't do it before Benitez has finished signing players or the prices will be ridiculously inflated.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Good Bob » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:59 am

john craig wrote:First thing's first, a new stadium would really help us out financially and as has been said we can't afford to lose out on the revenue that the scum, Newcastle and now Arsenal are generating every week.  It can't go on forever or we'll find ourselves in the sh.it.

Secondly though, Ciggy's right, now is the worst possible time to announce new investors, even if we do have them lined up.  We can't do it before Benitez has finished signing players or the prices will be ridiculously inflated.

Firstly, Liverpool FC wouldn't fill a 60,000 seater stadium every week. We don't even fill anfield every week, those that think we would are deluded. Also, the ticket prices as they are now, are expensive. If we move i've no doubt they will rise even further. It costs around 60-70 quid AT LEAST to go to any particular match if you buy a ticket including travel and ale.

The other point is Anfield is home. Its legendary and the atmosphere is immense on european nights, its the best ground in the country by an absoloute mile. Its not round "modern" but its no woodison either. Its a classic English football ground with a fantastic look and feel.

:bowdown
Good Bob

Postby thegreedo » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:32 am

I may well be alone in these thoughts but I am becoming increasingly disillusioned by the way the club appears to be being run off the field. I have for some time now believed our great club to have constantly undersold ourselves commercially and it appears as financial backing is now becoming more and more important we are falling well short of our major rivals. I may well be way off the mark but I really feel we are a multi million pound organisation that is run like a corner shop, you only have to look at the bordering on farcical hunt for investors that has been drawn out over the last few years. And can you ever remember a time when we have so regularly failed to get a targeted player to sign on the dotted line?

For me the stadium situation is just another chapter in the current off the field miss management saga. As much as I would hate to give up my seat in block 205 I am a realist and understand if we don't move to a larger stadium we will fall further and further behind. This simply cannot happen to LFC, as great a man as Rafa undoubtedly is even he may struggle to keep us competitive with such a financial imbalance compared to his competitors.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:23 pm

Sadly, due to the fact we cannot expand Anfield anymore, we have to build a new ground.  As has been already said, the money we're losing is growing every home match and the sooner this gets sorted the better.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:23 pm

Ciggy wrote:There is probably an investor in the pipeline, but cause the transfer windows open and we are looking for new players.

Exactly Cig.

Put it this way:

It would make absolutely NO sense business-wise to announce investment now, when we have a 2week-deadline (which I'm sure Parry & Co already were aware of) and still have time to make new signings.

iI this goes tits up it could get ugly, but people laying into Parry now only risk to make themselves look like complete ar$eholes in two weeks time.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:47 pm

Good Bob wrote:
john craig wrote:First thing's first, a new stadium would really help us out financially and as has been said we can't afford to lose out on the revenue that the scum, Newcastle and now Arsenal are generating every week.  It can't go on forever or we'll find ourselves in the sh.it.

Firstly, Liverpool FC wouldn't fill a 60,000 seater stadium every week. We don't even fill anfield every week, those that think we would are deluded. Also, the ticket prices as they are now, are expensive. If we move i've no doubt they will rise even further. It costs around 60-70 quid AT LEAST to go to any particular match if you buy a ticket including travel and ale.

The other point is Anfield is home. Its legendary and the atmosphere is immense on european nights, its the best ground in the country by an absoloute mile. Its not round "modern" but its no woodison either. Its a classic English football ground with a fantastic look and feel.

We might not fill the stadium every week if it was 60,000 but we would fill it most weeks, also IF we won the league this season i bet we would fill it every game the following seasons, success brings more fans, and whether they are glory hunters or people jumping on the bandwagon or not they would be helping us compete with the other top clubs in the Premiership and Europe.
Anfield is unique and it will be sad to leave there but if we want to compete long term, then it will have to happen.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:54 pm

stmichael wrote:

Exactly Cig.

Put it this way:

It would make absolutely NO sense business-wise to announce investment now, when we have a 2week-deadline (which I'm sure Parry & Co already were aware of) and still have time to make new signings.

iI this goes tits up it could get ugly, but people laying into Parry now only risk to make themselves look like complete ar$eholes in two weeks time.

I will be the first to gorge myself on humble pie should Mr Parry pull off a major coup!

However I hardly feel it makes you an ar$ehole just to ask a few questions!! Blind faith may be a valuable quality in some fields but business is cirtainly not one of them!!

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:12 pm

We may not fill a 60,000 seater stadium week in week out but the amount of revenue generated would still surpass what we made in the past.

But if it goes tits up and we dont get a new stadium I wouldnt be :censored: of either as the money could be put towards players. The most important thing right now is for the team itself to move forward and take the next step to winning the league. Once it has done this and there is a good level of revenue being generated, bigger investors will come as will a bigger stadium.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:40 pm

Good Bob wrote:

I think your missing the point....revenue.

When Anfield isn't sold out its neer empty. Last season it never dropped below 43,000. Also there is a waiting list for season tickets so their obviously is demand for seats. Regarding prices Liverpool are one of the less expensive clubs to see. Try going to London to watch a match.

The stadium needs to go ahead to secure our finances for the future, I can't see any reason to abort the project
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion