NEW STADIUM GETS GREEN LIGHT

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:59 pm

It's good news I guess. I think we do have the money.

Part of me thinks we need a new stadium to keep moving forward but I don't want to leave Anfield. So many memories. It will be heartbreaking to leave Anfield but I guess it had to happen at some point. It is a special place.

I hope that when this stadium is built that the shankly gates, paisley gates and the hillsborough memorial will all be moved to the new stadium when the time comes. They are all too important to leave behind.

I hope we don't sell naming rights. I'd hate the new stadium to be called something like the emirates stadium. Just keep it as Anfield.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:26 pm

Manhattan has it on good authority that the new stadium will be called the "Carlsberg Hyperdrome".
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:21 pm

I just hope that Anfield doesn't just get levelled. Even though it's dated, it's a real landmark, and any building that goes on in the area should be based around the structure of the stadium. This is what's going to happen with Highbury (the outside of the stadium will be the fascia of flats that are going up there), and I really hope that this approach is used when the time comes for ours.

Also, I hope the Shankly Gates stay where they are. Uprooting those would be like exuming a body. Even though we have to move to move forward, it would be an absolute tragedy if plans for the old site involved getting rid of everything that makes the area special.
ivor_the_injun

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:32 pm

The ground will be knocked down to make way for phase two of the project which will include shops, business units and an open green area to go someway to replace the land taken up by the new stadium.

As for the flame i would like it to stay where it is, it would look out over the new stadium and would also give people a chance to pay there respects without being hindered by match day fans, maybe a momorial garden with the flame at the centre

As for the gates im sure they`ll be taken over to the new ground.

P.S just a thought but would`nt it be fitting if the green area they are proposing is the anfield pitch itself, how good would that be. they could build a monument where the centre circle used to be. why not leave the pitch and the goals behind as a reminder, just imagine you could take your kids there and re-inact david fairclough scoring that goal.

lets hope they do something anyway.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:53 pm

P.S just a thought but would`nt it be fitting if the green area they are proposing is the anfield pitch itself, how good would that be. they could build a monument where the centre circle used to be. why not leave the pitch and the goals behind as a reminder, just imagine you could take your kids there and re-inact david fairclough scoring that goal.

lets hope they do something anyway.

Coventry did just that when they moved from Highfield to the RICOH Arena. The land occupied by the stands was redeveloped, but the area of the pitch remains to allow kids to play on it.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:08 pm

Coventry did just that when they moved from Highfield to the RICOH Arena. The land occupied by the stands was redeveloped, but the area of the pitch remains to allow kids to play on it.

its a great idea when you think about it, i wonder if the club have this in mind.

i would love to be able to take my two lads there and tell them how i watched the greats play on it.

christ i need to stay away from this thread because its becoming to emotional to think about anfield not being anymore, i used to

be for the new stadium but now i think once its gone we`ll realise what a terrible mistake we`ve made, just been reading an article on rawk and if after reading it then you still want to move then you dont have red running through your veins imo.

p.s stick your effin new anfield where the sun dont shine
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby CousinIT » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:11 am

The last game at Anfield will be a sad day in the life of every true football fan and the club could easily sell off the grass and seats and give the fans a peice of history.
You'll Never Walk Alone

18 League Titles
5 European Cups
7 FA Cups
7 League Cups
CousinIT

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:02 pm

It may be OK. First game at the new place I'd expect the fans to take one of the goal stands and make it into the new Kop. Flags, banners, songs, chants and that bloke who wears about a squillion badges.

After watching the virtual tour on LFC.TV I'm impressed. The new stadium looks like a giant spaceship just landed, LOL!!! The more I look at the conceptual art and the models of the new stadium, the more I like it. Especially the translucent roof.

But IMO it does look much more attractive than Arsenal's concrete bowl. In shape it resembles flower petals from above which seems to reduce the distance between the pitch and the stands. According to Rick Parry's interview, a bowl design, while being able to accomodate 70,000, would have resulted in a larger pitch/stand distance, and he wasn't convinced they needed a stadium that big.

The original design called for a 55,000 capacity, but it would have left the corners open. So the lower tier of the corners were filled to add another 5,000 seats. But Parry also said that the stadium cannot be enlarged since it's not permitted by the authorities who OK'd the new stadium plan. In the interview he also denied that the naming rights would be sold.

Link
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion