Mario Balotelli

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:25 pm

7_Kewell » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:19 pm wrote:
Mario knows as well as we do, that if he f**ks this up, he'll be plying his trade in Russia or the USA.

And you know what mate, the sad truth is,  If the price is right he won't mind.

Think the fella's goal (excuse the pun) is to put as much money in the bank as he possibly can while he can and despite his apparent ability actually playing football comes a very distant second to racking up the cash.

Acceptable attitude perhaps from someone with limited talent but for a fella with his natural ability it's criminal.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:33 pm

he was a 100% a panic buy  :nod  never a question that he was anything other. stands for everything as a player that rodgers is against.
honestly it isnt working for him and that sulky side of him is beginning to rear its head and it wont get any better as he isnt the type to grab an oar when the sea gets rough.
is anyone really surprised though ? he was always going to reform to type and it could be much worse if he was actually scoring a heap of goals because then his ego would totally leave the stratosphere.
in fairness though, his agent said when he signed that he needed a club that he isnt the focal point and expected leader and at the moment that is the opposite of whats being asked.
it is typical of rodgers though in expecting everything to conform to his system when he should be trying to find a balance that benefits the team.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:19 pm

The team was set up to cater for Suarez last year, so it's not a crime to set up a team to get the best out of a striker. Now Suarez has gone and we have a totally different striker. Do we then expect Mario to slot into the huge whole left by Suarez? Or do we accept that we have a new striker and modify our game to bring out the best of him, like we did with Suarez?

I'll agree that his attitude and body language look poor (as do others in the squad) but why should he carry the can? I think he looks confused by our tactics and by his role and perhaps his poor attitude is symptomatic of that. If BR had told Mario that he'd be lining up with Borini and that the £75m fee for Suarez would be scattered around on "potential" as opposed to actual ability, how would he feel? We knew the lad was a sulker, and we're giving him plenty to sulk about.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:26 pm

RedAnt » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:19 pm wrote:The team was set up to cater for Suarez last year, so it's not a crime to set up a team to get the best out of a striker. Now Suarez has gone and we have a totally different striker. Do we then expect Mario to slot into the huge whole left by Suarez? Or do we accept that we have a new striker and modify our game to bring out the best of him, like we did with Suarez?

I'll agree that his attitude and body language look poor (as do others in the squad) but why should he carry the can? I think he looks confused by our tactics and by his role and perhaps his poor attitude is symptomatic of that. If BR had told Mario that he'd be lining up with Borini and that the £75m fee for Suarez would be scattered around on "potential" as opposed to actual ability, how would he feel? We knew the lad was a sulker, and we're giving him plenty to sulk about.

The team was not set out just to get the best out of Suarez.
The way we play suits Sturridge as well.
When we are performing well it works for Coutinho as there is movement ahead of him. The front 3 of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling all love the quick counter attack. The movement from the 3 of those last season and the second half of the season before was unbelievable.
For me Balotelli's lack of movement has played a big part in Coutinho's early season struggles.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:43 pm

Our early season form runs deeper than Mario Balotelli, we looked even worse when Lambert and Borini were the ones leading the line.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Ben Patrick » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:26 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:19 pm wrote:The team was set up to cater for Suarez last year, so it's not a crime to set up a team to get the best out of a striker. Now Suarez has gone and we have a totally different striker. Do we then expect Mario to slot into the huge whole left by Suarez? Or do we accept that we have a new striker and modify our game to bring out the best of him, like we did with Suarez?

The team was not set out just to get the best out of Suarez.
The way we play suits Sturridge as well.
When we are performing well it works for Coutinho as there is movement ahead of him. The front 3 of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling all love the quick counter attack. The movement from the 3 of those last season and the second half of the season before was unbelievable.
For me Balotelli's lack of movement has played a big part in Coutinho's early season struggles.

I agree with what you're saying. But Mario is looking a bit of a scapegoat at the mo. None of the team are playing particularly well. BR signed Balo but dosen't seem to know what to do with him. I'm defending him though for the simple reason that the entire team is struggling. Morale is very low. If we pick ourselves up and have a nice run instead of stuttering, and Mario is STILL useless and sulking, then questions must be asked. I don't think he's had a fair crack of the whip yet though. I doubt Mario is the type to be motivated by boo's and criticism.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:02 pm

Balotelli is basically being asked to play as a workhorse and as our resident lone striker ,I mean this is a player that thrives on confidence being asked to put in a tireless
shift ....Liverpool fans have accepted his shortcomings in playing this role ,because of the effort he usually affords the position ,but against QPR his head dropped and
he sulked and moaned his entire way through the game .....Not a good sign for any Reds player ,but for one with the onus of providing goals it stands out like a beacon
every time he plays that position. Rodgers needs to take the time to build our attack to his strengths ,as he done for Suarez ,after all its goals we are desperately short
of ...The Madrid game at Anfield is a perfect opportunity for Mario to silence the doubters ,as its not just him who is currently indicative of our lack of fluency.

Its like Rodgers has been handed a shiny new toy ,but hasn't a clue how to turn it into a weapon ,Balotelli's class is without question ,however his attitude seems to be
having a profound effect on his ability to produce.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:31 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:02 pm wrote:Balotelli's class is without question ,however his attitude seems to be

:laugh:

If I may quote Stu the Red

"Get a Clue"   :D

and please please please tell me WHEN despite his often acknowledged inherent ability has Balotelli ever consistently produced ! 

Contrary to your assertion that "Balotelli's class is without question" I'm of the opinion that his "Class" (  :laugh: ) is now very much under question !  :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:38 pm

Mario's strength is being a link up man, he needs the ball to feet and he needs players running off him, what he doesn't need is the manager calling him out about his goal scoring record after just 6 or 7 games. Is it really any wonder he is shooting on sight (and snatching at chances) given Brendan's recent comments?
Torres quickly became disillusioned with that lone role up front under Rafa as did Owen under Houllier, good players expect a bit more service than a 40 yard aimless hoof up field, if that's the road we are going down then we may as well by someone like Naismith from Everton who will chase lost causes all day.
Has Balotelli been a roaring success so far? No he hasn't, but he's not the reason why we've started so poorly either. He's not the reason why we are getting outplayed in midfield by average teams and it's not his fault that we've let in 12 goals in 8 games.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fourth Official » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:41 pm

Well i must admit i was annoyed at marios celebration when we got our first goal,..seemed not a**ed in the slightest,..there is no doubt in my mind if danny was back yesterday we would off ripped them apart,and i mean with mario on as well....we just need time and as we the fans,players an managers know...it aint in abundance..on a posotive note...we can and will get better and get jinx fc back on a role...
Fourth Official
LFC Basic Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:31 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:02 pm wrote:Balotelli's class is without question ,however his attitude seems to be

:laugh:

If I may quote Stu the Red

"Get a Clue"   :D

and please please please tell me WHEN despite his often acknowledged inherent ability has Balotelli ever consistently produced ! 

Contrary to your assertion that "Balotelli's class is without question" I'm of the opinion that his "Class" (  :laugh: ) is now very much under question !  :kungfu:

Whilst ignoring the dismissive and condescending tone of your post Woof  ??? We all know sometimes holding back critique is often rewarded with the onset of time.
In summation, its my carefully considered opinion, and one I will be affording as much input as I can proffer. If that's something we can concur on ? If it galls you
or provokes you into posts of the ilk above ,then the complexities of that is something for you to deal with not me !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:39 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:38 pm wrote:Mario's strength is being a link up man, he needs the ball to feet and he needs players running off him, what he doesn't need is the manager calling him out about his goal scoring record after just 6 or 7 games. Is it really any wonder he is shooting on sight (and snatching at chances) given Brendan's recent comments?
Torres quickly became disillusioned with that lone role up front under Rafa as did Owen under Houllier, good players expect a bit more service than a 40 yard aimless hoof up field, if that's the road we are going down then we may as well by someone like Naismith from Everton who will chase lost causes all day.
Has Balotelli been a roaring success so far? No he hasn't, but he's not the reason why we've started so poorly either. He's not the reason why we are getting outplayed in midfield by average teams and it's not his fault that we've let in 12 goals in 8 games.

Don't know if you have read the most recent comments from Rodgers on Balotelli mate. I agree that Brendan was in the wrong when he publicly criticized Balo for not scoring but yesterday when some bloke said that "Balotelli is a waste of space" Rodgers responded by saying that all that matters for him is Mario's work rate and that the goals will come sooner or later. In quotes: "The guy is doing his best and working really hard and it is not dropping for him. I would say he would have finished that if Caulker had not put it in. He is seen as the direct replacement for Luis Suarez. And as I said before, Luis is irreplaceable. A real world class talent and that is not what is being asked of Mario"
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:06 pm

damjan193 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:39 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:38 pm wrote:Mario's strength is being a link up man, he needs the ball to feet and he needs players running off him, what he doesn't need is the manager calling him out about his goal scoring record after just 6 or 7 games. Is it really any wonder he is shooting on sight (and snatching at chances) given Brendan's recent comments?

Don't know if you have read the most recent comments from Rodgers on Balotelli mate. I agree that Brendan was in the wrong when he publicly criticized Balo for not scoring but yesterday when some bloke said that "Balotelli is a waste of space" Rodgers responded by saying that all that matters for him is Mario's work rate and that the goals will come sooner or later. In quotes: "The guy is doing his best and working really hard and it is not dropping for him. I would say he would have finished that if Caulker had not put it in. He is seen as the direct replacement for Luis Suarez. And as I said before, Luis is irreplaceable. A real world class talent and that is not what is being asked of Mario"

Brendan shouldn't have criticised Mario in the first place though. Btw it was Jimmy Case who called Balotelli a waste of space (on local radio).
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:24 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:38 pm wrote:Mario's strength is being a link up man, he needs the ball to feet and he needs players running off him, what he doesn't need is the manager calling him out about his goal scoring record after just 6 or 7 games. Is it really any wonder he is shooting on sight (and snatching at chances) given Brendan's recent comments?

Agree with most of your post, don't agree with Torres and Owen bit.

But I agree on Mario, what I also think is odd though as this is another point about Rodgers management. The way he called Mario out was ridiculous
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Dundreamin is back » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:08 am

He will be gone in January. As for Borini and Lambert at least they try. Balotelli doesn't give a fook as one of the posts said when we scored the first goal he wasn't arsed and that goes for the 2nd and 3rd goals as well
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion