A quick message to all fans

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:25 pm

I am astounded at the lunacy some so called Liverpool supporters possess. 'Benitez out' has already been called by some no nothing numpty who should hang his head in shame. If ever there was evidence to show how far the Liverpool support has fallen then this is definitely it.

Rafael Bentiez is a proven manager. He has won championship trophies. He has won arguably the best league in the world twice. And in doing so he beat Real Madrid and Barcelona in the process. We are very very lucky to have him here.

Whereas Benitez inherited a decent team with Valencia (providing him with very good foundations to mastermind a title assault) at Liverpool he inherited a mediocre bunch of players. He also had to suffer the loss of our best striker just days before the season began. Add to that the effects of serious long term injuries to FOUR of his key players. There have also been some shocking poor luck along the way.

Yet it is the measure of the man that he has not once used any of these as an excuse. He has never looked for excuses. He has simply got on with the job. Any intelligent supporter would have realised Benitez was going to need time. The amount of criticism his predecessor was given last season only highlights how difficult things were going to be. If the players we had were that good then we wouldnt have had to replace Houllier.

The fact we did proves there were problems. And these were never ever going to be fixed overnight. In fact it may take 3 years to turn the club around. Yet we have cretinous morons coming on this and other Liverpool message boards calling for the bosses head. I am absolutely flabbergasted. How can people be so blind.

Even the fact that two of our key players were played for much longer than any other teams star players were in midweek has been overlooked. Both Gerrard and Carragher would have been more tired today than normal due to their exertions in midweek. Yet none of this is given any consideration before the mouth is put into gear.

Birmingham didnt have the same level of problems. You only have to look at the fact Chelsea have only won once (today at Everton) after an international to realise how difficult it can be. And from what I saw today Chelsea were pants. And they were also aided by a sending off which helped their cause.

We faced the same problem yesterday. Yet unlike with Chelsea, our central midfield lynchpin played 82 minutes of a midweek match. Whereas, Lampard was brought off nice and early. Yet will this be used as an excuse by Benitez? Has he used excuses this season?

Despite a horrendous catalogue of injuries, an incredible run of bad luck and losing his best striker Benitez has still got that 4th spot in his sights. I would say this is phenominal considering how much things have conspired against him. Had Everton suffered the same level of injuries and poor luck that we have then I know they wouldnt even be in the top half of the table, let alone vying for that coveted champions league qualification.

Please get a grip and use your brains for once. We were always going to struggle this season. There was always going to be dark times. I knew this before we even kicked a ball in anger. Why have so many of my fellow supporters not got the same nouse?
Last edited by stmichael on Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:33 pm

We shouldn't be asking questions of the manager - we've still got a squad of players capable of beating the likes of Birmingham. Come the end of the season, it's those players that have failed to reach the required standard on a regular basis that should be held accountable.
ivor_the_injun

Postby JBG » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:39 pm

Yes, we'll have our ups and downs. I still think 4th place is achievable, but I reckon there are another 2 Birmingham/Southampton/Middlesboro trype results and performances waiting for us between now and May.

We still have a lot to play for: QL qualification, League Cup final and 2nd rd of the CL: the vast majority of clubs would give anything to be in our position.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:42 pm

Some take things for granted
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:46 pm

man for man, we are a far superior team to birmingham. however when we fail, it's all too easy to blame the manager. ok, i didn't agree with him changing the formation but does that excuse the players from barely mustering a shot on target in 90 minutes?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:53 pm

He anticipated Birmingham to play physically so he used the same formation against Birmingham as he did against Watford in the second leg which worked that time.

We've only won three games straight once and all with the same formation, I think Rafa made a mistake by changing the formation but he didn't underestimate Birmingham that's why he change it to a 4-5-1 in the first place but it didn't work.

Without Alonso we are not strong with the 4-5-1 formation because Gerrard,Hamann and Biscan can't dictate the passing game.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:27 pm

I think the "Benitez out" brigade are very small in number,an irritating itch rather than a full-blown rash.Most fans are of the sensible and rational persuasion and know the right man is in place.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby YoungAdam » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:42 pm

Obviously those who wan't Benitez out need their heads looking at. And obviously while he's in charge Liverpool will do well.

But its still frustrating when we lose 2-0 to Birmingham after a good run of form. I'm sure a lot of those posts were just snap reactions to a bad result.
YoungAdam

Postby L-type » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:52 pm

Never doubted Benitez, never will at least till next season (see sig)
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alanay » Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:50 am

I wud like to see the team play together. As of now, it seem they don't know each other well enough to play as a team. It will be a bz summer for RB.
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion