Liverpool v levski

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby shilton_red » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:43 pm

I think you just dont like GH , its not football related at all . I get that from your attitude and tone .
"WHEN YOU WALK THROUGH A STORM , HOLD YOUR HEAD UP
HIGH AND DONT BE AFRAID OF THE DARK ".
shilton_red

Postby JBG » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:45 pm

I only managed to see the highlights of the game....unfortunately I couldn't get out of work till late last night.

To be honest I won't try to analyise the game as I didn't see it all.

A good result, and made me look a bit of a fool as I predicted a 0-0 draw!

Nice to see us getting a few goals, although there still seems to be a few errors in defence.

From what others are saying and from what I have seen since Christmas, Steven Gerrard looks like he's taking the step up to the next level. He still needs to work on his passing and try to hold onto possession more, but he's maturing nicely.

By the way, the Sofia fans who made monkey noises at Troare and Heskey should be shot. Its flaming disgraceful.

I won't get carried away by the result, and more dangerous opposition await in the next round, but last night was positive.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:46 pm

***** - How can you claim Houllier's tactics brought about 2 goals from corners, a goal from a back-pass and a run onto a pass to beat offside?!?!?!?!?!?! The only one you could consider a genuine tactic is the long ball goal, something I would give limited praise for (as it has failed so often in the past) We gladly take goals from corners and back-passes, but I wouldn't claim they are "tactical goals", everyone practises corners
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:47 pm

oh btw, I've seen enough of Houllier's tactics over the last four years and he rarely makes a difference. I won't go as far as to say his tactics are ineffective and it is only the quality of players that get us results, but there may be some grounds to. Is it coincidence that we have failed to turn round a half-time deficit since 1999 ?!?!?!? Tactical genius Houllier - you're having a larf!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shilton_red » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:50 pm

There is more to management than the tactics that lead to goals though .
It was his team , and his players that got us this result home and away at a time when the team and he are low and under pressure . He has persavered and supported players who have not been doing the business and are now coming good . That is good management . eg Owen .
shilton_red

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:54 pm

He picked arguably the best XI for a couple of games, even I could have done that. He rested Baros, but it wasn't his team selection or tactics that got the first goal, why can't you admit it?!?!?!? Strikes me you're looking for reasons to credit Houllier rather than being impartial, I gave good reasons why I give little credit for that game (the nature of the goals and the overall play)
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shilton_red » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:00 pm

Im on the fence re GH , but credit where due ahhh. The guys doing well and hes staring down the barrel of a gun . Managers can change  eg Andy King Swindon T manager . Was hopeless and now can do little wrong .Things can go full circle and be turned around . That said i respect your opinion and i know what you are saying here .
shilton_red

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:03 pm

Doesn't sound like sitting on the fence to me, that was a typical European away game and we got a win. The margin was not down to us outplaying Levski, though we were comfortably the better side. Considering it is unlikely any of the Levski players would get into our side that isn't saying too much. We did a good job, no more no less. I reckon Thompson would have got the same result had he been in charge
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shilton_red » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:06 pm

Agree but Thompson did well in Houls absence didnt he . I think he,d make a good Liverpool manager myself anyway .If only he hadnt got such a ferking big nose !!!!!!!!!!
shilton_red

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:32 pm

half decent performance tonight. we sat back after scoring early and conceded two sloppy goals though. however you can only beat what is put infront of you.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:08 pm

Exactly. The tie was pretty much over after the first leg, but the first goal last night killed the tie off. I don't think we played exceptionally well
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby shilton_red » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:27 pm

But we played just well then , we didnt play bad ...................
shilton_red

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:55 pm

It was hard to "play bad" when the opposition were not that strong
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:13 pm

Any early away goal when you are 2-0 up from the home leg normally throws the opposition into a bit of a panic as it destroys their game plan. From what I have heard us scoring first and early last night was a huge advantage.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby kozarets1914 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:50 pm

Wonderful game last night! Congratulations to Liverpool - all the best of luck from now to the final!!! I had few beers with some LFC supporters - very nice fellows, in other words gentlemen. How did u see the Levski squad? Did any player impressed u? How was the athmosphere at the ground in ur oppinion?
kozarets1914

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion