Liverpool - number one team in uefa

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:36 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Effes wrote::laugh:  Unbelieveable - if anyone wants a snippet that represents the latest spats on this forum
they just need to read through this thread.

You're not wrong, mate.  This thread is a microcosm of the forum at the moment.  My two cents, FWIW, as someone's who's trying to stay more or less neutral:

1) GYBS posted up a straightforward news item with no commentary, no gloating and no attempt whatsoever to take the p!ss out of any "antis"

2) He then gets told he's getting too excited over meaningless stats, is gloating and is blowing one good night out of all proportion

3) This understandably gets his back up (and Dawson's as well) and they offer a bit of a push back with the "littleman" comment and the "true supporter" comment

4) This understandably gets Peewee and Big Mick a little peeved and it really starts to kick off

But, I would invite everyone to calm down, go take a breather and then come back and look at this thread more objectively.  Pay particular attention to the initial post and ask yourself, did it really warrant being jumped on ("means feck all"...) straight away and did it really call for the accusation that anyone was gloating, going overboard etc.?  I don't think so.  We've had lots of discussion of late pointing out just where things have gone wrong with our season but, speaking objectively, we've seen significantly less positive news about the club posted up.  Is it really so hard to grasp why some posters of a more 'happy clappy' persuasion might take umbrage at seeing a fairly innocuous piece of good news being sh!t on from a great height and dismissed as OTT gloating?  Sabre was given a lot of stick for criticizing and dismissing Owzat's post the other week but here we see the same thing from the other direction.  Surely it's a two way street? ???

i will apologise for my littleman comment which was not called for but the rest i wont apologise for . As you have said all i was trying to do was to start a thread that maybe just maybe could lead finally to a bit of positive talk about Liverpool Football Club instead of the norm negative stuff that is posted . But as i saw it last all off three posts which in my eyes is a very big shame and quiet sad .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:38 pm

GYBS wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Effes wrote::laugh:  Unbelieveable - if anyone wants a snippet that represents the latest spats on this forum

You're not wrong, mate.  This thread is a microcosm of the forum at the moment.  My two cents, FWIW, as someone's who's trying to stay more or less neutral:

1) GYBS posted up a straightforward news item with no commentary, no gloating and no attempt whatsoever to take the p!ss out of any "antis"

2) He then gets told he's getting too excited over meaningless stats, is gloating and is blowing one good night out of all proportion

3) This understandably gets his back up (and Dawson's as well) and they offer a bit of a push back with the "littleman" comment and the "true supporter" comment

4) This understandably gets Peewee and Big Mick a little peeved and it really starts to kick off

But, I would invite everyone to calm down, go take a breather and then come back and look at this thread more objectively.  Pay particular attention to the initial post and ask yourself, did it really warrant being jumped on ("means feck all"...) straight away and did it really call for the accusation that anyone was gloating, going overboard etc.?  I don't think so.  We've had lots of discussion of late pointing out just where things have gone wrong with our season but, speaking objectively, we've seen significantly less positive news about the club posted up.  Is it really so hard to grasp why some posters of a more 'happy clappy' persuasion might take umbrage at seeing a fairly innocuous piece of good news being sh!t on from a great height and dismissed as OTT gloating?  Sabre was given a lot of stick for criticizing and dismissing Owzat's post the other week but here we see the same thing from the other direction.  Surely it's a two way street? ???

i will apologise for my littleman comment which was not called for but the rest i wont apologise for . As you have said all i was trying to do was to start a thread that maybe just maybe could lead finally to a bit of positive talk about Liverpool Football Club instead of the norm negative stuff that is posted . But as i saw it last all off three posts which in my eyes is a very big shame and quiet sad .

apology accepted
112-1077774096

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:49 pm

bigmick wrote:How many times will we do this before we learn FFS :D I swear sometimes the more positive side of the forum talk us into defeats. We win one game (and I'm not saying it wasn't a great result etc) and we go into super gloat mode  :D All of a sudden anybody who had/has doubts was/is wrong, we're the best team in Europe, it shows progression etc etc. Talk about put the mockers on something never was in it. It's a bit like every time a commentator bigs a player up saying he's this that and the other, you can be absolutely certain that the next time he gets the ball he'll fall erse over t!t over it. It's absolutely inevitable.

Look, in Europe I don't think anybody sane would dispute we have progressed immensely. Most people expected us to win last night, which isn't necessarily because most people think the Premiership is the stronger league, it's also because we generally do in Europe. It was a great performace, the players and the manager deserve credit, lots of it. We move on though, we've got another game coming up at the weekend, and we really really could do with winning that as well. Progression in the league is by no means as clear cut as it is in the Champions League. We need to get a few results to give ourselves a chance of making it so.

Yes the best team in Europe ranking is lovely, but I do see where Peewee is coming from. We aren't the best team in Europe (it is Ok to say that right without being a c...  ???) so while it's maybe not meaningless, it certainly means less than where we finish up in the league.

I swear though, one good result and we jump up on our high horses with the old nah nah nah-nah nah's. Why not just for once be quietly confident, see how things pan out before we start proclaiming that people are a joke for not quite getting the prayer mats out yet.

I apologise for this post which meant I wasn't a real fan. I apologise for saying it was a "great result" and for saying that I don't think any sane person could deny that we have 'improved immensly" in Europe. 

I unreservedly apologise for saying that most people expected us to win, not because the Premiership is the stronger league, but because we generally do in Europe. When I said it was a "great performance" and that "the manager and the players deserve credit, lots of it" I was totally out of order. Obviously, when i said the best ranking thing was "Lovely" I was slightly taking the p!ss, so sorry about that.

I was much too negative, and totally deserved on the back of that post, being told "FFS sake be a real supporter for once" and that if I couldn't be more positive, to "let it go and stay out of the thread".

Really sorry guys.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:52 pm

What the hell has gone on here? I haven't posted in ages and when I come back Big Mick has turned into Michael Douglas in Falling Down!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 pm

bigmick wrote:
bigmick wrote:How many times will we do this before we learn FFS :D I swear sometimes the more positive side of the forum talk us into defeats. We win one game (and I'm not saying it wasn't a great result etc) and we go into super gloat mode  :D All of a sudden anybody who had/has doubts was/is wrong, we're the best team in Europe, it shows progression etc etc. Talk about put the mockers on something never was in it. It's a bit like every time a commentator bigs a player up saying he's this that and the other, you can be absolutely certain that the next time he gets the ball he'll fall erse over t!t over it. It's absolutely inevitable.

Look, in Europe I don't think anybody sane would dispute we have progressed immensely. Most people expected us to win last night, which isn't necessarily because most people think the Premiership is the stronger league, it's also because we generally do in Europe. It was a great performace, the players and the manager deserve credit, lots of it. We move on though, we've got another game coming up at the weekend, and we really really could do with winning that as well. Progression in the league is by no means as clear cut as it is in the Champions League. We need to get a few results to give ourselves a chance of making it so.

Yes the best team in Europe ranking is lovely, but I do see where Peewee is coming from. We aren't the best team in Europe (it is Ok to say that right without being a c...  ???) so while it's maybe not meaningless, it certainly means less than where we finish up in the league.

I swear though, one good result and we jump up on our high horses with the old nah nah nah-nah nah's. Why not just for once be quietly confident, see how things pan out before we start proclaiming that people are a joke for not quite getting the prayer mats out yet.

I apologise for this post which meant I wasn't a real fan. I apologise for saying it was a "great result" and for saying that I don't think any sane person could deny that we have 'improved immensly" in Europe. 

I unreservedly apologise for saying that most people expected us to win, not because the Premiership is the stronger league, but because we generally do in Europe. When I said it was a "great performance" and that "the manager and the players deserve credit, lots of it" I was totally out of order. Obviously, when i said the best ranking thing was "Lovely" I was slightly taking the p!ss, so sorry about that.

I was much too negative, and totally deserved on the back of that post, being told "FFS sake be a real supporter for once" and that if I couldn't be more positive, to "let it go and stay out of the thread".

Really sorry guys.

Mick why does every post have to be full of sarcasim with the theory being your always wronged ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 pm

JBG wrote:What the hell has gone on here? I haven't posted in ages and when I come back Big Mick has turned into Michael Douglas in Falling Down!

:D  :laugh: good note to finish on. Bedtime (I keep saying it but I can't take my eyes off the screen).
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:59 pm

peewee wrote:
Effes wrote:
Effes wrote:

All Im saying with regard to this is - some people are more critical, some more positive (not sure what the opposite of critical is).
At the end of the day - people should analys the content of a post rather than the angle it comes from.

Back on topic:-

This co-efficient thing has run for a few years and is used by UEFA when seedings are appraised.
I think it's great to be top - while we aren't current Champions, it is something that shows quantitavely how
we have progressed into a team that is now considered a force in Europe.

I will agree, no ranking system is required anyway for that; we all know Man U, Barca, Milan etc are forces
in Europe anyway.
However - if any ranking table is compiled, it's great to see us at the top.

Just a side note - One thing which is totally undisputable is that Rafa is a master in Europe.
As for the debate of progress under Rafa goes - he has achieved the maximum in Europe (in his reign so far).

Let's just hope we see off Real as we expect, and march on to a hat-trick in Rome.

Im just quoting, to re-iterate what I said.

It's all Im saying on it - if you all want to argue, fine.

Let's get back on topic.

effes is arguing with himself now

:laugh:

:D

Just trying to get myself heard over the shouting.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:01 pm

OI Effes i replied to your post :D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:03 pm

GYBS wrote:Mick why does every post have to be full of sarcasim with the theory being your always wronged ?

I think the point is GYBS that you don't need to be a blinkers on red tinted glasses see no faults poster to be a "real fan". Mick made a quite happy clappy post and was jumped on for no good reason (that I could see).

Dawson has been in a "take no prisoners" mood for a while now, and Mick was just unfortunate to feel the full force of Dawson's wrath unleashed like dogs from hell.
account deleted by request

Postby GYBS » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:05 pm

I didnt mention anything about real fan rubbish
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:09 pm

s@int wrote:
GYBS wrote:Mick why does every post have to be full of sarcasim with the theory being your always wronged ?

I think the point is GYBS that you don't need to be a blinkers on red tinted glasses see no faults poster to be a "real fan". Mick made a quite happy clappy post and was jumped on for no good reason (that I could see).

Dawson has been in a "take no prisoners" mood for a while now, and Mick was just unfortunate to feel the full force of Dawson's wrath unleashed like dogs from hell.

Meh.

It was just a nice post to start with, then littleman and bigmick started asking what the point of it was. the glass is alway half full with some people.

now kneel before zod
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:10 pm

GYBS wrote:I didnt mention anything about real fan rubbish

I never said you did mate ? Which is why I mentioned Dawson and his wrath who said something like ....."be a supporter for onceMick " or something similar anyway.
account deleted by request

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:11 pm

couldn't really be bothered to look through the whole thread since the first and last page looked pretty similar, but has anyone brought up the actual importance of the list? Its important to be in the top 8 because that ensures your standing of being a pot 1 team when they draw the group stage of next years CL.
JoeTerp

Postby dawson99 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:12 pm

s@int wrote:
GYBS wrote:I didnt mention anything about real fan rubbish

I never said you did mate ? Which is why I mentioned Dawson and his wrath who said something like ....."be a supporter for onceMick " or something similar anyway.

and why shouldnt i say it?
wouldnt it be nice if just once when some good news was broadcast the fans could say

"nice one, a little respect for our hard work"

not

"it dont count for sh!t"

and Joe, It's important because it's good news about our club, and we need all the good news we can get on this forum.
Last edited by dawson99 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:16 pm

JoeTerp wrote:couldn't really be bothered to look through the whole thread since the first and last page looked pretty similar, but has anyone brought up the actual importance of the list? Its important to be in the top 8 because that ensures your standing of being a pot 1 team when they draw the group stage of next years CL.

I suppose Joe, being 4th is better than 7th - because if you do badly in a season you could drop a few places.
Being 4th would ensure you stay in that top 8.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion