Liverpool eyeing bowditch

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:45 am

Liverpool are eyeing Bowditch to make a switch to Liverpool hes supposed to be a bright young talent with a lot of prospects im not to sure on this one ???  shouldnt we be looking for someone in the form of defoe or hopefully mista will want to come when his contracts up then hes a free agent. bowditch might not be to expensive but hes yet to prove himself in the prem?

Liverpool Football Club plan January swoop
14:35 September, 5, 2004
Liverpool Football Club are planning a New Year swoop on one of the brightest young talents outside the Premiership.

The Reds are said to be lining up a January move for Ipswich Town forward Dean Bowditch – although Tractor Boys chairman David Sheepshanks has rejected these claims.

"I read reports that Dean was going to Liverpool and it's complete poppycock," Sheepshanks said. "Some of the speculation has been dangerously close to suggesting that decisions are being made against the best interests of the team.”

Bowditch is rated as one of the best talents outside the top-flight, and although Sheepshanks is naturally eager to keep him, the Championship club may be forced to cash in if a big offer were made.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:00 pm

I haven't seen much of Bowditch but I've heard nothing but good things about him.

Ipswich Town are really begining to knock out some decent talent: Darren Bent looks like a handy player.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby taff » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:08 pm

They must hate us as we hate Madrid etc

I'd like to see some buys for the future from "lesser" clubs in Britain
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:11 pm

A few of my mates back home are season ticket holders at Ipswich and they reckon he is the best of a fantastic crop of youngsters that have rolled off their youth academy since Dyer left. In fact Im surprised we havnt been in for some more of them before.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:21 pm

I think I  heard that Alan Shearer once rang Bowditch out of the blue last season and congradulated him on a fine performance in a league match.

There is no harm in trying out one or two young players from the lower divisions. I know it doesn't always work as Spurs found out with Bobby Zamorra (Jermaine Defoe doesn't count as he was effectively an established Premiership player who found himself at a relegated club) but if the price was right (i.e. its pointless paying over the odds just because the player is English) then maybe its time to take a chance on a young English player from a lower league club.

Hell, we have been taking chances on continental players for the past 6 years.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:23 pm

danny murphy (crewe) and jamie redknapp (bournemouth) are two of the few english players i can remember us picking up from lower league clubs. ???
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:27 pm

You can add Mark Kennedy, Rob Jones, David James and Chris Kirkland to that list.

A handful of players in a decade.

I know times have changed and the days of picking up a Hansen or Nicol from the dregs of Scotland or the likes of Keegan from Scuthorpe are gone, but if I was have a choice of blowing a million on a Troare or a young lad from Ipswich I'd be more inclined to go for the native lad.

I'd keep a close eye on West Ham as the talent they have produced over the past 6 or 7 years has been immense.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:28 pm

My apologies Mick: Waster Kennedy is Irish, but he was a "home" buy.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby laza » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:44 pm

While not English dont forget Rushie from Chester
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:48 pm

Rush was back in the late 1970s/early 1980s, a period when most of our signings were obscure bargains from backwaters such as Chester (ok, Chester's a nice enough place), Partick, Alloa, Coventry etc.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby laza » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:50 pm

Yeah now we get them from backwaters in Africa and the Balkans except they aint bargains.........so much for progress
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 106-1093504160 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:51 pm

and craig johnston from boro (also a lesser club). Ian Rush also came from a lesser club
106-1093504160

Postby madred » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:55 pm

Nick Barmby also came from a lesser club also and look at the impact he made? :D
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adayinthelife » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:53 pm

Most managers seem afraid to risk buying any young player from the lower divisions as they are untried at the highest level.

Every player no matter who is a risk.

A prime example of this is blackburn in deep trouble last season went and signed Stead who was banging in goals all the way down in the 3rd div.

They paid a paltry 1m and he scored 6 in 11 games.

Souness has admitted that without Stead they could easily have been relegated and without his signing would Souness have just gone and got himself a job with another huge club ???

IMO it is a chance he doesn't deserve as he did such a hatchet job on our great club. :angry:

He was prepared to take a major gamble maybe out of desperation more than shrewdness but either way it has paid off for him in a major way.

Great player but what a bollox. :laugh:
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:36 am

Nick Barmby also came from a lesser club also and look at the impact he made?

:laugh:

Class!!
115-1073096938

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion