How did you end up supporting liverpool?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby thegreedo » Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:45 pm

Moved to london from the dingle with my mum & dad (bluenoses!!!) when I was 3. My uncle smuggled me onto the Kop behind my dad's back for a rainy tuesday night game against boro in 1977, I was 7 and souness was playing for boro!! That's it I was hooked, been a dyed in the wool red ever since!!
(I'll just have to live with the shame of having bluenose parents!)

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby muttleyp » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:04 pm

I started supporting Liverpool in the late eighties because both my older brothers supported them. they have since jumped ship and started supporting London clubs, but i'm LFC through and through and have just started going to watch matches.
muttleyp

Postby kopite » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:32 pm

I started supporting the pool when I was 8/9 when I wanted the strip then I just watched them so much cause they're just the best . Doesn't sound right Ay :D
kopite

Postby azriahmad » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:35 am

I started in 1975 when I saw a very energetic player, quite small compared to the others, who was a buzz of industry, skill and energy with a very big curly hairdo, wearing no 7 playing with a big fella at the strike force of Liverpool. His name was Kevin Keegan. He was fantastic! I was hooled ever since...
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:40 am

Typo there..."I was hooked ever since."

The lingering memories were the great Souness-Dalglish era, we had 2 of our best ever players. I love Graeme Souness the player and it really pained me when he had such an undistinguished time as Liverpool manager. He is a complete midfielder, something Steven Gerrard still has a lot to learn from him, no reason as to why Gerrard should not be as accomplished as Gerrard is naturally more gifted than Souness ever was. Of course, Souness selling his story to the Sun did not help matters with his popularity amongst the fans. I happened to be in England at that moment in time, and was also residing in England from 1975-77.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso_Rulz » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:50 am

john craig wrote:I'm from Ireland but my dad was a liverpool fan and he had brainwashed me by the time I was about 8.

The first game I watched on tv was against arsenal at home in the season we last won the league.  I was hooked after that

same here, my dad is a liverpool supporter during the Rush era... and kind of make mi become a liverpool fan... coz the club is very modest compared to the likes of MAnc .. very down to earth.. for a start.. i "did" support beckham though.
Alonso_Rulz

Postby KennyisGod....still » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:14 pm

My dad instilled the 'passion' thing into me, that football was played with the heart as well as the head, from a very early age.I guess the moment that sealed my support was seein Shanks after the 74 Cup Final and the obvious love between manager and fans. Been a Scotland fan all that time too, so there aint a soul on this earth could say I was jus a midlands glory hunter!! You can imagine my pride when the best ever (IMO) player to pull on the Red Shirt also pulled on a dark blue one so often.....jus a shame the success didnt follow him!! :p
I aint never regretted a moment, for club nor country, but my two kids can make their own choices as to internationals, I took far too much stick and should be one really twisted individual now. However, if either of them come home in a Scum shirt they'll be in the shed. :angry:  :D  :D  :D
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fingers » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:27 pm

ha great thread.

I started begining of 87-88 season, as i am a watford lad i used to go to the home games, and started idolising John Barnes, thought he was a god and i was defo gonna grow up to be just like him.

He signed for Liverpool and i carried on watching him, just to realise that there were players like Beardsley and Aldo out there too. that was me sold, also i didn't realise you were allowed to play the ball through midfield on the ground. ( anyone who remembers the direct style of Watford in the 80's will know what i mean)

Also i already hated Everton coz of the 84 FA cup final. so it was an easy step to make. :D
As always I am focused on supporting the Cloob and the Manager
Fingers

Postby Noise Noise » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:51 pm

Had to have been about 84 when i was 8 or 9 and started collecting Shoot, they had a couple of posters of KD and IR.  Well i knew Kenny from playing for Ecosse and the guy was fantastic so it kinda grew from there.  Then i found out the first LFC side were pretty much made up of Scots, the best players in the world at the time, heh :)

A few things have cemented my support for the team along the way, the success, Heysel, Hillsborough, great european matches at Anfield and the general air of a truly decent and worthy football club.

Uncomparable.
Noise Noise

Postby lfclfclfc » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:13 pm

my dad was a arsenal fan so I grew up watching gooner matches from 4 to 5 years old. took me a couple of years to fall in love with the 'Candy' jersey. never looked back since. took another few years to convert my dad. many more years later to meet my wife and convert her. and in a few weeks time, my daughter will be born a red! next target, my mom, who doesn't watch football.  :;):
lfclfclfc

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion