Houliers reason for losing at portsmouth - What a joke

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby big al » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:40 pm

Its great to see so many people against Houlier.  I wonder he turns Leeds over will that still be the case.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby simic_ie » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:42 pm

Not really cos Leeds are playing sh*t this season and are someone who sould be beaten fairly easily under normal circustances
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:53 pm

John Barnes' Granny I agree with every word you say apart from Diouf as I think he's proving to be a great signing. If we had ten outfield players showing the same effort and commitment as he does week-in week-out then we wouldn't be in the mess we're in. Having moved back to the UK this year I've got to see a few games live and Diouf never fails to impress me, I'm a big Hesket fan too but I can appreciate it's becoming increasingly difficult to defend this view.

The blame for this clearly lies with GH as you've articulated, bring on O'Neill before we lose Stevie G and little Michael......... :(
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby istvan kozma » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:09 pm

i  like  him  -  i  just  dont  think  he  can  take  it  any  further  ,  the  sale  of  litmanen  was  criminal  - but  he  has been  a  great  manager  for  us , we  won  virtually  nothing  in  7-8  years  before  he  came !
istvan kozma

Postby JBG » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:52 pm

big al wrote:Its great to see so many people against Houlier.  I wonder he turns Leeds over will that still be the case.

Even if we beat Leeds 5-0 I will not acknowledge that Houllier has turned things around. We will probably go on a good run again at some stage, buying Houllier some time, but there is always another crisis just around the corner.

I think that in most fans eyes the only way Houllier could redeem himself is to win the Championship. He promised as much 5 years ago and since then people have stuck by him through thick and thin and he has had loads of money to spend.

Even if he got us into the Champions League I would not be happy as that is the absolute minimum expected and at the stage Liverpool should have been ready to take the Championship, but Houllier messed it up after the last World Cup.

I remember a time when opposition teams were absolutely terrified of us but now we are increasingly becoming the new Spurs. Players and teams from the continent no longer see Liverpool as a "big club".

We need the Roy Keane mentality where failure is simply unjustifiable and unexcusable. Steven Gerrard needs to look at Keane and give the team a bit of leadership, even if it means that he occasionally argues with or criticises team mates.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby dpbradders » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:12 pm

You lot were garbage on saturday. Pompey played you off the park. I'd be embarassed to were the shirt. over paid over rated. they should take a leaf from the great players of pompey book and then you would know about passion and commitment. a brilliant result for a brilliant club Play up Pompey!! :angry:
dpbradders

Postby dpbradders » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:13 pm

You lot were garbage on saturday. Pompey played you off the park. I'd be embarassed to were the shirt. over paid over rated. they should take a leaf from the great players of pompey book and then you would know about passion and commitment. a brilliant result for a brilliant club Play up Pompey!!
dpbradders

Postby Mark_Walters » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:25 pm

At least he didn't come up with the immortal phrase 'I'm proud of my players' on Saturday. His excuses are pretty lame, and he doesn't seem to know what he's doing. This 'natural progression' houllier rhetoric is just complete cr#p. Why play tight and defensive for 4 years and then suddenly change. He panicked after 3 games and Michael Owen basically said 'Make me more chances and i'll consider staying'.

Next step, GH suddenly plays gung ho football, with absolutely no idea at all how to play it. Its about getting results not how the team plays first and formost. U can play a tight enough game, if you have the quality to make chances. And we've got too many players who don't contribute dogshit.
Mark_Walters

Postby Mark_Walters » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:28 pm

Yeah but 'Pompey' are sh##e anyway and your going back down where u belong next season. That will be your last victory of the season!
Mark_Walters

Postby Gazz » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:27 pm

Boys lets not forget sunderland took 4 pionts from us last season and they where there worst side ever in the prem.

Its not a new thing that we are underpeforming
Gazz

Postby supersub » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:45 pm

pompey have had their cup-final,it's all down hill for them now.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Redlester » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:39 pm

People on this site are talking about "beating Leeds" - after Portsmouth I would take nothing for granted - the way things are at the minute we don't seem to be capable of beating anyone. The excuse this time was the players were tired after the UEFA game - tired??? Premiership players should be able to cope with a mid week game and still perform on a Saturday - those that aren't should be shipped out. Surely the board has to see that if we lose to Leeds then GH has to go and then they appoint a caretaker until Martin O'Neill is released by Celtic
Redlester

Postby JBG » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:36 am

RE: Martin O' Neill.

I watched the Celtic-Anderlect games last night and the Belgians had a man sent off early. Instead of spreading the ball wide to Agathe and Thompson (which Celtic always do), the game became condensed and Thompson got sucked into centre midfield. The commentator (John Toshak) was screaming at O' Neill to get Celtic to stretch the Belgians on the wings, but for some strange reason they didn't and lost.

I'm still a big fan of O' Neill but really Celtic should have won the game last night.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:39 pm

I have been a big supporter of GH, and regonise what he has achieved for the club, he brought a seriously declining squad into one which is capable of being amongst the top three in England.  But i think his illness has seriously effected him, no longer does he go on scouting missions during the internation break, instead he goes on holiday to france. also in his press conferences he seems to be less charasmatic and enthausastic, if houllier can not give his whole heart and fuull attention to the club, then he must do the hounarble thing and resign at the end of the season, i predict there will be an amicable agreement at the end of the season where he parts company with the club of takes a boardroom position, i only hope that we appoint either Gordan Strachan or Gus hiddink, contrasting styles but both effective in their own ways, THANK YOU HOULLIER for what you have done but now the time is righr to part.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:46 pm

I also supported Houllier for a long time and I was proud of his achievements up until 2002. He made us a force again, and that is something he can be happy with.

HOWEVER.......Houllier lost the plot when Liverpool started playing badly last year. He had nothing up his sleeve when things started going wrong, just like what happened to him in 1993 when his French international team suddenly collapsed. He had extremely good players at the time (Ginola, Dessailley, Barthez, Deschamps, Papin, Lizarazu, Cantona etc) but when the team started to struggle he was helpless.

I don't think his illness has really affected him. He still works his ***** off, its just that he is clueless about how to turn things around and too stuborn to admit that he has made certain mistakes i.e. Heskey, Biscan, Smicer etc.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion