Good result - A step in the right direction

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat May 08, 2004 9:09 pm

Alright guys, just got back and I have a few points from todays game. I was ecstatic with the result, and also the performance which in my opinion at this late stage in the season is not as important. However I do have a few things to share with you people if you will indulge me.........

Stevie G, the lad scares the living daylights out of me, he gets better with each and every game, he tackles hard, breaks well, shoots, reads the game, scores, makes goals, and gets the best out of everyone around him. He is the complete midfielder, and hes only in his early twenties. f##k knows what he will be able to do when he reaches his peak. People who come on here and slag the youth system at the academy need to take heed. If your youth system produces one lad of his calibre every five years then you have to say it is a resounding success. Stevie will either lead this team onto European and domestic glory or he will leave and command a huge fee which would set you up for life. Now you know which one I want, but either way that is what a youth set up is all about. ABSOLUTE CLASS.

Emile Heskey, it breaks my heart to see Emile play like he does all season and then produce performances like he did today and against Blackburn. In that type of form you can see why we paid £11m for the lad. Why oh why cant he produce that more often. However I think he bought himself a nice contract with Birmingham next season with his display today. I wish him well, but I wish he performed for us more often in the last four years. GREAT GAME.

Aston Villa, you must take your hats off to the lads, today they made it impossible for Aston Villa to finish above us, to claim the Champions League spot, and that is a big big step towards that elusive champions league berth for us. (Villa still can, but it would mean them winning 6-0 against the scum, Newcastle losing tomorrow and on Wednesday and then us losing to Newcastle 0-6 next weekend). The lads have hit form just at the right time, and that 4th place is crucial to our next seasons signings and placing at the end of the season. To miss out on CL football again could set us adrift of the top three for good. WELL DONE BOYS

Newcastle United, all we really need now is for them to lose one of the next two, (or draw both), games and we are in fourth spot without needing a win next Saturday. I would love to be able to go into that last game and sing "Champions League, Your havin a laugh" out loud as it has been to us all season to those toon army boys. Make no mistake, we are now in pole position, and all of the pressure is on Newcastle. In all honesty can you see them winning all three games thay have left, I cant. GAME ON

Fingers crossed, and something good will come of this poorest of poor seasons.

You'll Never Walk Alone
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cheesecakery » Sat May 08, 2004 9:14 pm

hi , did you come in your drawers fatty ? :D
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat May 08, 2004 9:15 pm

cheesecakery wrote:hi , did you come in your drawers fatty ? :D

No as usual I came in your mothers mouth.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Sat May 08, 2004 10:25 pm

A plums, you could off got me a ticket lid.

Alezz alezz

Gerard houllier :laugh:
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat May 08, 2004 11:20 pm

Great game definately.  Gerrard was brilliant as usual, he seems to me to be a young Roy Keane in many ways.  He might make a few msitakes as he controls the game but he does just that, controls the game.  He is fiery, inspirational and sheer class I think the captaincy of Liverpool could not be in safer hands.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby JBG » Sat May 08, 2004 11:34 pm

I have been very quick to criticise Liverpool this season and 9/10 I think my criticism has been justified.

However, I think that praise is due to Gerrard Houllier and his players today after the last three games.

The performance today was exceptional against awkward opponents. Heskey was excellent, Owen dangerous and Gerrard simply MONSTROUS with his punishing thrusts from midfield.

Fair play to the lads.............but the obvious question is why the hell haven't we been playing like that all season?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 84-1083280474 » Sun May 09, 2004 12:07 am

Hello!

YEs, we've played well recently, but the lack of form consistently over the season is down to quality players. You can only rely on steven gerrard who is basically the "boss" in the liverpool team to consistently pull it out of the hat, and hes going out there with the metality to destroy teams like brimingham who we should be destroying anyway!
what we have to worry about, is next season....where do we go form here? New boss, new players? etc if we are in the champs league, and want to do well, we ned more quality in the team and not just  Cisse.
84-1083280474

Postby JBG » Sun May 09, 2004 12:15 am

The Hustler: if your post was directed at me then maybe you should take the courtesy of actually reading my post.

I have criticised Houllier and the team all season and that criticism has been justified, I think.

However, the team has performed well in the last three games under circumstances of huge pressure, and I think they deserve a certain amount of praise for that.

Even if we thrash Newcastle 5-0 at Anfield and qualify for the Champions League in style serious questions must be asked and answered in the summer over why we haven't been closer to Arsenal.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun May 09, 2004 12:25 am

In all honesty I dont think its getting closer to Arsenal that is the problem this season. Lets face it they have been outstanding, even freaky this season and they have a good chance of going the whole season unbeaten. This sort of thing does not happen, last time was 1890 summit, so that is a false position.

The problem is the gap between ourselves and Man U and Chelski, which will be 13 and 16 respectivey. This is not acceptable, but considering how sh##e we have been at times this year its not all that bad. Four or five games we "should" have won being won and there would be no real difference. I know it hurts, but take a good look and despite our failings there is some optimism abound.

I am not saying this is acceptable, just that we dont have a time machine and cant change what has happened so maybe we should try and take some positives from the season.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby daddyo » Sun May 09, 2004 12:50 am

Agree with you Leonmc. Whilst none of us will forget the abject disappointment of games like Charlton an Wolves, when the good games come along they sure warm your heart.

Close attention does need to be paid to the gap between us Manure an Chelski bearing in mind that Manure have themselves had a pretty poor season(and boy is it good to hear them whine),and the realisation that had we played like that more often this season we would be challenging the a#se.

We don't need to go beatin off about a few decent performances, but hope springs eternal and maybe this phoenix can rise from the ashes that have been season 2003/2004! YNWA:D
daddyo

Postby JohnBull » Sun May 09, 2004 9:06 am

Houllier has simply returned to where we were 2/3 years ago with players being used in their natural  positions, Heskey and Owen always was our best front line and Gerrard must be given free range.
The players signed over the past couple of years have,in most cases ,needed a change of style to fit in and the constant changes are the problem with Houllier who's learning curve has cost millions.
If you get close to a winning format it is stupid to buy players who would need major changes to that format.
The Brum game was the best performace I've seen from Liverpool in years and the first in years where we managed to attack in waves - brought back good memories!!
Any signings must be to support that style,not change it
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun May 09, 2004 11:48 am

Makes so much difference with players playing in the natural positions. Now even Dudek looks unstoppable. As for Heskey, Yes he played well, but i will still want to sell him. He seems to only play well when his future is uncertain. If anything his display today should increase his transfer fees by 2 million. If can sell him for 7 million, it should be great.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 09, 2004 12:17 pm

delighted with the result and the performance yesterday! i just have one question though, WHERE THE HELL HAS THAT BEEN FOR THE LAST 35 GAMES? when you see us play like that it makes a mockery of our league position. my position on the manager has not changed but i have to take my hat off to him for getting the team selection SPOT ON after the win over the boro last weekend. here were my general observations.

Dudek- looked solid as a rock. got rid of his tendancy to punch the ball and caught everything that came his way. still a class act.

Defence- solid as a rock again. only really allowed one clear chance to forssell or morrison. carragher was superb and looks a natural to me alongside sami at the back.

Gerrard- absolutely world class, brilliant, inspirational, driving. i am literally running out of superlatives for this guy. scored one and made one. everyone says his defensive qualities are his best but if that is the case god help everyone else judging by his attacking display! irreplaceable.

Heskey and Owen- first time the partnership has blossomed all season. for once aswell their movement off the ball was top class. it shows why the manager prefers heskey and owen as supposed to baros, because when it comes off it cuts defences to shreds. shame heskey only plays this well once in a while. i think brum would have been impressed though. as for stmichael, he may have missed a couple but his finish for the goal was WORLD CLASS.

all in all, a classic away performance! that's how we should be playing at home.

:)  :)  :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby fritzylfc » Sun May 09, 2004 12:31 pm

is the far east coming to anfield? would you trust le boss with 65 million.? i certaianly would not.
fritzylfc

Postby Badmao1 » Sun May 09, 2004 12:46 pm

Agree with the majority of whats been said, certainly the best performance i've seen from us for a while.

Hamann anf Kewell also played well but were not outstanding.

I have always been a big fan of Danny Murphy but he looked like our weakest link today along with Steve Finnan.

4th spot looks ours but lets hope it doesn't come down to the last game.
Badmao1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion