Good result - A step in the right direction

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Sun May 09, 2004 1:22 pm

Yeah, Hope Wolves beat Newcastle. Then it should be OK for us.......... :D

1 more thing. Yesterday's line-up also confirmed 1 more thing. Diao & Diouf have no more future in Liverpool. 14 million quid, coulf have gotten us Duff.....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 09, 2004 1:40 pm

if you ask me, diouf and diao have no future in the premiership. who's gonna wanna buy them? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JohnBull » Sun May 09, 2004 3:08 pm

The Senegal connection is typical of the mistakes under Houllier. There was no need to buy these players,as with the rest of the rubbish he's bought in. The best buys have been those who could fit in to the existing system,which was close to being right. Purchases should anticipate injuries and loss of form and be able to take over the vacancy.
My problem is that Houllier, not the board, made these terrible signings of EHD,Biscan etc and he then tried to con the supporters into believing they were good signings. NO ONE can con The Kop, we knew they were cr#p, but it has now cost us millions to get back where we were.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 09, 2004 3:12 pm

i agree john bull. you can't buy players just because they have a couple of decent games. it's no coincidence that even yesterday, our best performers, with the exception of heskey, were here before houllier even arrived.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 09, 2004 4:07 pm

Houllier has simply returned to where we were 2/3 years ago with players being used in their natural  positions, Heskey and Owen always was our best front line and Gerrard must be given free range.
The players signed over the past couple of years have,in most cases ,needed a change of style to fit in and the constant changes are the problem with Houllier who's learning curve has cost millions.
If you get close to a winning format it is stupid to buy players who would need major changes to that format.
The Brum game was the best performace I've seen from Liverpool in years and the first in years where we managed to attack in waves - brought back good memories!!
Any signings must be to support that style,not change it

Well said.

I've been saying this all season. Now as it stands the tactics we have are excellent, i just feel the problem is the personel. Look at what happens when they do the business. Chelsea away, Man Utd away, Birmingham away etc etc.

Cisse will fit into that system. A pacey but solid centre half who has to be able to use the ball well would fit into that system and they would improve the side immensely.

i agree john bull. you can't buy players just because they have a couple of decent games. it's no coincidence that even yesterday, our best performers, with the exception of heskey, were here before houllier even arrived.

Carragher, Murphy and Owen??

Houllier signed, Hyypia, Finnan, Riise, Dudek, Heskey, Hamann, Kewell and brought Gerrard through and gave him his debeut.

So stop talking balls.
115-1073096938

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun May 09, 2004 4:22 pm

JohnBull wrote:The Senegal connection is typical of the mistakes under Houllier. There was no need to buy these players,as with the rest of the rubbish he's bought in. The best buys have been those who could fit in to the existing system,which was close to being right. Purchases should anticipate injuries and loss of form and be able to take over the vacancy.
My problem is that Houllier, not the board, made these terrible signings of EHD,Biscan etc and he then tried to con the supporters into believing they were good signings. NO ONE can con The Kop, we knew they were cr#p, but it has now cost us millions to get back where we were.

I hear what you are saying john, the signings have not come good, but you have to houllier credit where it is due, he came out himself and said the same thing when questioned at the AGM last time.

You are wrong on the point you make with regard to us knowing that they were cr#p before he signed them. You have to admit that we didnt know of them prior to signing them, but you also must admit that they looked good during the World Cup in Japan, and against France Diouf was excellent, and the goal which Diao scored when they moved from one box to the other made me think he was a good player. I am not saying I am pleased with the signings, far from it, but when thay were first confirmed I thought they would be good additions to the squad.

Transfers are not easy, even Wenger and Furgeson make mistakes, GH was unlucky that he made three in one close season.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 09, 2004 4:41 pm

This seasons signings were superb imo.
115-1073096938

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun May 09, 2004 5:03 pm

Harry Kewell for £5m, no one would have beleived that if you'd have said it two years ago.

Finnan, been OK, looking for a little more next season.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 09, 2004 6:42 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Carragher, Murphy and Owen??

Houllier signed, Hyypia, Finnan, Riise, Dudek, Heskey, Hamann, Kewell and brought Gerrard through and gave him his debeut.

So stop talking balls.

yeah i'm talking balls!

the team played superbly well yesterday, but if you had to pick out anybody who stood out it would be carragher, gerrard, owen and heskey. three of those four were not signed by houllier, they were already there.

hamann, kewell, finnan all played well but did nothing spectacular in yesterdays game, thats all i'm saying.

stop spittin your dummy out ffs.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 09, 2004 9:26 pm

Gerrard was an unheard of kid.

Houllier brought him through and made him the player he is today. The same with Owen and Murphy who used to be a lazy f##ker with no defensive side to his game at all.

Don't give me cr#p about natural evoloution either. Ferdinand left West Ham because he wouldn't have become the player he is today had he stayed, Cole is the prime example. Had he been given the correct coaching from a younger age he could have become a hell of a player. Probably even world class. Now it looks like he'll only ever be a bit part player at a big club, the same for Defoe who is now only starting to show glimpses of what he can do.
115-1073096938

Postby JohnBull » Mon May 10, 2004 12:50 am

Anyone who gives Houllier credit for a natural like Gerrard has not got a clue. The lad is a scouser who lives with scousers . He gets enough pressure from his own to realise what's needed. The tug of war between Houllier and Heighway over the move of Gerrard from The Academt to Melwood, which went on for months,was because The Academy didn't  trust  Houllier.
As for the signings from the last World Cup you must have been watching different games to me Senegal were the most over rated "African Wonder Team" since the other rubbish from The Cameroon. No Place in the Premier!!!!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion