Goalscoring - Or lack off

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mighty mo » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:11 am

you can,t judge on just two games,
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ALONSO_14 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:32 am

always have to be having a go at someone you people dont you, you can never be happy. dang i must have heard people on here having a go at everyone at the club from stevie g to mr smith the steward! all picking on cisse now after missing a couple of chances in 1 game, what player doesnt miss a few at one point or another
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neilE » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:41 am

good point Alonso - I'm no rose tinted glasses optimist myself, but unless I missed it, I haven't seen any posts at all saying what a fantastic strike alonso's goal was....................
neilE

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:20 am

The thing was that during pre-season we were banging in goals for fun,and everybody kept saying we should score lots this season and got carried away by it.
Now though the season has started and we have scored one from two games,hmmm.
We are not scoring as many goals as we should be ,but at least we are still picking up the points.The team never hands out regular cainings to the likes of Sunderland,Norwich ,Southampton and maybe Wigan.
Arsenal and Man u are more likely to run up a cricket score against these lot but not us.
I can only remember we thrashed WBA 0-5 last season but thats it really.

By the way i havent seen the games as yet (waiting for motd to get sent across the other side of the world).
Although i suppose as long as we are making the chances to score we shouldnt be to downhearted,i would be a little more worried if would couldnt carve chances out against the likes of Sunderland.
Look on the bright side we havent conceded yet have we  :D
Two games into the season shouldnt cause concern or panic,by the way im looking forward to the clash against Spurs that should be a real tester.
66-1112520797

Postby wee_boi888 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:25 am

Cisse didn't look like he was commited with a couple of the chance hes had (I guess i mean the two where he coulda headed in through the pack instead of chucking his leg up chest high).

Could it be a mental thing?
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:30 am

I think all our strikers are very capable of scoring goals, 3 of them are established international players, 2 of them are free scoring for there countries, however they all seem to be lacking somethin in the premiership and I hate saying give it time because time at the moment is what we can not give, we can not afford to let early games slip to draws or even losses.

If anyone has the season review for last season pay attention to baros scoring like a madman in the first few months of the season then he gets injured on international duty. After that he comes back around january time me thinks and doesnt score again apart the odd one. For some reason he lost his ability to finish the derby at anfield sums that up. But i can not explain why he stopped scoring. I suppose what i am saying is we no he can do it at least, so why sell him to bring in another premiership new boy like dirk kuyt or whatever only to find he needs time to adjust or god forbid just can not adjust (Kezman for example). IMO if we sell baros sign Owen (proven goalscorer in the prem). If not keep baros.

But although its the begining of the season and it hasnt cost us dear yet im not going to start spouting :censored: about get rid of morientes or cisse or whoever. However I feel an improvement needs to be shown in our strikers ability to knock in the simple chances (such as toe pokes from 5 or 6 yards) as well as the harder ones (like long range shots).

I only got to see MOTD but i saw morientes miss a free header which you dont expect from him, and cisse miss a simple finish to, two things they are there to thrive off.

I hate to say it but i feel we need a ruud van horseface style player to goal poach, But in my honest opinion i feel that having Owen and crouch as a partenership will work wonders but im sure that has its own problems. Crouch to head on to owen take it himself and hold it up, Owen to aply finishes from through balls as well as loose balls.

Oh well In RAFA I trust.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Luis Garcia » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:07 am

A.B. wrote:
Dont contradict me boy!

Owen still coming is he? watch Rafa's tv interview yesterday??

boo Hoo

As far as I know the transfer window is open until August 30th. Once again I point out that no where in any articles has Benitez said "I do not want Owen". We haven't made any bids on him but nobody has stated that we aren't interested in signing him.

But he did say he didnt want owen.

he said ..."I can assure again you, i am looking for a centre back, not a centre forward as we have 6! " when asked about owen.

that means he wont sign owen as owen is a striker!

its very simple. Owen aint coming so start crying your eyes out.

And Cisse's finishing reminds me of Emile Heskey, he may only last one more season.
Luis Garcia

Postby matrix » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:56 am

ALONSO_14 wrote:always have to be having a go at someone you people dont you, you can never be happy. dang i must have heard people on here having a go at everyone at the club from stevie g to mr smith the steward! all picking on cisse now after missing a couple of chances in 1 game, what player doesnt miss a few at one point or another

alonso im also going to say good post mate   several people are getting completely carried away about cisse   only two games have gone guys and girls  he did ok in pre season   also there had been press talk of him going back to france which i thought were bullsh.it  so im not suprised he was a little nervous    before you speak to the lord cisse    :bowdown

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:17 am

he said ..."I can assure again you, i am looking for a centre back, not a centre forward as we have 6! " when asked about owen.

Where in that statement do you see the name "Michael Owen"?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:40 am

A.B. wrote:

Where in that statement do you see the name "Michael Owen"?

:love:  :love:
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:47 am

I believe two or maybe three of the strikers will come good out of the four we currently have.
Time isnt really on there side, as the fans would like to see an immediate return of goals so with every game they fail to score there will be more discontent,plus added pressure to perform.

Cisse is the raw talent out the strikers we have ,he has an abundance of pace and can pack a rocket of a shot and also has as we all no the perfect attitude towards the game and club.
On the down side though there is plenty of room for improvement ,he tends to get caught offside a fair bit which is very frustrating ,also he can be quite rash in front of goal sometimes he could do with keeping a cool head.
Rafa has said they have been working on his movement in training this summer but as i havent been able to watch the matches i cant really comment on that.

So with Cisse the lad does need time ,with the guidance and training of Rafa and the coaching staff ,he is still young enough to learn and improve his game.
The question is will Rafa take the time it needs to get the best out of him ?

Next up we have Crouch who i think can turn out to be an unfacied but yet an excellent addition.I was sceptical to the signing in the begining but im now coming round to the idea that he is gonna be a very important squad member.
He brings with him a different style of forward compared to the Owen moulds and Cisse Moulds, he has great touch for a skyscraper ,his awareness on the pitch is as good if not better than any of the other strikers we have.He can bring others into play, also he can make a nuisance of himself with his height .
Though he may not seem to be a prolific goalscorer i still think he might be able to bag his fair share of goals.He does lack pace though which usually doesnt help a forward but his game isnt played on pace so therefor he is quite the opposite to Cisse.

Morientes ,Well what can you say the geezer has almost won every award and medal in the game he is a class act.He is a good player and he was excellent when he went on loan to Monaco ,now though he has arrived in England which is gonna be his sternist test as a striker to prove himself.
Spain suited his play and he was comfortable  plying his trade in France,then whooosh he is in the put into a league where the football is played at 100mph and so much more physically demanding.
With Nando i think its going to come down to his mental strenght, whether he will apply himself to the cause or whether he will shirk it ?

And finally Baros i for one am not his biggest fan,he is good at running with the ball ,but all to often its down a dead end in my view .He is a nuisance to opposing defenders and scurrys around like a jack Russell. He does have a great workrate ,which seems to be one of his biggest assets.
For me though he has been her for long enough he had a great chance last season to hold down a place in the team,he simply doesnt do what strikers  are supposed to do enough ,and thats put the ball in the back of the net,Also his attitude has come into question a few times.

All in all those are the four strikers we have at the mo ,now i do have my doubts whether they will prove effective enough as strikers,Why ??
Well because two of them are obviously getting acustomed to life in the prem,the other as i said could prove a good addition because of his style but there is no way we can rely on him to fire us up the league.
And its basically the same with Baros to.
So with that GOALs doesnt appear to be big in abundance with them four,i maybe wrong and i hope i am .
The simple answer would be Baros out Owen in then that way we have a proven marksman,easier said than done hey    :p

Thats my opinion   :cool:
Profile PM
66-1112520797

Postby L-type » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:01 am

mighty mo wrote:you can,t judge on just two games,

im not even gonna read the rest of your posts as they are all nonsense.  We are two games into the season and all there is, is bitc.hin and moaning!!  Thierry Henry would have 0 goals this season if it wasn't for a penalty!!  Does that make him a steaming pile of :censored:??  of course not.  Also bear in mind Cisse had a legit goal chalked off by a foolish linesman  (I think it was the same guy who sent off Welsh)  We have 36 games left, and hopefully a long cl campaign.  Lets make the best of it and have some fun. end of
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red marauder » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:39 am

my missus failed to put any sugar in my tea today.Shall i have her sacked or should i get a substitute missus?
     we're all human,anyone can have an off day.A little patience is called for.Cisse will produce the goods.We are still only bedding in our new strike force,the competition for places will bring in it's rewards.  have faith:p

I AM THE RED MAN,YOU ARE THE RED MEN,
         ALL SING THE CHORUS, LIV-LIV-ERPOOL!
RED MARAUDER
red marauder

Postby red_indian » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:45 am

i think any criticism of Cisse is a little harsh at this stage of the season. Having said that what i am concerned about is the lack of a finisher in our side - i put Cisse in the hit and hope category with sharp reflexes to play up front, but he's not the one to find the side netting with an accurate shot across the keeper, or score with a deft flick 1-on-1 with the keeper - well not based on what we have seen of him at Liverpool any way.

Now there is nothing wrong with that, i just think a player or a side needs a variation at the top level - this is why Henry is great as he can do both and run with the ball too, but he cannot head the ball. Difficult to have all attributes in one player, hence the need for different types of players in the squad. Cisse has his place in the squad, but i do feel we also need a clinical finisher
red_indian

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion