Gerrard in fine scoring form - Some goalscoring comparisons

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby terrydixon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
s@int wrote:
stmichael wrote:
john craig wrote:Torres and Gerrard are our best attacking players by far.  I think Gerrard will be enjoying not having all the pressure on him to be the difference in big games, same with Torres as it was the same for him at Athletico.  We are seeing that benefit both of their games'. 

Not for the first time this season, Torres was the difference for us last night.  He didn't even have his best game and still scored 2.  Far from his confidence being shot after his misses v Newcastle, he stepped right back up to the plate v Porto and didn't shy away - great to see.

10 goals in 13 starts is not bad for a player who was described as "not a clinical finisher" by several people when he signed (sabre included) :oops:

the guy is the best striker in the league right now bar none. infact he reminds me of henry in the way he seems to glide past players when the ball is at his feet.

who here wanted tevez over torres again? come on own up. :D

I wanted Tevez AND Torres, does that count?  and with all the rumours flying about now that Alonso is going to A.Madrid I would like Aguero in p/x.

What rumours about Alonso ?

I heard that Atletico MAdrid wants him.
And before the season starts Real Madrid also wanted to have Alonso.

But well keep him for sure
--------------------REINA----------

FINNAN-----CARRAGHER---AGGER----RIISE

PENNANT-----GERRARD------ALONSO------BABEL

------------TORRES-----------KUYT

The Team which dominates Europe!!!!!
terrydixon

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:
stmichael wrote:
john craig wrote:Torres and Gerrard are our best attacking players by far.  I think Gerrard will be enjoying not having all the pressure on him to be the difference in big games, same with Torres as it was the same for him at Athletico.  We are seeing that benefit both of their games'. 

Not for the first time this season, Torres was the difference for us last night.  He didn't even have his best game and still scored 2.  Far from his confidence being shot after his misses v Newcastle, he stepped right back up to the plate v Porto and didn't shy away - great to see.

10 goals in 13 starts is not bad for a player who was described as "not a clinical finisher" by several people when he signed (sabre included) :oops:

the guy is the best striker in the league right now bar none. infact he reminds me of henry in the way he seems to glide past players when the ball is at his feet.

i remember YOU saying he was completly overated once as well  ???

at the prices that were being banded around for him yes. i mean some of the quotes were closer to £30m than £20m. i'd seen him quite a bit at athletico and he never fully convinced, even though he spent a lot of the time playing upfront on his own with little or no support.

on this one, i am quite happy to have been proven wrong. he obviously performs better with better players. :D
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:37 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
s@int wrote:
stmichael wrote:

I wanted Tevez AND Torres, does that count?  and with all the rumours flying about now that Alonso is going to A.Madrid I would like Aguero in p/x.

What rumours about Alonso ?

Its been in all the papers and all over Newsnow etc for the last week mate that A.Madrid are after Alonso. They made a big thing out of the fact that Alonso didn't dismiss it out of hand.

Due to the other big story about Rafa, it didn't get the same headlines it would normally get.(and no-one really believes it)

It just seemed strange to me coming just after I posted a rumour from my mate that Augero was back on our wanted list with a possible p/x for Crouch. Maybe they asked for Alonso instead?  :D
                    -----------------------

Spanish side Atletico Madrid have confirmed that Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso is a transfer target for the winter market.

The Spanish midfielder is attracting attention from several clubs including Barcelona, but Atletico Madrid are the first to confirm they are looking at signing the player.

Atletico boss Javier Aguirre said: "Alonso is a big player and very important to any team because he helps defenders and also links with the attack.
"Today this type of player is almost unique and very valuable for a club."

etc etc  :D
Last edited by account deleted by request on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby terrydixon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:42 pm

i dont think so, that they want to give us Aguero and we give them Alonso^^

Aguero is a very big talent, he could by the new  diego armando argu messidona  :D
--------------------REINA----------

FINNAN-----CARRAGHER---AGGER----RIISE

PENNANT-----GERRARD------ALONSO------BABEL

------------TORRES-----------KUYT

The Team which dominates Europe!!!!!
terrydixon

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:58 pm

NiftyNeil wrote:It would be interesting to see Crouch's record since he scored his first goal for Liverpool. It took him the best part of 4 months to get off the mark, but has gone from strength to strength since.

18 appearances, 0 goals (0.000 goals/app)
94 appearances, 35 goals (0.372 goals/app)

Oddly enough he played more mins average BEFORE he scored than he has since, partly due to not playing a huge amount this season. Nonetheless he has made 14 appearances, notched up 715 mins at 51 mins/app and scored 4 goals.

Leon - Bellamy, Voronin and Kuyt stats, humouring the Crouch fans who despite frequently claiming there's more to him than goals still mention certain feats (goals for England and Champions League) and want to drag drown someone who is worse! All this even though I was merely looking at Gerrard's scoring and noticed it was about the same as Crouch - quite a good scoring record for a midfielder. What point would there have been comparing him to Torres or Hyypia? If I wanted to make Crouch look bad there are plenty of Premiership strikers I could use :D

I threw in Fowler because I still maintain he could have done a job and we'd have got a fee for Crouch after the hat-trick against Arsenal, we would have got more from Fowler and could have retired him into the coaching staff in a season or two's time.

And lo and behold Kuyt is sniggered at yet has the same scoring record as Crouch. In fact I can confirm Kuyt has scored 10 goals in his last 24 appearances although he did average 76 mins per appearance. Crouch in his last 24 appearances has scored 6 goals although averaging just 54 mins per appearance. Prefer Crouch? You are 'avin' a giraffe

Bellamy - 9 goals in 42 appearances (0.214 goals/app)
Kuyt - 20 goals in 64 appearances (0.313 goals/app)
Voronin - 4 goals in 16 appearances (0.250 goals/app)

Bellamy - 9 goals in 2692 mins (299 mins/goal)
Kuyt - 20 goals in 4737 mins (237 mins/goal)
Voronin - 4 goals in 933 mins (233 mins/goal)

Bellamy - 2692 mins in 42 appearances (64 mins/app)
Kuyt - 4737 mins in 64 appearances (74 mins/app)
Voronin - 933 mins in 16 appearances (58 mins/app)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:00 pm

I thought it was Gerrard's best performance of the season yesterday. He got the balance perfectly right, between disciplined, defensive work, keeping the ball moving and aggressive attacking surges and long defence splitting passes. This is the thing that really impressed me though was he was pulling the strings for the entirety of the game which is something that he hasn't done often this season. Every time he surged forward it was as if we suddenly had another player on the pitch and his understanding with Torres is becoming remeniscent of him and Owen. Add this to the fact he's scored 8 goals in 9 games and has got countless assists recently and he's truly back to his best.

There's no doubt that Torres' presence at the club is helping Gerrard by relieving him of the "one man team" tag. I think it sometimes affected his game in the past because he felt he was the one who had to try and win the game or change the balance of a game because there was no other obvious candidate to do so. I think the more recent regular appearances that Torres is making means Gerrard is more confident and relaxed in his centre mid role knowing that he doesn't have to charge all around the pitch to make a difference. Similar to when he was excelling a few years ago with Owen as the focal point of our attack, he can just concentrate on his football instead of feeling like he has to carry the hopes of the side on his own.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:22 pm

Owzat wrote:And lo and behold Kuyt is sniggered at yet has the same scoring record as Crouch. In fact I can confirm Kuyt has scored 10 goals in his last 24 appearances although he did average 76 mins per appearance. Crouch in his last 24 appearances has scored 6 goals although averaging just 54 mins per appearance. Prefer Crouch? You are 'avin' a giraffe

Bellamy - 9 goals in 42 appearances (0.214 goals/app)
Kuyt - 20 goals in 64 appearances (0.313 goals/app)
Voronin - 4 goals in 16 appearances (0.250 goals/app)

Bellamy - 9 goals in 2692 mins (299 mins/goal)
Voronin - 4 goals in 933 mins (233 mins/goal)

Not really!

- It just depends on how you want to manipulate the figures...

Crouch - 35 goals in 6547 mins (187 mins/goal)

It takes Crouch an average of 50 minutes less than Kuyt to score a goal.

Making Crouch far more prolific per minutes played on the pitch.... and in my mind that's what counts - as you can start a game, and come off injured after 15 minutes but it will still count as an appearance - so minutes on pitch is a far better gauge.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NJD83 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:31 pm

I think Torres will make Gerrard an even better player, that ball yesterday was fantastic, he didn't even need to look up he knew Torres would be making the run just like he new where and when Owen was going to go and the understanding is only going to get better and better.

I know it is early to say it but I think Torres will sail past all Owens scoring records, he is stronger, just as fast, better in the air (than a fully fit Owen) and can use both feet. When was the last time one of our players won the top goalscorers award??
NJD83

Postby Dundalk » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:26 pm

stmichael wrote:I thought it was Gerrard's best performance of the season yesterday. He got the balance perfectly right, between disciplined, defensive work, keeping the ball moving and aggressive attacking surges and long defence splitting passes. This is the thing that really impressed me though was he was pulling the strings for the entirety of the game which is something that he hasn't done often this season. Every time he surged forward it was as if we suddenly had another player on the pitch and his understanding with Torres is becoming remeniscent of him and Owen. Add this to the fact he's scored 8 goals in 9 games and has got countless assists recently and he's truly back to his best.

There's no doubt that Torres' presence at the club is helping Gerrard by relieving him of the "one man team" tag. I think it sometimes affected his game in the past because he felt he was the one who had to try and win the game or change the balance of a game because there was no other obvious candidate to do so. I think the more recent regular appearances that Torres is making means Gerrard is more confident and relaxed in his centre mid role knowing that he doesn't have to charge all around the pitch to make a difference. Similar to when he was excelling a few years ago with Owen as the focal point of our attack, he can just concentrate on his football instead of feeling like he has to carry the hopes of the side on his own.

At it again  :no

http://forums.lfconline.com/showthread.php?t=64389

See posts 4 and 6.

Whats the point

:blush:
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby username » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:16 pm

Dundalk wrote:
stmichael wrote:I thought it was Gerrard's best performance of the season yesterday. He got the balance perfectly right, between disciplined, defensive work, keeping the ball moving and aggressive attacking surges and long defence splitting passes. This is the thing that really impressed me though was he was pulling the strings for the entirety of the game which is something that he hasn't done often this season. Every time he surged forward it was as if we suddenly had another player on the pitch and his understanding with Torres is becoming remeniscent of him and Owen. Add this to the fact he's scored 8 goals in 9 games and has got countless assists recently and he's truly back to his best.

See posts 4 and 6.

Whats the point

thats just sad... use your own words and tye, dont copy and paste...
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby Zi-Dan Agger » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:58 pm

Dundalk wrote:

See posts 4 and 6.

Whats the point

:D
Zi-Dan Agger

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion