Gh leaves with dignity - What a gent

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rimetto » Mon May 24, 2004 12:17 pm

GH said these word in the press conference at 12 today.

"I have four special memories that I take away with me. Michael Owen scoring the winner against Arsenal with his left foot, Gary McAllister being handed the Man of the Match award against Alaves, the mosaic when I was recovering from heart surgery and Steven Gerrard taking his daughter around the pitch on the last day of the season.

"I arrived here six years ago as a Liverpool supporter and I leave as an even bigger supporter. I may have left Liverpool, but Liverpool will not leave me. I will return to watch the team as a fan."

I wish him all the best and hope that he does return to anfield as a fan
Rimetto
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sean » Mon May 24, 2004 12:22 pm

Allez Gerard Houllier !!!

Seán
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon May 24, 2004 12:29 pm

Well said Sir Houllier.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 82-1074641017 » Mon May 24, 2004 12:39 pm

I was a supporter of him leaving as manager, but I wish him the best of luck in his future managerial career whoever he chooses to manage.
Whoever tries to compare him with Souness is a joke, he did try his best and did bring us a couple of honours he was just lacking the title.
All the Best Gerard

Roberts
82-1074641017

Postby stmichael » Mon May 24, 2004 1:01 pm

To me, Gerard Houllier's departure from Liverpoool is the result of two simple, but crucial factors - too many bad results and too many mediocre performances.

Houllier's final programme notes of the season hailed the "magnificent" achievement of his players to seal fourth place in the Premiership and entry into the Champions League.

I think this may have summed up that what Houllier thought was good enough for him was not good enough for Liverpool Football Club or its directors.

Houllier might have survived had Liverpool finished fourth, but in touching distance of the contenders - instead they were miles behind.

What Houllier thought was satisfactory was not satisfactory for a club like this.

And Houllier also had more difficult opponents to deal with as Liverpool fans started to turn against his methods in the latter stages of the season.

Managers are not sacked by a chairman and a chief executive, it is supporters who get them out of a job and there was no getting away from the fact that there was genuine disenchantment about the team's style.

The writing was on the wall when I attended the Easter Monday defeat against Charlton Athletic and tickets were on sale before a game - this is almost unheard of and a pointer to the fact that fans were disgruntled.

There was just too much mediocrity for the fans to accept.

Supporters may accept an unadventurous style of play if you are challenging for the major prizes, but Liverpool were not and some of the performances at Anfield, in particular, were desperate.

It's a dream job because you inherit world class players like Steven Gerrard

Liverpool's fans were becoming disillusioned and I think this played a massive part in the decision.

There were times when they could have been more adventurous and aggressive and it was hard to see Michael Owen stranded on his own up front at Anfield, of all places.

I also think the fact that Liverpool Football Club, one way or another, is about to have a massive cash injection of £60m, may also have played a part.

The next two or three signings will be crucial to the future of the club, and maybe the board were worried about Gerard's recent track record.

I always feel if you sign five players and three work out, that's a fair ratio. Too many of Liverpool's were not working out.

There is always an element of gamble when you buy big, for example I was one of many who thought the signing of Juan Sebastian Veron would ensure Manchester United regained the Champions League.

Wrong.

Houllier leaves Liverpool 

There may have been a turning point in Gerard's reign in 2002, when he signed Salif Diao, Bruno Cheyrou and El-Hadji Diouf for a combined £20m.

None of those signings have worked, and no matter how big the club is, that outlay for little return cannot be sustained. It is a massive drain on resources.

Which brings us on to the subject of Houllier's successor and what awaits him at Anfield.

I've heard the talk it is between Charlton's Alan Curbishley and Rafael Benitez of Valencia, but this is only speculation and I actually have no firm view on who it should be.

What I do know is that this is a dream time to be taking over at Liverpool. It is not as if you are replacing a manager such as Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger, who have won so many titles.

There is really only one way Liverpool can go now, and that is up.

Liverpool have two of England's world class players in Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard, and will have big money to spend.

The new man must first of all get Owen to sign a new deal and assure Gerrard that ambitious moves are in place to take the club forward.

And then, as Houllier would have had to do if he stayed, he must get the club's next three signings right because they cannot afford to fall further behind Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United.

But, come what may, Liverpool can only move forward.

It is very sad that Gerard has gone because he is a nice guy, who is a brilliant organiser and has transformed the training set-up.

But the bottom line is results and performances, and it is the lack of those two things that led the Anfield gallery to become disgruntled and led to Houllier's departure.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 24, 2004 1:02 pm

whats he doing next tho?
ive never seen someone leave a club with as much dignity, he truly is the man
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon May 24, 2004 1:04 pm

what's the betting that houllier now gets a job as a bbc pundit for euro 2004? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby simic_ie » Mon May 24, 2004 1:05 pm

St Michael, are you Alan Hansen in disguise??
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 24, 2004 1:07 pm

better than channel 5
barnes houllier and beardsley, i wanna tune in for that conv!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mctrigger » Mon May 24, 2004 1:08 pm

Houllier will be the next manager of Leeds.  They will have to sell all there best players.  They will be left with inexperienced youngsters.  Houllier would be perfect for their rebuilding.  Best of luck to him.  He is a gentleman.  You can't fault him as a person.
mctrigger

Postby Scottbot » Mon May 24, 2004 1:10 pm

Just watched the press conference on LFC.TV. Feeling a mixture of sad and excited right now. So long as the board don't rush the next appointment. All the speculation seems to point to Benitez or Curbishley but personally, i don't think the media really have a clue.

Exciting times  :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon May 24, 2004 1:13 pm

Why use that green colour text?
You a berk or what?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Mon May 24, 2004 1:19 pm

Welcome to the forum triggs.

I just heard reports that Alex Fergusons's transfer dealings at United are coming under further investigation.  The reports noted that before Saturdays cup final he had grown disillusioned and was keeping his eye on what was happening at Anfield.  He sees Liverpool as being his next challenge.

Seán
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Sean » Mon May 24, 2004 1:25 pm

Lee J,

I imagine the green text is an indication that McTrigger is an Irish Liverpool fan and given the history of reds in Liverpool with Irish blood running through their veins I guess your the berk.....don't forget who lifted the F.A. cup on Liverpool's behalf in 1989.

Seán
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby big al » Mon May 24, 2004 1:25 pm

Gerrald Houllier has done the right thing and left Liverpool, many here will know that I have long been a supporter of him going so I won't say I'm sad, but its important to add I'm not happy either.  The man served us well he give us back some pride and he help us through a difficult period in our history, but the truth is he sadly did'nt have the know how to take the club the next step.  I wish him good health and happiness .

Thankyou mr Houllier
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion