Gary mcallister - Returns?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:47 pm

could gary mac be on his way back as part of the staff ?

Gary McAllister could be set for an emotional return to Liverpool after being invited to join Benitez's coaching staff.

The former Scottish international, who became a hero with the Kop when he spent two years at Anfield as a player, has been out of the game since quitting as manager of Coventry in January 2004 to spend more time with his seriously ill wife Denise.

Her death eight weeks ago left McAllister devastated, but Benitez has offered him the chance to pick up the pieces of his professional career by becoming part of his backroom team.

sunday mirror.

would be a great acquisition to the club. again!  imagine fowler and mcallister working behind the scenes with the younger players. you'd be hard pushed to find 2 better teachers.

:bowdown

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Mark 23 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:54 pm

Is it Paco who is on his way this season, because he has family back home in Spain.

Garry Mac would be a great addition to the coaching squad
Mark 23

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:00 pm

Mark 23 wrote:Is it Paco who is on his way this season, because he has family back home in Spain.

Garry Mac would be a great addition to the coaching squad

Yes, Paco Herara's off  (not Paco Ayesteran)...
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:28 pm

many occassions i`ve seen gary on sky waxing lyrical about liverpool football club and even get quite emotional or defensive at times when either describing us as a special club or fighting our corner against uber blue andy gray, and you get the impression he actually means what he`s saying and not just churning out the same old soundbytes a la a ray wilkins or howard wilkinson type.
he comes across as a very likeable, intelligent and passionate fella who was a superb footballer in his own right and also had a stint managing coventry city.
i think he`d be a superb addition to the club and was gutted to be honest when he left in the first place because i half hoped he`d take a post under houllier.
i hope the rumours are true.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:10 pm

he'd be a brilliant acquisition for the club. supremely talented footballer and a very intelligent man. also a fitness-fanatic. best thing about gary mac though is he's always been a man of dignity, he'd complement the existing club set-up nicely: he epitomises the liverpool way. let's hope the papers have got it right for once
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:10 pm

i thought he turned the job down?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:14 pm

He would be a wicked coach. Imagine learning the tricks of the trade from him! I really want this to be true and I can understand him feeling loose after his loss. This could be the answer to his problems anda great boost for us.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:49 pm

Was at Blackburn away and the Gary Macca songs get sung as loud and as proud as anything, the guy is an absolute legend and i would love to see him back at Anfield, as would everyone, he may have turned it down for the moment but i think he could well consider it for the future.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:16 pm

quite simply i'd be delighted to have the man back around anfield. for someone who played for such a short time for us he achieved almost legendary status and was a massive influence in the treble year. in fat, i remember stevie g saying that gary macallister was one of the reasons he was playing so well and learning so much about himself, his body and the game, he was virtually his personal guru for the season.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:32 pm

I agree that this would be a great addition to the backroom staff as Gary Mac was a great footballer and an intelligent one at that (just look at his goal against Everton if ya don't believe me). With the experience he must have from all of the different levels of football he's been involved in and the way the game changed during his playing days he would surely be able to give the younger members of the squad any guidance that they need. The only qusetion is, is it too soon after the passing of his wife. I was surprised to see him on Sky a few weeks back for the blackburn and west brom games. It may be that he needs to keep busy to help him get over his grief and so maybe a behind the scenes role with liverpool may be the ideal oppurtunity for him; but only Gary Mac (not GaryMAc on here  :p  ) can answer that and time will tell as they say.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:43 pm

I'd love to see this happen. The guy has a phenomenal footballing brain, and I think coaching behind the scenes suits him far more than management.

He is an absolute legend, despite his short career in the red shirt, and it would be wonderful to give the guy something to smile about after the horrific few years he's had to endure.
ivor_the_injun

Postby red37 » Tue May 02, 2006 3:43 pm

nice to see denise mcallister mentioned yesterday.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby scouse cockny » Thu May 04, 2006 8:18 am

got to say the ronalso gag above is CLASS
scouse cockny

Postby PCG77 » Thu May 04, 2006 12:18 pm

condolences to Gary Mc and family.

Does he still own a pair of boats?
PCG77

Postby PCG77 » Thu May 04, 2006 12:19 pm

Oops Boots!!!!