Rafa and our new legends

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:56 am

Do you know it only really dawned on me this morning reading artcles and seeing our boys out there in Japan that Rafael Benitez and the boys are becoming the new legends for our time.

The older one's have seen it all before and passed these stories down to us that didnt have the pleasure of watching some of the Anfield greats we can only watch on videos and DVDs how the Mighty Reds conquered Europe.

I have cast an envious eye at the mancs at winning the premiership, but was never envious at Arsenal for some reason, maybe because they could never emulate what we have won as the most successful club in England.

But the mancs where catching up a bit and through the rivalry with them being 30 miles down the motorway from us and trying to outdo us with our achievements but they never will.

We laugh at the bluenoses and say forever in our shadows but if the truth be known every club in England will forever be in our shadows.  None of them will ever win what we have.
None of them will ever have the pedigree of managers we have had.

Bill Shankly.

One of 11 siblings, as a young man worked down the mines in Glenbuck Ayrshire after working long hours in the mine, he would go and breath some fresh air in and play 5 aside football. Bill went on to play for Cronbery Eglinton, Carlisle United, Preston North End and Scotland.

Then he went on to manage, Carlisle United, Grimsby Town, Workington, Huddersfield Town, Then he arrived at Anfield in 1959.
Liverpool where in the second division and going nowhere, he felt immedietly at home with the Anfield faithfull they where his kind of people, full of passion.
By 1961 Liverpool where promoted and finished 8th in the league but Everton won the league so it was little consolation.

Everton where top dogs on Merseyside but Shankly was about to change that for good. Within 5 years League title twice, the F.A. Cup once, and reached the ECWC final and the European Cup semi-final.

And then went on to win a good few honours and Bill is created the pass and move football that was to live on in his legacy. And at the age of 60 he announced his retirement to the shock of the Anfield faithfull, but he layed the foundations to what makes our club so great today.

In came the Great Bob Paisley.

His association with Liverpool FC was for more than half a century, first as a player, then as a physiotherapist and coach, and finally as manager.

The Paisley honours - 6 league titles, 3 league cups, 3 European cups, 1 UEFA cup, 1 European super Cup, 5 Charity Shields, 6 Manager of the Year awards.

Bob Paisley was awarded the freedom of the city of Liverpool and also received an OBE. He was not knighted why is unknown. He moved not just the club but English football to the top of the European scene.

Bob Paisley died in 1996 and three years later has been honoured with a suitable tribute behind the Kop. A set of gates where he provided such joy to the fans of this club, he never took all the fame to himself but that was the type of man he was.

In came Joe fagan.

Joe Fagan worked for years behind the scenes at Anfield which went  unnoticed until in 1983 he took over from Paisley. In his first year Fagan guided the Reds to the first ever English treble of League/league cup/European cup. Fagan was very unsung at Anfield and resigned after the Heysel tragedy in 1985 when he had guided the Reds to yet another European Cup Final.

In came King Kenny.

One of the greatest players we have ever had, he was the first player/manager at the club. In his first season guided us to the league and F.A.Cup Dalglish achieved so much success as  player and a manager but sadly resigned in February 1991 when the eventual strain of Hillsborough took its toll on him. I remember seeing him at the time he looked absolutly awful.
Still the most regular ex red at Anfield and a legend in his time.

I could go on about Graeme Souness and Roy Evans, Souness was one of the greatest midfielders of all time, but he sold his story to the s*n newspaper and his days where numbered in every Liverpool fans eyes.
Roy Evans a lovely man but not strong enough to be a successful manager at a Big club like Liverpool.

Gerard Houllier.

The man nearly give his life for the club, deserves some credit he did take us forward and we won the treble  in 200.
And on to Champions League assaults. However after heart surgery he was not a well man and it took its toll on him to much pressure to deliever.

Hungry fans starving for success and to many wasters brought in that where not delivering the goods.
the club had to let him in 2004 it was best for all concerned for his health and for the good of the club.
But his hearts still in Liverpool.

Then in comes Rafael Benitez?

Who? some of us asked at the time. His Valenica side was famous but he wasnt not in England anyway. He guided his Valenica side to two La Ligas, without a bottomless pit of money like his famous team Real madrid, he guided Valencia to the UEFA Cup swell as being La Liga Champs.

I could go on about him being a gymnastic teacher and an ex player but you all know that story anyway.
Who would have thought in his first season in charge he could take us to 3 Cup Finals?

And then go on to win the biggest one of them all?
I never in a million years thought Id ever witness such events, and now our players and manager are out in Japan aiming to be World Club Champions.

What we are witnessing here is future legends in the makings at the time you dont know it but we have our after dinner speakers in place already Jamie Carragher.

And Steven Gerrard, and these two will probably be our future managers at some point in time  and we can grow old and tell our kids.
How Carra told Jerzy Dudek to copy off Bruce Grobbelar in a European Cup Final.

Its all history in the making and I hope Rafa goes on to have a statue made in bronze one day to go along side the man who made Liverpool Football Club what it is today.

YNWA.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:57 am

cisse, you are indeed a true fan, and that was a genius piece to read, already making the day feel better. nice one gal
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:06 pm

dawson99 wrote:already making the day feel better. nice one gal

Its not even the day feel better Dawsonio, it just feels great to be a Liverpool fan right now, Ive never been so happy  :buttrock
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:18 pm

I request permission to send a link to your posts, when some moron claim than girls don't understand what football is.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:22 pm

Rafa was in the stands with Rick Parry for the Al Ittihad - Sao Paulo game taking copious notes as usual. Great post Lynds. :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:48 pm

Makes me proud to be a redman. YNWA
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lawrenson_sarah » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:51 pm

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:Makes me proud to be a redman. YNWA

Same as me

:love:
www.myspace.com/lawrenson_sarah

www.sarahlawrenson.piczo.com

He's scouse, he's sound. He'll T-w-a-t you with a pound Carragher - Carragher
lawrenson_sarah
LFC Super Member

Postby davethe red » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:57 pm

Top post Ciggy I can just imagine all the schite and checksky fans deriding the honour involved in us possibly  winning the World club championship.But youve got to be in it to win it and to be in it you must Champions of Europe.Once again good post .Come on you MIGHTY REDS
davethe red

Postby Garymac » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:59 pm

Good Stuff Ciggy girl, thats what i call a fu*king history, now to add the only trophy we havent won, people say these 2 games and travelling to Japan will take a lot out of the team but it wont if we fly back into the country as World Club Champions, what a title to go into the new year with and then its full on with the league until febuary.

Theres just so much difference in the lads now, a togetherness and enjoyment, they look like they are loving the football, Rafas brought a new belief here with him after a bad couple of years and he looks like slowly but shorly he has installed that belief into the players.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:49 pm

Great post CIGGY.
What times to be a red!!!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:40 pm

Sabre wrote:I request permission to send a link to your posts, when some moron claim than girls don't understand what football is.

and who would that Moron exactly be  :veryangry

Great post, the heart and soul of what being an LFC fan is about and how our current manager has understood that and translated that passion on to the pitch, AGAIN   :bowdown
Last edited by zarababe on Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:44 pm

great post Lynds proud of you........:D
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:30 pm

well done lynds ,crackin post,makes me feel so proud,COME ON REDMEN:) :)
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:24 pm

excellant post CGGY
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:37 pm

and who would that Moron exactly be 

Half my country. Young people is evolving, but 50 year people who was educated in Franco schools, many of them, think that a girl should be in the kitchen and football is  a matter of men. As that generation dies, the old bad ideas will die.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion