End of Season Assessment - how did we fare?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redno7 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:57 pm

I think the point being made was the fact we finished 2 points behind Everton and had we won that derby game we'd of finished above them on points. I don't see it was an excuse, just an observation so wind your neck in penguin man/woman
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri May 24, 2013 7:20 pm

This season we finished 7th, below the bitters and did not win any cups
We play in Red and our home ground is called Anfield
Our manager is Brendan Rodgers and Steven Gerrard is a Liverpool player
I could go on....

I have just stated absolute facts and I Fu*king dare any of you to contradict my interesting and fascinating comments.
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby devaney » Fri May 24, 2013 7:29 pm

Thommo's perm » Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 pm wrote:This season we finished 7th, below the bitters and did not win any cups
I could go on....

I have just stated absolute facts and I Fu*king dare any of you to contradict my interesting and fascinating comments.

Boring tw.at .........  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri May 24, 2013 7:37 pm

devaney » Fri May 24, 2013 6:29 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 pm wrote:This season we finished 7th, below the bitters and did not win any cups
I could go on....

Boring tw.at .........  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Stop stalking and insulting me you uncouth ruffian or I shall complain like a girl to the moderators and ask for you to be banned from the forum
:kungfu:
Thommo's perm

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun May 26, 2013 10:48 am

Maddock talking sense:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ow-1908546

The King has gone though, and it surely the time has come to stop the irritation, the agitation, the criticism and the politicking, and actually get behind the new manager and give him a real chance of succeeding with his policies, whether you are a fan or not. Who knows, he may just be onto something, and Liverpool can enter next season with real optimism that NEXT year could be THE year...
----------------------------

Using those adjectives, you'd think Maddock reads this forum  :laugh: how apt. :D
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 26, 2013 12:30 pm

i was very optimistic that `next year could be the year` until we started getting strongly linked to the likes of aspas and atsu.
and when i say strongly linked i mean headline news in the echo, this wasnt a two paragraph article in the metro or anything.
aspas scored 11 goals last season but apparently his less than stellar goalscoring record isnt really a concern to us, it`s his never say die attitude and high work rate that we are interested in.
where have we heard that before? this fella has got borini mark II written all over him.
a couple of weeks ago the papers were linking us with christian eriksson and indeed there were even quotes from sources in holland saying that liverpool were definately interested in erikssen and had even made contact but now for whatever reason we were getting cold feet.
some papers were even reporting that liverpool fan eriksson had issued us with an ultimatum, sign me or move on and let me get on with my career.
i wasnt too concerned when itk`s on other sites said we were no longer interested in the dane because i`ve heard that ericksson is overhyped anyway and we have a similar player already at the club in coutinho but tbh i was just happy that we were being linked with high profile players like ericksson.
it looked to me that we were trying to sign players that would come to the club and strengthen the starting XI.
after all it seems obvious that when we have got to try and bridge the type of points gap that exists between us and the top teams we have to sign players that go straight into the side, the teams above us arent standing still, the likes of chelsea are being linked with christiano ronaldo and wayne rooney and apparently they are fighting it out with united for modric`s signature too.
a lot of good work was done last season but it can all be undone this summer if we show a lack of ambition in the transfer market.
i know a lot of it is speculation and paper talk but signing someone like ericksson, overhyped or not, would have sent signals to the other clubs (and even our own players like suarez) that we mean business.
if rodgers and fsg think we are going to catch the teams above us by signing £2m and £3m players here and there they must be off their heads.
as i said a lot of my optimism has turned to trepidation, i just hope the club surprises us all and brings in at least one or two big names.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:55 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 26, 2013 12:30 pm wrote:i was very optimistic that `next year could be the year` until we started getting strongly linked to the likes of aspas and atsu.
and when i say strongly linked i mean headline news in the echo, this wasnt a two paragraph article in the metro or anything.
aspas scored 11 goals last season but apparently his less than stellar goalscoring record isnt really a concern to us, it`s his never say die attitude and high work rate that we are interested in.
where have we heard that before? this fella has got borini mark II written all over him.
a couple of weeks ago the papers were linking us with christian eriksson and indeed there were even quotes from sources in holland saying that liverpool were definately interested in erikssen and had even made contact but now for whatever reason we were getting cold feet.
some papers were even reporting that liverpool fan eriksson had issued us with an ultimatum, sign me or move on and let me get on with my career.
i wasnt too concerned when itk`s on other sites said we were no longer interested in the dane because i`ve heard that ericksson is overhyped anyway and we have a similar player already at the club in coutinho but tbh i was just happy that we were being linked with high profile players like ericksson.
it looked to me that we were trying to sign players that would come to the club and strengthen the starting XI.
after all it seems obvious that when we have got to try and bridge the type of points gap that exists between us and the top teams we have to sign players that go straight into the side, the teams above us arent standing still, the likes of chelsea are being linked with christiano ronaldo and wayne rooney and apparently they are fighting it out with united for modric`s signature too.
a lot of good work was done last season but it can all be undone this summer if we show a lack of ambition in the transfer market.
i know a lot of it is speculation and paper talk but signing someone like ericksson, overhyped or not, would have sent signals to the other clubs (and even our own players like suarez) that we mean business.
if rodgers and fsg think we are going to catch the teams above us by signing £2m and £3m players here and there they must be off their heads.
as i said a lot of my optimism has turned to trepidation, i just hope the club surprises us all and brings in at least one or two big names.

Honestly mate, I'm not too concerned about our attacking targets because I believe our attack is more or less sorted, at least for the time being. I'd be happy enough if we just signed Papadopoulos and say Wanyama in this transfer window.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 26, 2013 7:40 pm

damjan193 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:55 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun May 26, 2013 12:30 pm wrote:i was very optimistic that `next year could be the year` until we started getting strongly linked to the likes of aspas and atsu.

Honestly mate, I'm not too concerned about our attacking targets because I believe our attack is more or less sorted, at least for the time being. I'd be happy enough if we just signed Papadopoulos and say Wanyama in this transfer window.

i agree with you mate but i`m just fed up of these squad type players coming to the club and contributing very little. what was the point of comoli stripping the squad right down to the bare bones only to fill it up again with average players?
i`d rather give more game time to the likes of ibe, sterling, suso, yesil and texiera.
i dont expect us to be challenging the likes of monaco, city and chelsea for falcao`s signature but we should be in for young highly rated talents like coutinho, papadopolous, alderweired and ericksson.
signing players like coutinho and papadopolous is a calculated gamble, signing £2m and £3m players from spanish relegation fodder is just a shot in the dark.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:19 pm

I think Rodgers is just looking for a replacement for Assaidi, yakka. One that would hopefully play more often. I believe that we can afford to, as you say, shoot in the dark for attacking players, so I'm not too concerned. Though I would be if we did the same when we look for a defender and a holding midfielder.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Mon May 27, 2013 1:34 am

damjan193 » Sun May 26, 2013 7:19 pm wrote:I think Rodgers is just looking for a replacement for Assaidi, yakka. One that would hopefully play more often. I believe that we can afford to, as you say, shoot in the dark for attacking players, so I'm not too concerned. Though I would be if we did the same when we look for a defender and a holding midfielder.

Why do you think we can afford "to shoot in the dark"?

If we were Manure that had dominated the league for the last 2 and half decades we could but we haven't won it and finished well outside the top four this season. "Shooting in the dark" will just get us into more and more trouble, and you just can not defend this rubbish!

Sorry mate but buying s**ty 1-3m purchases is the main reason why we haven't won the league for so long. Alone from Hyppia I don't think there is any other player that has gone on to be a solid starting XI player in that time.  :no
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby eds » Mon May 27, 2013 1:38 am

damjan193 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:55 pm wrote:

You do realise that we are only one 'Suarez handing in his transfer request' from being well and truly f**ked aren't you?

F**king complacency breeds mediocrity.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby damjan193 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:59 am

eds » Mon May 27, 2013 1:34 am wrote:
damjan193 » Sun May 26, 2013 7:19 pm wrote:I think Rodgers is just looking for a replacement for Assaidi, yakka. One that would hopefully play more often. I believe that we can afford to, as you say, shoot in the dark for attacking players, so I'm not too concerned. Though I would be if we did the same when we look for a defender and a holding midfielder.

If we were Manure that had dominated the league for the last 2 and half decades we could but we haven't won it and finished well outside the top four this season. "Shooting in the dark" will just get us into more and more trouble, and you just can not defend this rubbish!

Sorry mate but buying s**ty 1-3m purchases is the main reason why we haven't won the league for so long. Alone from Hyppia I don't think there is any other player that has gone on to be a solid starting XI player in that time.  :no

Then what do you propose, that we go and spend 50 million on Neymar? You know, just in case Suarez leaves. We are not owned by a sugar daddy, eds, so we must spend our money wisely. Our attack is not in a need of an immediate reinforcement and improvement. There are other areas where we must spend big and we simply don't have enough money to spend like Chelsea or City do on Nasris, Marins etc. I do realize that Suarez is only "a transfer request away" from leaving the club, but he still IS here isn't he? IF he leaves, then we'll talk about spending big on attackers.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon May 27, 2013 10:27 am

I don't honestly know what our budget is or isn't but I certainly won't be complaining if we can sign top players in the positions we need (CB and DM) and a few more quality attacking players.  Im not saying we definitely need to but if we can it surely can't do us any harm.

Bear in mind that Suarez is going to miss at least the first 6 games of the season.  Sturridge has suffered a bit from niggling injuries and Coutinho, although awesome so far, may get injured or suffer a loss of form at some point.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Mon May 27, 2013 11:21 am

damjan193 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:59 am wrote:
eds » Mon May 27, 2013 1:34 am wrote:

Then what do you propose, that we go and spend 50 million on Neymar? You know, just in case Suarez leaves. We are not owned by a sugar daddy, eds, so we must spend our money wisely. Our attack is not in a need of an immediate reinforcement and improvement. There are other areas where we must spend big and we simply don't have enough money to spend like Chelsea or City do on Nasris, Marins etc. I do realize that Suarez is only "a transfer request away" from leaving the club, but he still IS here isn't he? IF he leaves, then we'll talk about spending big on attackers.

Our team certainly won't be spending 50 million on any one player, that's another extreme and I am fully aware of our financial reality as compared to the Cheatski's and Citeh's of the world.

I think you missed my point altogether.

Spending money wisely means exactly that. You don't get given 20 or 30 million and spend it on 6 or 7 players that either become "fringe" players or deadwood in a few years time, which is exactly the reason why Rafa's tenure came to end a few years back. Outside of Torres and Gerrard we had no world class talent in our team just a lot of "potential" players that someday "might" come good.  *cough* Ryan Babel *cough*  :laugh:

What Rodgers needs to do now is strengthen and build the side he already has, I agree that his main priorities should be a CB and DM but I still think we are far from sorted in having the best attack in England, let alone Europe. No, we still need players like Eriksen (who won't cost us 50 mill) and need to invest our money wisely on key positions. I really don't care if we bring in 2 or 3 players this off season, if they all strengthen our side it's for our long term benefit. No more bleeding to death by small cuts, we are sick of that mentality. It will only lead us down the road of mediocrity and oblivion.

eds

Postby JC_81 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:54 pm

I think we're right to look for value in the market rather than spunk 20 mil on a player.  We don't have the finances to do that.

Our first team needs strengthening in about 3 positions so we have to take some calculated gambles in the market, preferably on younger players who have re-sale value if they don't work out.

Our scouting department and Rodgers' judgement seem to be improving going by January's business.  I think last summer was difficult for Rodgers.  He didn't know the scouts or how reliable they were,which is why he probably went for players he worked with before like Allen and Borini.  He probably thought that was less of a gamble.

Some reports suggest FSG will put about 20 mil into the pot.  We'll hopefully shift Carroll for 15 mil.  Can't see us generating significant cash from anyone else (the likes of Spearing, Wilson, Coates, Assaidi, Shelvey maybe).  The only other thing that will boost the kitty is if Reina, Skrtel or even Suarez go for a big bid, which I can't really see, and even if they did they'd need direct replacements so it's not really money in the kitty for improving the squad we have.

With 35 mil you're probably looking at a couple of players in the 10-15mil bracket, and one or two more young prospects or older gambles for a few mil.  Sniffing around clubs in financial rouble like Sporting Lisbon (like we seem to be doing - Teixera and now possible interest in Capel and Llori) and Malaga (Arsenal with Cazorla and the left back) is a good tactic imo.  Celta Vigo are also in that bracket which is presumably why we are linked with Iasco, similarly with Porto and this Atsu.  All makes sense to me.

I'll reserve judgement until after the window shuts, but after January Rodgers and our scouts should be afforded a bit of respect imo.  It's a big window for us though and one that could make or break Rodgers' future here.  Every player he signs won't work out, but overall we have to be better after this window.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion