Djimi traore - Keep him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:16 pm

Are you havin a laugh? He nearly cost us the game in Turin and the amount of times Hyypia saved his backside was unreal. He was woeful. And when he was beaten at the back stick by Cannavaro i thought it was game over. It so easily could have been.

He's quick and can tackle, but technically he's awful, he plays stupid passes and his use of the ball and movement is shocking. His positional sense and the way he gets sucked in then turned is staggering for a centre half. I don't even believe he's a Premiership player, let alone a top half player. Warnock should unquestionabley be first choice.

Also you'd notice how deep Riise played in this game, he clearly didn't trust Traore against anyone, Riise had a bad game going forward but worked his balls off and played two positions practically on his own.
115-1073096938

Postby banana » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:25 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
Traore is a good squad player. He is not very demanding, not very expensive and his ego is not a problem. He can cover both left back and the centre and he is still young. Definately a player we should keep.

OMG!!!

Owen, Hyypia, Murphy and Kirkland were never good enough.

But Traore is?

Are you on crack cocaine?

You obviously have completely misunderstood the concept of a SQUAD PLAYER. Then again, I never thought you would understand what I squad player is anyway.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:40 pm

I think i sit somewhere in between some of the views you guys are expressing. I think Djimi has some qualities - He's pretty quick, pulls off some cracking last gasp tackles with those go-go-gadget legs of his and he is brave when it comes to blocking shots and getting his body in the way of the ball. A good player to have when there's 'backs to the wall defending' to do.

On the down side - He gets caught out of position, doesn't head as well as he should and is VERY nervous on the ball. Djimi isn't the most natural footballer you will ever see and that is why we often c.rap ourself when the lad is on the ball.

While i don't think he is the answer (I'm a big fan of Warnock) it may not be such a bad thing to keep the lad on as cover. Like many i believe his best position is centre-half where his pace/height would be more of an asset and the pressure on him to do something with the ball (other than give a simple ball to a midfielder) is less. I'm not sure we will ever see him play CB for more than a couple of games as cover (nor am i sure i ever want to!)

Personally, i think the boss will probably move him on during the summer for a couple of mill as there always seems to be some interset in the player.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:13 am

You obviously have completely misunderstood the concept of a SQUAD PLAYER. Then again, I never thought you would understand what I squad player is anyway.

To me squad players are the Baros', Warnocks (maybe first team next season), Garcia's, Pongolle's, Cisse's, Pellegrino's, Hamann's and Biscan's of this world. Players with the ability to come in and play well.

Traore isn't and never will be good enough. He's not got anything to offer. He's far to poor technically to play at this level and his positional sense and lack of footballing brain is simply unreal for a player who has probably played 70 or so first team games at least.

I think i sit somewhere in between some of the views you guys are expressing. I think Djimi has some qualities - He's pretty quick, pulls off some cracking last gasp tackles with those go-go-gadget legs of his and he is brave when it comes to blocking shots and getting his body in the way of the ball. A good player to have when there's 'backs to the wall defending' to do.

On the down side - He gets caught out of position, doesn't head as well as he should and is VERY nervous on the ball. Djimi isn't the most natural footballer you will ever see and that is why we often c.rap ourself when the lad is on the ball.

While i don't think he is the answer (I'm a big fan of Warnock) it may not be such a bad thing to keep the lad on as cover. Like many i believe his best position is centre-half where his pace/height would be more of an asset and the pressure on him to do something with the ball (other than give a simple ball to a midfielder) is less. I'm not sure we will ever see him play CB for more than a couple of games as cover (nor am i sure i ever want to!)

Personally, i think the boss will probably move him on during the summer for a couple of mill as there always seems to be some interset in the player.

No bout about it, great pace, superb last ditch tackler and a brave defender.

However, his positional play, reading of the game, heading ability, technical ability and concentration are nowhere near the required standard at all. The amount of goals we have conceeded from set peices this season were he's lost his man has been unacceptable to say the least. We VERY VERY nearly paid the price again against Juventus.

I hope he's not here next season as he simply doesn't cut it for me and its less compitition for Warnock. For me, Warnock is going to be another Carragher, not the greatest player in the team, but a very good one who's heart makes up for what he doesn't have in terms of ability. Maybe he could become as good as Ashley Cole, he's certainly alot better defensively at the same age and he's not bad going forward either.

He'll improve with experience.

For me, next season i'd go for Warnock, Hyypia, Carragher, Finnan and look for a top class keeper. Canizares' name was mentioned, i wouldn't say no to that.
115-1073096938

Postby bigmick » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:12 am

stu_the_red wrote:Warnock maybe could become as good as Ashley Cole, he's certainly alot better defensively at the same age and he's not bad going forward either.

I hope so Stu. I think Ashley Cole is the best left-back in the world at the moment. The one England player who would definately get in a world eleven in my view. Some of the others possibly would but Cole would be a certainty IMHO.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:36 am

Warnock really has to be given the chance at LB. Traore may have "saved our a**es" a few times this season, but he's a defender. Thats what he's there for! Warnock is still rough round the edges, but he's from the Carragher mould, and we could really do with another skilled battler. Traore can slide tackle, but LB's and rb's should stay on their feet as much as possible. Warnock can only get better, and I can't help but think that he isn't going to let you down. Solid, skillful, aggressive and young. The potential is there - he just needs the games. Keep Djimi as a sub, and if he becomes the next Thuram, I'll eat my LFC shirt!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:42 am

Haha, spot on. Only don't agree with keeping him.

Aslong as he's there he'll play the odd game. I don't wanna see him play for us ever again. He isn't and never will be good enough. We need a class left winger, then we can move forward, Warnock, Riise and Vicente as our left sided players...

*dreaming*
115-1073096938

Postby madred » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:02 am

As most of the posts go i would have to agree that Traore should not remain at the club. Like Stu said he was poor against Juve and could have cost us the game when he went to sleep on two occasions. I wont even go on about why we went out the f.a cup!! Got to go.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:40 am

I think you are all being harsh on Traore, he shouldnt be 1st choice left back next season Warnock should however we are looking to build a squad to compete for the premiership, we have a 1st team definitely but not a squad, whats wrong with keeping Traore as a 2nd choice left back and in the case of an emergency and i stress emergency can be used as a 4th or 5th choice CB, we need strength in depth but look what the other big teams have got as back ups to their left backs, Clichy, chelsea dont even have another left back and play an awesome CB there and Man Utd can have fortune, O'shea or Silvestre,
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:48 am

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
anfieldadorer wrote:
the return of HAS wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Djimi's performance away against Juventus proved if his concentration is not allowed to wane he can truly develop into a world class defender ,but the silly mishaps need to be erradicated from his game . 
I think Benitez given time will mould Traore into the new Thuram, but it depends on whether the Gaffer can afford him the patience

Djimi is a world class and a new young thuram?

great, sell him, buy ledley king and keep the change

Ledley King ! If your going to register an opinion at least make it one I can deem plausible ,and not one I can laugh my proverbial co*k off at the mere suggestion .
I have concured with some of your views in the past Anfield but your inability to accept someone elses views leaves me dumbfounded ,once again Ledley King ?

sorry mate, i'm just tired of 'syndrome': "traore playing good; keep him, traore playing bad; sell him' (also applies to biscan).

We understand that every player has his capability limit, i think we've had enough chance observing traore this season and myself have ended up with with my own belief that he's too mediocre for project rafalution.

ledley, i didn't say he's a solution for our defense problem, i was trying to say "even a ledley king (who is also not good enough for liverpool still relatively expensive) is IMO a better player than traore.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tel » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:18 am

Traore epitomises the very reason our club is so far below the Arsenals, Mancs & now Chelseas.

Error prone. school boy skills. lack of a football brain. has no idea what to do when he crosses the half way line.

I have much more confidence giving Warnock experience in the left back position.

Get rid of Traore
tel

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:23 am

Like one of the other posts read Rafa stopped any possible move to Everton so he must surely see something in traore would any of you lot second guess Rafa.

And if Traore was that bad i think Rafa would have played Riise at left back for the majority of the season and not Warnock .

And back to Traore Benitez must think he can improve Traore as a player during training plus the guy does give us 100% everytime he plays unlike others who earn a lot more than him,
66-1112520797

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:56 am

I think you are all being harsh on Traore, he shouldnt be 1st choice left back next season Warnock should however we are looking to build a squad to compete for the premiership, we have a 1st team definitely but not a squad, whats wrong with keeping Traore as a 2nd choice left back and in the case of an emergency and i stress emergency can be used as a 4th or 5th choice CB, we need strength in depth but look what the other big teams have got as back ups to their left backs, Clichy, chelsea dont even have another left back and play an awesome CB there and Man Utd can have fortune, O'shea or Silvestre,

IF Rafa rates Traore still, he's a fool. My bet is he doesn't and he'll be sold. Secondly, whats wrong with signing a class left winger and having Warnock and Riise fighting it out       for the left back and left mid slots.

If we sold Traore, we'd still have, Riise, Warnock and Carragher (if we were depserate) and Finnan (who's played there for Ireland i believe) who can play left back, Riise, Warnock, Luis Garcia and Kewell's replacment that can play left midfield. Are  you suggesting that isn't enough cover?
115-1073096938

Postby Nando » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:05 am

stu_the_red wrote:

IF Rafa rates Traore still, he's a fool. My bet is he doesn't and he'll be sold. Secondly, whats wrong with signing a class left winger and having Warnock and Riise fighting it out       for the left back and left mid slots.

If we sold Traore, we'd still have, Riise, Warnock and Carragher (if we were depserate) and Finnan (who's played there for Ireland i believe) who can play left back, Riise, Warnock, Luis Garcia and Kewell's replacment that can play left midfield. Are  you suggesting that isn't enough cover?

at this moment in time we dont so based on what we have we should keep him and rafa made a good decision in keeping him at the start of season and not offloading him to Everton or West Brom, there is only 1 world class winger we could buy and thats Vicente cos there aint much else on offer, I'm only saying keep Traore as a backup, chelsea have players such as smertin they would use as an emergency backup, if Traore doesnt want that role then he would have to leave to further his career but im only saying we should keep him as backup as we dont have strength in depth, note i didnt say quality in depth
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:39 pm

rafa still keeps him since we are lack of defenders and traore is slightly better than alikes of pellegrino and (sometimes) warnock (-he still needs time to develop), and can be replacement for 'old' hyypia if he's tired or injured (position to be swapped with probably carra). Traore should be sold for longer term of plan -maybe before next season begins.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion