Diouf to malaga - According to bbc sport

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:18 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3542302.stm

Diouf talks to Malaga

Diouf left at home 
Liverpool outcast El Hadji Diouf has held talks with Malaga over a possible move to the Spanish club.
Diouf is looking for a new employer after being told he has no future at Anfield by new boss Rafael Benitez.

The Senegal international will not give up his £40,000 a week deal and Liverpool may have to settle for loaning him out.

A Malaga spokesman said: "Diouf was here and left Malaga almost convinced to sign for us."

Diouf made a flying visit to Malaga where he spent three hours in discussions with his agent and Malaga technical secretary Manuel Ruiz.

A Malaga spokesman added: "We would hope for a decision on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week."

Diouf would be the latest in a string of departures of French-speaking players signed by previous Anfield boss Gerard Houllier.

Bruno Cheyrou (to Marseille), Anthony Le Tallec (St Etienne), Gregory Vignal (Rangers), Alou Diarra (Lens) and young defender Carl Medjani (Lorient) have all been shipped out by Benitez.

Diouf was pointedly given no squad number at Anfield for the coming season and was left behind from Liverpool's pre-season tour of the USA.

Former African footballer of the year Diouf cost Liverpool £10m when he joined from Lens soon after the 2002 World Cup.

During his time at Anfield, he has scored just three goals in 55 Premiership appearances, and Houllier described him as the biggest disappointment of his time at Liverpool.
ivor_the_injun

Postby JBG » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:27 pm

Diouff's departure is immenient, although his wages are a problem.

I'm probably talking out of my backside here, but I have heard from a number of sources that in 2002 Diouff agreed with Benitez to sign for Valencia (just before the World Cup) and Benitez thought that the deal was done and dusted, but at the 11th hour Houllier rang Diouff and persuaded him to join Liverpool instead (although from what I heard, Diouff needed little persuasion). Benitez was absolutely enraged with Diouff and his agent, and now that the worm has turned and Benitez is Liverpool boss, Diouff was never going to have a future.

I have heard nothing about Carl Medjani leaving. Anybody got anything more concrete? I remember Houllier hyping him as the next Nesta!  :suspect:
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:31 pm

liverpoolfc.tv have it...

Liverpool have confirmed that Carl Medjani has joined French outfit Lorient on a season long loan. 
The French defender was signed by former manager Gerard Houllier last summer but has never forced his way into the Reds' first team.

He joins an ever growing list of players to leave Anfield on loan for the new season with Anthony Le Tallec, Gregory Vignal and Alou Diarra having already secured new clubs for next year.

Medjani's loan agreement at Lorient runs from August 1 2004 to June 30 2005. 

---

Interesting that so many French-speaking players are being shipped out, as the BBC site mentioned.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:32 pm

diouf is nothing but a spoilt overhyped waste of space.  shut the door on ya way out and don't come back! :glare:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby madred » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:33 pm

Yeah i heard that 1 JBG. As soon as Benitez was announced as manager i was telling my mate that he tried to sign Diouf before he came to Liverpool. We both came to the conclusion that he might be given a chance under him. How wrong we were.
madred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:43 pm

It's worrying that its now almost impossible to get a transfer fee for under achieving players.

Years ago you could sell some of your c*ap players to Man City or Spurs and still get a million or two for them.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:49 pm

You look at Biscan moving from central defence to a defenceive midfielder and you can already see an improvement under Benni

So we coulda and shoulda play Diouf as a striker for a while inder Benni and see what he comes up with...tell me who doesn't agree??

however, we shoulda and coulda done this before but if u ask me, we already have 4 wondeful strikers and it is very much to late to experinment Diouf so send him to Malaga as there is no time.

OWEN FOR TOP SCORER YAY!!!!!
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:12 pm

Lets all thank GH for another £10m plus (£4m so far in wages) down the drain. Think about diouf has cost nearly £5m for every goal scored.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:14 pm

and probably 1 million for every bit og spit that came outa his gob too!  :glare:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion