Diouf - Opinions please?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:30 pm

El Hadji Diouf has vowed to prove the doubters wrong by convincing Rafael Benitez he is worth a place in his new Liverpool plans. 

Diouf admits he is yet to live up to the £10 million price tag which accompanied him when he signed from Lens two seasons ago, but he refuses to accept he has no future at Anfield and he is desperate to prove he is good enough to wear the red shirt next season.

The Senegal star, who is reportedly being tracked by Portsmouth, insists he has no desire to leave the Premiership and he is says he is looking forward to working with Liverpool's new boss.

"I have a contract with Liverpool and my objective is to stay here," Diouf said.

"I left France to succeed in The Premiership and I have not yet done that.

"I can speak very well of the new coach, Benitez, and I want to demonstrate to him that I can serve a purpose for his new project."

He added: "There are teams that are interested in me but Liverpool have said nothing to me about it.

"I would only leave England to play in a league like Spain's which, perhaps next to England, is the best in the world." 

get rid!!!!!!
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mistyred » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:33 pm

AGREED:;):
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:35 pm

I want to leave that decision to the manager.He will assess for himself if Diouf has a future at Anfield.???
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 84-1083280474 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:41 am

I dont like Diouf. He's ok, skillful, but he cant pass shoot score or cross. I just dont think he can cut it in any premiership team, never mind LFc i dont think his style is cut for LFc.

Whats worrying is, Benitex, may not know how bad some of these players were last season and may be impressed with them in pre-season. :angry:
84-1083280474

Postby Dalglish » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:19 am

Diouff made a good start last season but it didn't last and by the end wasn't making the bench...... His indiscipline at Celtic set him back a long way and he has been disciplined for other matters by the club since.

He can't shoot for toffee (Maybe Everton wil take him :D ) , his crossing is not up to the standard and apart from a  few moments of skill and trickery largely ineffective.

New managers often turn at least 1 player round when they join a club, let's hope it is Diouf cos at £10 Million it would be a costly mistake should we sell him on .....I must say though I am doubtful ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:21 am

To be honest I feel sorry for Diouf. He was built up by GH as being this wondrous talent that would make the fans forget about him passing up on Anelka, and then he proceeded to play him out of position for the best part of two seasons. I have to say that in the few games I saw him play up front he looked pretty good, and for the most part when he played right midfield he looked aimless and average, which to me says more about GH than it does about Diouf. Like any striker you never know how good they are until they get a good run of matches, and he's been unfortunate to have been elbowed out of things.

Okay, the spitting incident against Celtic was unforgiveable, but he's been punished and I now I hope that with a fresh start, Benitez will get some value out of him.
ivor_the_injun

Postby cheesecrackernuts » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:20 am

Weel guys, i thinking that the striker will not considering a reduction in his wages could scupper any deal as Malaga, Betis and Pompey are all unlikely to be prepared to meet his demands. If he wants a move, the Spanish league is very interesting and Diouf would be a king there for his style of play.    :angry:   Some Spanish clubs once contacted Hadji but the conversations did not finally come to anything.     The agent of Diouf has confirmed his client is being chased by clubs in Spain, but insists he is not looking to leave Anfield.   
:angry:
cheesecrackernuts

Postby cheesecrackernuts » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:27 am

:angry:
cheesecrackernuts

Postby cheesecrackernuts » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:28 am

anybody wants to seeing my cuttie rabbit? :)
believe me he don't bite  :)
cheesecrackernuts

Postby Santa » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:32 am

El Hadji's main problem is his attitude. While he may be talented and being played out of position, but his discipline and salary (blame GH :angry: ) makes him bad value for money.
Time to move on...
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:44 am

Will not be missed by me at all if he goes.

Only skillful in dribbling but does not know how to apply his skills - I mean trying to dribble 2 or 3 Premiership players every time? Gotta be kidding as these players are not Sunday park players and one does not see Maradona, even in his prime, attempt to dribble past opponents in the Italian league every time he gets the ball.

Also Diouf can't pass, can't cross the ball properly and most important for a so-called striker, can't hit the target well enough.

Go! Let's not deprive fans like us of watching players who really have the heart and passion for playing as a Liverpool player.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:15 am

Just get get rid of him Benni~
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:47 am

Remember that Doiuf was a scapegoat of GH?
He must have hated Diouf to the bones which may be partly responsible for Diouf's performance, maybe.
It's a real disgrace for a manager to have a go at an active player in the squad. He once said that the disappointment had been El-Hadji Diouf due to his great potential but had never shown consistency.
He had inspired Lens to the verge of a French championnat, and had been star for Senegal in the 2002 Nations Cup finals. Those accomplishments were enough for Diouf to be awarded the African player of the year award in 2001 and 2002 and all seemed set fair to do something in England. But that's never happened.
The temperamental man will have to get his act together if he is not to be reserved pride of place in the list of wasted talents. As GH pointed out, what is infuriating about Diouf is HAS special ability - yet not using the best of it. Now that GH has left Liverpool, He should have the new chance with the new manager.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Puddlian Lane » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:13 pm

I agree with the attitude comments. Not only is he unsporting but very unprofessional and I believe even he did hit form this season (which I doubt) he'll pack up and leave when another offer comes along.
Puddlian Lane

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:16 pm

the only thing that i can say in diouf's defence is that he is still very young (23 i think). any potential sale would see us making a massive loss. if benitez has plans to use him as a striker he may have a future. if not then get rid.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion