Cody Gakpo – Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Santa » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:20 am

Welcome to Liverpool...at 23 years old, high probability to achieve a Legend in the red shirt in the coming season.

Per PSV official account...

PSV and LFC have reached an agreement on the proposed transfer of Cody Gakpo.

The 23-year-old attacker will leave for England imminently where he will be subjected to the necessary formalities ahead of the completion of the transfer.

When all are fit, our forward options will be super tasty
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:15 am

Not sure what to make of this signing, there are area’s of the team which are much more of a pressing priority imo (i.e    midfield).
Given we already have Diaz, Nunez, Mo, Jota, Bobby plus a plethora of exciting youngsters coming through the ranks like Carvalho, Elliott, Doak, Gordon etc I’m not 100% sure this constitutes best use of our resources. After forking out £45m on this fella I’ll be surprised if we bring in a big money CM this window.
From what I saw of this lad during the WC he looked decent but not as good as say Diaz, Mo or Nunez.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:31 am

Welcome to the club. He had a good WC and was doing well in PSV too, hope he continues that with us as well.

I agree with yakka that signing a midfielder was more important than anything else, hopefully there's money left for that too. On the other hand, didn't Gakpo play in midfield in a few games for Holland? Maybe we're planning on using him there instead.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby electrum » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:59 am

Good player with a solid record...but he's not a midfielder.

Are we preparing for life without Bobby and possibly looking at moving Jota on to balance the books?

Gakpo, Diaz, Nunez, Salah, Elliot, Carvalho, Doak as the pool from which to draw 3 attackers for matchdays?
electrum
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Reg » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:08 am

I don't think buying this lad has any impact on us buying a top midfielder at all, Diaz and Jota are injured and we needed another man and we have him. I suspect Bobby will leave this window, Atletico are apparently interested.

Midfield wise, hearing that United are confident to get Enzo Fernandez strengthens my belief we'll get Bellingham - if we weren't in the race then Fernandez would have been a cheap alternative. If we land Fernandez, forget Bellingham.

Good luck to Gakpo, let's hope he can at least get his shot on goal unlike Andy Nunez.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:13 pm

I’m surprised to see he is 1.89m, much taller than I thought.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:13 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2wLAqazITM

His YouTube clip, looks promising.

A left sided, right footed player With a great cross. Looking forward to him taking the corners, which we don’t score enough from.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:25 am

He looks a really good signing especially for the price. I think with Diaz now out longterm we have had to act as quick as possible to fill that gap. We've played Carvalho and Ox there and one of thems not ready, and Ox has become a shadow of his former self.

I think we'll also bring in a midfielder.. wouldn't suprise me if we break the bank for Enzo.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:23 am

I just hope he can have a similar impact to Diaz, looks like he'll slot in the left.
We're going for the tall lads now first Nunez and now Gakpo.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:15 pm

He seems to know where the net is anyway, despite playing out wide he’s the top scorer in the Dutch league and leads the league in terms of assists as well.
Signing players from the eredivisie can be a bit hit and miss and a bit of a lottery but quality players do ply their trade there so let’s hope we get lucky re this guy.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:44 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:15 am wrote:Not sure what to make of this signing, there are area’s of the team which are much more of a pressing priority imo (i.e    midfield).
Given we already have Diaz, Nunez, Mo, Jota, Bobby plus a plethora of exciting youngsters coming through the ranks like Carvalho, Elliott, Doak, Gordon etc I’m not 100% sure this constitutes best use of our resources. After forking out £45m on this fella I’ll be surprised if we bring in a big money CM this window.
From what I saw of this lad during the WC he looked decent but not as good as say Diaz, Mo or Nunez.

Totally agree with your concerns Yakka. I'm more than happy to see Gakpo added to our squad but I think almost every LFC supporter is crying out for a reinforcement to our midfield.
As I see it, right now an on form and fit Thiago aside , we have a midfield sadly lacking in so many departments.  :down:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:37 am

Don't know much about the lad other than what I seen in the WC. Thought he was alright myself. His stats are impressive for PSV. Scores goals and has plenty of assists.

I thought we would sign a mid myself but still think this is a really good signing. With Diaz and Jota out it makes sense to strengthen now as top 4 could be gone by the time they are fit again. If he clicks with Nunez then he will be worth his weight in gold this season.

Hopefully he gets a few minutes on Monday.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:37 pm

kazza » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:13 pm wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2wLAqazITM

His YouTube clip, looks promising.

A left sided, right footed player With a great cross. Looking forward to him taking the corners, which we don’t score enough from.

I can see Robbo losing taking the corners on the left with Gakpo in the team.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:27 pm

No love for Cody? 6 goals in 13 league starts and getting the best out of his teammates with his intelligent pressing and linkup play as the false 9. Wasn't sure very early on but he's looking like a smart signing.
Eagle

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:17 pm

Eagle » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:27 pm wrote:No love for Cody? 6 goals in 13 league starts and getting the best out of his teammates with his intelligent pressing and linkup play as the false 9. Wasn't sure very early on but he's looking like a smart signing.

:nod  Agreed, Despite some questioning his signing (myself included) the fella is proving to be a superb addition to the squad.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion