Can we win the league next season? - Honestly

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:01 pm

I'm not blinded by my love to Liverpool when I say, of course we can, and I think it will be Rafa's main goal.

Reading this forum this days is a little deja vu for me. It reminds me the times that Real Madrid were strong, and they started to have no one galactico, but a team of Galacticos. Zidane, Raul, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Figo, Owen in the bench, FFS! how could we compete against them?

We did not only compete, but almost won the league against them. I think that a dressroom is like a yard, in which you must have a few or one :censored: and the rest must be hens. You cannot make a team of leaders. Chelsea is on the way of making the same mistakes Real Madrid did, and if you ask me with even less impressive names. I'm truly optimistic.
:)

Erm, for som reasons, the male version of the hen is censored  :laugh:
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:11 pm

much as id love to be wrong .......no .....squad isnt strong enough yet........getting there tho
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby Good Bob » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:36 pm

Sabre wrote:I'm not blinded by my love to Liverpool when I say, of course we can, and I think it will be Rafa's main goal.

Reading this forum this days is a little deja vu for me. It reminds me the times that Real Madrid were strong, and they started to have no one galactico, but a team of Galacticos. Zidane, Raul, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Figo, Owen in the bench, FFS! how could we compete against them?

We did not only compete, but almost won the league against them. I think that a dressroom is like a yard, in which you must have a few or one :censored: and the rest must be hens. You cannot make a team of leaders. Chelsea is on the way of making the same mistakes Real Madrid did, and if you ask me with even less impressive names. I'm truly optimistic.
:)

Erm, for som reasons, the male version of the hen is censored  :laugh:

Cock = Slang term for Penis Sabre... :D
Good Bob

Postby skipper » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:46 pm

^ :laugh:

I think we got a good shot next season.  Like many have said, Chelsea are not going to get better.  I have a feeling they'll slip up next season.

Keys for Liverpool to win the Prem:

1. Bring in the right personnel, especially striker(s)

2. Get off to a fast start.  Even with the CL matches, our start in the Prem this season was not very sharp.  Falling behind early will come back to hurt.  We must start off quick.

3. Beat the top teams
Out of a possible 18 points against Chelsea, Manure, and Arsenal, we got 4.  We've improved on beating the teams we are suppose to beat.  Now, we must take it to another level and beat these top teams.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:31 pm

azriahmad wrote:To accommodate and get the max from Schevchenko, he'd have to play 2 up front, with Drogba as the battering ram yet again but with Schevchenko alongside to feed off the scraps. He's intelligent and can also create so he'd be the first choice and either Drogba or another will play depending on the opposition.

More interesting will be the midfield. If Moureen has to accommodate both Ballack and Lamps, with Joe Cole, Duff or Robben on the flanks, he may have to sacrifice the holding midfield which may allow opposition more room to attack Terry & co and more goalscoring chances. Otherwise, he'd have a very unhappy Ballack or Lamps, poorer team morale, and more players who'd need IQ tests like Carvalho.

It is going to be interesting to see how Jose plays his midfielders. Whatever he does he is going to have world class superstars on the bench. If he plays Lampard and Ballack (and you kinda figure he has to) then he either loses his effectivness on the flanks by dropping three of Cole, Duff, Robben and Wright-Philliips.....that would leave some unhappy players. Alternatively he drops Makelele and plays with no holding player. Either way he is losing out and Chelsea will be less effective. I have no idea what will happen and while Chelsea remain massive favourites I think there is hope that teams can expose them if they play a different system.....much like we did in the FA Cup semi.  :D
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:02 am

If we get off to a good start next season, we'll have every chance. If we go a couple of months unbeaten, then that puts the pressure on teams around us.

Last season, Chelsea weren't massively impressive early on (they nearly lost on the first day to Wigan, don't forget), but they ground out results, and because the likes of us and Man U dropped points, they were well away without having to do anything too spectacular.

It's a habit I'd dearly love us to acquire. I'm all for us playing blistering, jaw-dropping football and cantering to victory every now and then, but I'd have absolutely no objection to us digging in when our passes aren't finding their man, and getting three points via ugly set-piece scrambles late on in games that we haven't looked like winning. That's what champions do, and that's the real difference between us and Chelsea right now. Several times last season we were the better team and we still dropped points. Chelsea sucked balls on many occasions, but come the final whistle they almost always had 3 more points to their name.
ivor_the_injun

Postby red37 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:42 am

one things for sure -  kalou,ballack,shevchenko,hilario and mikel are all seemingly quality additions to an already overblown squad. all done and dusted before the world cup even starts....

where do you even begin.

it looks likely that most of liverpools shopping will have to be done in the bargain bin as it is, give or take the odd surprise.
or the odd work permit. thats probably the way rafa works best with nurturing untapped or underrated talent. and while they'll not exactly be poundstretcher prices, it seems ludicrous a club of this magnitude is left to pick the bones of others leftovers.

where we do have the edge for me is in discipline, drive and versatility. forget team spirit. all top sides must have that in abundance or they'd fall to bits, it goes without saying. at least the successful ones do.

our squad is made up of the sum of its parts not the individual brilliance of its stars. this is finally becoming apparent to the national coach, albeit at the 11th hour...funny how 2 of the unlikeliest heroes that could emerge in germany are from this club. and it is in that respect that liverpool's chances have improved in the quality in the squad, not the first 11 alone.

the difference with chelsea's squad (which really should be called their second 11)  is, that our back-up lads are fighting their way up the ladder in order to win a place. whereas mourinho is quite content to see 'A' list players sit on their ar5es reeling in the reddies just in case they feature in the carling cup etc.  you have to wonder if some of the players themselves are that bothered....or at least the ones who give a sh1t will end up causing unrest in the end.

of course you need the gerrards,terry's,beckhams,lampards and owens of the world in any side. every top draw teamsheet is bound to have at least 3 or 4 'big' players on it.

but give me 11 hungry b.uggers who'd die for their colours anyday over a galaxy of pampered and pussy footed prima donnas. and once the rot sets in, its hard to shift.

now "would sir like one more waffer thin mint..."  no ta.

thats why we still have a chance next season. just.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:07 am

The thing is though, Chelsea can only have 11 players on the pitch, and no more than 3 subs. They can buy absolutely every top name in the world, but they can't play them all at once.

Of course, strength in depth can and will count over the course of a season. Personally though, I'm all for packing the squad with quality as opposed to quantity. We'll have good options for every position come the new season - we're nearly there now -  and that's all we need. Maureen has made several comments about trimming his squad down, but he's apparently only letting 3 players go, and he's brought 5 new faces in already. Too many cooks, anyone?...
ivor_the_injun

Postby Reg » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:19 am

joko wrote:liverpool champion europe, next year to champion england, okay?
yes liverpool!

Quite right laddie and who's going to disagree with that ?!  :grinning:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:50 am

Can we win it next season? Yes we can but it will be VERY difficult. So much depends on Rafa's moves in the transfer market this off-season and in many ways the club are in exactly the same position as we were going into the last World Cup. I think the manager must have a bit of money to spend but i have a feeling it will be less than our three rivals (certainly less than chelsea/United) so Rafa will need to be quite cute with his signings. I'm very encouraged to see the club are being strongly linked with Malbranque at Fulham and the other signings will need to be just as shrewd. Next season's title race has all the makings of a classic. It could and should be a genuine 4 horse race. Of course Chelsea are the STRONG favourites but it really could go to any of the top four.

Chelsea - It's all changed at Chelsea this off-season with the MASSIVE signings they have made. They are unlike many previous champions in that despite their dominance the past two years, they are very workmanlike in their approach and they are very much a TEAM devoid of any real superstars in a similar mould to Mourinho's Porto team. The dynamic of the dressing room will change dramatically now and i also wonder how Mourinho will deal with the 'new galactico' image. I also think he struggled to deal with the press last season, they smell blood and you can guarantee they will continue to go after him should results slip next season.

Chelsea's biggest strength for me is their ability to grind out wins against the smaller teams in the league no matter how poorly they are playing. When Chelsea are up against the likes of Villa, Charlton or Sunderland you simply know they are going to win. If someone else is gonna be champ then we need some of the smaller teams to grow some balls and the
belief that they can give Chelsea a game. Of course the fact they have just added Ballack to an already impressive midfield and are now talking about the likes of Shevchenko means they have by far the deepest squad in world football. Also, they have a fantastic manager, tremendous team spirit and mental strength. It will take something special to knock them off their perch.

Arsenal - It's gonna be an interesting season for Arsenal. Henry staying is as big for them as Stevie agreeing to stay on last summer. They will miss the leadership/influence of Bergkamp and much depends on how quickly they can turn the Emirates stadium into 'home'. Highbury wasn't called the 'library' for nothing so if they can get off to a good start i fully expect them to be challenging for the title again this time around. I've been very impressed with the kids who carried them so far in Europe. Eboue looks 1st class, Toure and Senderos are really developing and Diaby, Adebayor and Walcott look like they have great potential. Arsenal got bullied about last season and i wonder if Wenger will bring in someone to provide a bit of leadership & English true grit for those tough away days to the likes of Bolton. Maybe someone in the Kevin Nolan mould or perhaps semeone big and strong to play up front.

United - Tough to see which way United will go. losing Horse will be a big loss and i expect it to cost them (by the way i would love it if we signed him) They now rely on Rooney as much as England do and should he struggle to some back from this injury their season could go up in smoke before it has even started. They will welcome back Scholes and Heinze who were massive losses last year but i think everyone would agree that it all depends on the 2 midfield players Fergie brings in this summer. I expect them to go for a big name like Gattuso or Diarra and then someone like Steven Davis (an excellent prospect) from Villa. If Fergie gets that right then you would have to expect them to be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. with Fergie's track record you'd be stupid not to.

As for us, i don't think we're far away. I'm very encouraged with the way we brushed aside some of the smaller teams (a'la Chelsea) last season but it's pretty obvious Rafa needs to improve his league record against our rivals. Just two Anfield wins against Arsenal and a couple of draws with united over two seasons is way short of title form and will have to change if that Premiership trophy is to end up at Anfield this time next year. Much depends on how Rafa moves in the transfer market in the summer. I would like to see someone like Malbranque or Pennant come in to spell Gerrard on the right and then I would like to see us spend the rest of the available money on a quality player up-front. Must admit I have watched a bit of David Villa over the last couple of months and he looks perfect for this club. I would break the bank for him but i don't think we have the cash. I also wonder if Benitez might gamble a little and go for someone like Anelka who (for me) has the talent in the right set-up to be one of the top 3 strikers in the country.

Perhaps the biggest hurdle for the Reds is expectation and belief. United seemed to struggle with the burden of having gone so long without the title up till 1992. It weighed them down and if Liverpool Football club top the table going into March next year you can be sure it will weigh on the players mind. I've been encouraged with the talk coming from the likes of Rafa, Gerrard, Carra and the other senior players just lately. you can tell they believe this team is on the brink of something special, they really beleive the title is there to be won. We heard the same things going into the last world Cup but you get the impression it's for real this time.

YNWA...
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:24 am

I want Liverpool to win EPL next season and I think I know why Cheshit buy Ballack and Sheva . Because they really really want to win CL . The only way to "break Cheshit Heart" is to beat them in CL (dont let them win in CL ). If don't win CL next season, I think the owner will quit the season after next season.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby Espionage » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:36 am

Personally I dont think that Abromovich is going anywhere for a long time.  He has made an investment in CFC and I think will stay until he gets the success that he thinks the investment deserves.  The only way that he will leave is if the fans turn against him.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tel » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:39 am

john craig wrote:
tel wrote:We are in for a great year next season.

Mark my words. Chelsea will drop off this season.

There is a very fine line between where Chelsea and Real Madrid are.

Buying ageing football stars who are starting to think about life after football and losing their hunger for success.

Ballack and Sheva will struggle in the English league. Ballack came for the money and not the bruises. Sheva is a superstar that has nothing left to prove in the game.

More recent versions of Zidane, Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos. That's what Chelsea is buying.

Gallas and J Cole are unsettled and Robben is looking for a new club.

Chelsea = the new Real Madrid.

Liverpool = the new Barcelona

It's a good point about the older players - Ballack and Shevchenko may not have the same hunger they had a few seasons back, but unfortunately you can't be sure about this.  There have been plenty examples of older overseas players coming to the premiership and flourishing - Makelele is a great example.  Personally I think that while Ballack and Shevchenko undoubtedly came for one last pay day, they are both fighters on the pitch, both winners.  They are also both physical players which means they have a good chance of adapting to the league quickly. 

The reason why one or both of these signings may not work is more likely to do with the system Chelsea plays.  How do you incorporate both those players?  Shevchenko is never a lone striker and Ballack and Lampard might get in each other's way.  Changes to their system is needed.

The other problem is Ballack's ego.  I would imagine Shevchenko is a good pro, but Ballack is a whinger.  Only this week he was moaning to the German press about Klinsmann's tactics for the national side.  It'll be interesting to see if he starts any of that nonsense with Mourinho.  Keeping the squad happy will be Mourinho's biggest task next year.

I'd like to think of Makelele as one of the few exceptions.

But Ballack is no Makelele in terms of professionalism. You're right to point out that he is prone to whining. He is also disliked by his teamates at both club and national level. He will cause problems in the dressing room at Chelsea which already has a few egos.

Sheva is a superstar, and knows how to beat the dirtiest defenders. But he moved not for the football, but for his wife, and his heart is in Milan. Very rarely does that work out. I am certain he will be useful but not as damaging as he has been with Milan. Look at Crespo. He went to London for the money and he hasnt played half as well as he did for Lazio or Milan on loan last season.
tel

Postby babu » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:35 am

LiverpoolMadman wrote:I want Liverpool to win EPL next season and I think I know why Cheshit buy Ballack and Sheva . Because they really really want to win CL . The only way to "break Cheshit Heart" is to beat them in CL (dont let them win in CL ). If don't win CL next season, I think the owner will quit the season after next season.

Do you think after the 2006/08 season after spending roughly half a billion pounds on the club, Abromovich will leave if they don't win the ECL?

There is no-way thats gonna happen. I reckon if Chelsea don't have a strong showing the ECL next season, Jose will be shown the door. A new manager will be brought in (hopefully Sven will be available  :D ) and then maybe if they don't win the ECL Abromovich may sell some of his stake in the club.

He won't simply walk away, he'd never get a buyer to pay even half of what he has spent on club over the last 3 years. His best exit strategy IMO, is to slowly sell his stake in the club and slowly distance himself. However having said all that he is ridicously rich and could probably afford to just walk away, but i wouldn't make sense.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:46 am

Abramovic is not the one who will be leaving if Chelski don't win the CL, it will be Moureen, simply because his transfer moves indicates that he's desperate to win the CL.

The CL is probably the hardest prize to win in football, not to mention the prestiege and the richest of them all. IMHO, the CL is even more difficult to win than the World Cup, as you don't get to face wipping boys (there may be some "weaker" teams but even they tend to have some surprises to have been abot to get to the Group stage) once you are in the Group stage. Apart from the obvious need to have a well balanced team, luck of the draw and the timing of meeting your opponents (sometimes you draw a strong opponent who are going through a bad spell, like Benfica did against us last season) also play a crucia part. In the CL, tactical nous is a bigger factor than in the domestic league.

I dare say that if Benitez is the Chelsea manager, they'd probably win the CL with all of the playing resources they had, Moureen put on some wierd tactics/player combinations against Barca when they were knocked out.

Moureen knows that he must deliver the CL next season, as his professional reputaion will be dented when having so much money yet can't conquer the CL and it will make Porto's win seem even more of a fluke. Then, he was aided by the draw and by Berlusconi pressuring Ancelotti to play a more attacking game against Deportivo which AC Milan duly went on to lose 4-1 on aggregate.

Chelsea's buying of established superstars, albeit both now pushing 30, will cause the inevitable friction in the club and may infact cause him to rejig his pragmatic-style formation and open up chances to other teams to steal a march on them in the EPL. Liverpool has to be much more consistent to capitalise on this.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion