Best purchase - Take account of transfer price

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:53 pm

Wasn't Dalglish close to a british record at 440k, Barnes wasn't cheap either at 800k (more than half british record), Alonso at 10m doesn't count and Did Hamann was a german international.

Come on guys!

IN recent years - Hypia is probably only one. probably similar purchase to Hansen although I think more expensive (I'm including massive football inflation) and a shade behind in ability (thats a compliment - only a shade)

Oh yeah - some LFC fans had already heard of Mccallister and Robbie whats his name  :D before we got them on frees

Can't beat the Paisley suggestion though
Last edited by Big Niall on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:58 pm

if carson goes for 10million then we got our answer :D
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:13 pm

stmichael wrote:alonso is a snip at £10.5m when you consider the following.

carrick- £18m
hargreaves- £18m
essien £24m
anderson £17m

hell even spurs paid something like £8.5m for zokora and he's not fit to lace alonso's boots.

I was told by someone that United tried to by Alonso for something like 20 million, but he rejected the move and went to us for less. Not sure if this is true, though.

As for bargains, I'd say along with Hyypia, Agger's price of 5.8 million is an absolute steal, considering dopey Rio's ridiculous 29.9 million price tag.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:28 pm

stmichael wrote:carrick- £18m
hargreaves- £18m
essien £24m
anderson £17m

Essien is worth every penny I reckon
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:37 pm

Effes wrote:
stmichael wrote:carrick- £18m
hargreaves- £18m
essien £24m
anderson £17m

Essien is worth every penny I reckon

Agreed, he is a monster.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:40 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Effes wrote:I though Barnes was very cheap, think he was £900K, which in 1987 was
still very cheap.

Dalglish was a snip at £440,000 also.

Sure that was a record at the time.

Using the retail price index, £440,000 in 1977 is the equivalent of £1,888,932.78 now.

By that same token, the £110k we paid for Hansen works out as £472,233.20.

Paisley's tenner signing on fee is the real eye-opener though. That works out as £426.08 in today's money. Cheap at a million times the price.  :bowdown
ivor_the_injun

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:42 pm

id take 8 million hamann over essien 8 days a week tho
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:17 pm

I would go along similar lines to Leon

But my shout would be
Geoff Twentyman we paid 10,000 for him in 1953 (had to look that up) may have seemed a lot of money for a player in them days but look what the man has done for this club. Never seemed to hit the top as a player but as chief scout for our club there was no one better.

Much of our success in the 70s and 80s was down to the scouting network. Twentyman had the ability to look at 22 players on a pitch in the lower leagues and pick out someone with potential,

Many scouts looked at Rushie when he was playing for Chester and wernt impressed , but Twentyman recommended that we sign him, well the rest is history .  Some of the other lower league players that he also recomended that we bought were Keegan, Clemence,Neal, and Hanson, and numouros others to many to mention

As far as im concerned this man worked for the good of our club and  looking at his discoveries I think it was £10,000 well spent.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:50 pm

In the modern era it's very hard to look beyond Hyppia. When I first saw the thread title I thought Sami and since readin the other posts, I'm not inspired to go with anybody else.

In years gone by, while not exactly unknown at the time, the two lads we picked up from Oxford weren't too bad nor expensive, and we din't have to win a bidding war to get them. Ray Houghton was one of the most accomplished midfielders of his time, while in Aldridge we signed a striker of really the very highest quality. He remains for me one of the best goalscorers who have ever played for our club, and gets nowhere near the credit he deserves from those who do not support Liverpool, and probably not from many who do either to tell the truth.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:12 pm

In recent times i'd also have to agree on Hyppia. Absolute bargain price, has played superbly for two different managers and a variety of defensive partners and still going strong. 2.6 million for the best part of a decade's solid service . I'll be ABSOLUTELY gutted when the time comes to let him go. Going back a little further I have to agree that Barnes was a bargain. He might have cost half the British transfer record at the time but you can bet he made 10 times the impact of whoever toppped the money list at the time. Ansolute legend for me who again gave a decade's quality service to the club :bowdown
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:35 am

Scottbot wrote:In recent times i'd also have to agree on Hyppia. Absolute bargain price, has played superbly for two different managers and a variety of defensive partners and still going strong. 2.6 million for the best part of a decade's solid service . I'll be ABSOLUTELY gutted when the time comes to let him go. Going back a little further I have to agree that Barnes was a bargain. He might have cost half the British transfer record at the time but you can bet he made 10 times the impact of whoever toppped the money list at the time. Ansolute legend for me who again gave a decade's quality service to the club :bowdown

Totally agree. Hyypia was someone we never even knew existed. For me his attitude shown through when he was stripped of the captaincy, he never bitched, he never moaned he just got on with it. Legend.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:37 am

Be interesting to see how many different names would get a mention if this was asked again in ten years time cus Rafa loves a bargin, and considering only Hyypia from the hole Souness/Evans/Houllier era is worth talkin about in terms of an unknown, cheapish buy turning into a ledgend. Few possibles at the club now though.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:55 am

Best buy per manager :-

Shankly - Keegan   -£35k
Paisley  - Hanson   -£100k
Fagan   - Molby     -£200k
Dalglish - McMahon-£350k
Souness- R. Jones -£300k
Evans   - Murphy  -£1.5m
Houllier - Hyypia   -£2.5m
Benitez - Agger    -£5.8m (I had never heard of him anyway)
account deleted by request

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:03 am

s@int wrote:Best buy per manager :-

Shankly - Keegan   -£35k
Paisley  - Hanson   -£100k
Fagan   - Molby     -£200k
Dalglish - McMahon-£350k
Souness- R. Jones -£300k
Evans   - Murphy  -£1.5m
Houllier - Hyypia   -£2.5m
Benitez - Agger    -£5.8m (I had never heard of him anyway)

Just looking at that list makes you realise how blessed we have been with some of the finest talents available that were spotted by our guys in charge. Overall of that list would be dalglish, what he did as a player, player/manager and manager is something extraordinary and will be number 1 for many years.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:04 am

And yes I do realise that you put dalglish as signing mcmahon !
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion