Josemi not good enough! - Benitez starting to sound like.......

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby spion » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:37 pm

Benitez's starting to sound like HOULLIER!!!!! "Josemi will play more games in the centre of defence". No sh*t Sherlock. With an at best average back up player in the guise of Whitbread Liverpool are threadbare in the central of defence & already two games behind the rest because of champions league qualifing games & the Mickey mouse trophy against CSKA, games will come thick & fast. If we get a long term injury to either Hyypia or(please God no) Carra we'll be in the poo big time. Benitez could be one of the greats at Liverpool but managers are measured on there buisness skills as well as the footballing side & at the moment Rafa is falling short in the buying department. Why is it that Bryan Robson or Steve(Teddyboy)Mclaren can tempt player a plenty to those two bob tin pot teams & yet Benitez could'nt even get Stellios to Liverpool(The European champions)? No, I'm fearful of our season league wise, with the world club championships soon & other european games our beloved team will be shown for what it is. Like Jodie Kidd, beautiful. But much too thin. YNWA
spion

Postby Belfastred » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:08 pm

spion wrote:Why is it that Bryan Robson or Steve(Teddyboy)Mclaren can tempt player a plenty to those two bob tin pot teams & yet Benitez could'nt even get Stellios to Liverpool(The European champions)?

Because Robson & McLaren can guarentee these guys first team football everyweek, at Liverpool they are squad players.

Calm yourself down and think about it. Do you want us to fork out millions on players that we didnt really want in the first place..Im sure our squad will hold out until January.
Belfastred

Postby Paul C » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:10 pm

Josemi's prefered position is in the centre as thats where he played for Malaga, this is an interview from liverpoolfc.tv:

Spanish defender Josemi has insisted Liverpool fans will see a marked improvement in his first team displays this season.
Josemi admits his debut season on Merseyside wasn't much to write home about as he struggled to adapt to the pace of the Premiership and had a number of injury problems to contend with.

But after playing back to back games for the Reds over the last week, the 25 year old has played down speculation over his future and insisted he wants to force his way into Rafael Benitez's first team plans on a regular basis.

"I had difficulties in my first season here but I feel things are going to get better," he said. "I'm very happy, not only at the football club, but away from the game. My wife is expecting a baby and we feel more settled in the area. I feel there is a lot for me to look forward to and be positive about this year.

"It's not always easy when you come to a new country and it can take time to get used to it. When you are settled, the football becomes more enjoyable.

"Little by little things are starting to improve. It also helps me to be part of a good team and to be working with a manager and coaches who have always been good to me and always wanted to help when I've had difficulties. They are happy with me and have always told me they believe in me, which gives me confidence."

He added: "A lot of people spoke about me returning to Spain in the summer, but for me that was never an intention. I wanted to remain here and show I could be an important player for Liverpool.

"My biggest hope for the season is to ensure I don't get any injuries because I feel this caused most difficulties for me last season. Until I was injured I thought things were going well.

"If I'm used as a centre back more, I'll be happy. I love tackling and this is where I'm strongest.

"In my last season at Malaga I played centre back, not right back so it's not a problem position for me. In fact, it's a position I enjoy very much."
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dia- mond » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:35 pm

we have to give josemi a chance to show what he can do.He played very well i thought against CSKA.
we all talk about giving the other spanish players time to adapt to the prem, so lets give the lad support. we dont have that many options, let him prove himself.
dia- mond

Postby Paul C » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:41 pm

dia- mond wrote:we have to give josemi a chance to show what he can do.He played very well i thought against CSKA.
we all talk about giving the other spanish players time to adapt to the prem, so lets give the lad support. we dont have that many options, let him prove himself.

Yeah but if people gave him some time then they wouldn't have any scape goat to complain about, Traore was the scape goat but now the lynch mob are onto Josemi  :p
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedWolf35 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:47 pm

Give him a chance you muppet     :p
RedWolf35

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:48 pm

I for one like Josemi and was pretty impressed with him. I played pro football at a young age and was a centre half. I see good qualities in Josemi - good in the air, positionally sound and a good tackler. He is only 25 so give the guy a chance.

Again I ask people to trust Benitez and his ideas...
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby dia- mond » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:49 pm

Well maybe it's just me, but I thought bambie wer'nt that bad,he did show little flashes of brilliance (that maybe slightly be the wrong word to discribe it) and you either love him or hate him , but as you say there has to be a scape goat.
dia- mond

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:22 pm

Josemi isn't that bad
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:41 pm

Josemi for my money will never amount to anything more than a squad player. He is far to slow to play at right back, as we saw in the super cup final his lack of pace left him exposed against the trickery of CSKA's brazillian winger and he doesn't have anywhere near the physical presence to provide adequate cover at centre back. While I would never criticise his commitment or enthusiasm these qualities alone are not enough to benifit a team looking to challenge for the very top european honours.

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:46 pm

thegreedo wrote:Josemi for my money will never amount to anything more than a squad player. He is far to slow to play at right back, as we saw in the super cup final his lack of pace left him exposed against the trickery of CSKA's brazillian winger and he doesn't have anywhere near the physical presence to provide adequate cover at centre back. While I would never criticise his commitment or enthusiasm these qualities alone are not enough to benifit a team looking to challenge for the very top european honours.

I agree about the pace but like it says in the article he is a CB and not a RB, Hyypia doesn't have pace but is a great CB, regards the physical presence well I have to disagree because Josemi will snap anything to get to the ball which is a problem cos sometimes he dives in a bit too much but you can't question his comitment  :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby troff » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:55 pm

dia- mond wrote:we have to give josemi a chance to show what he can do.He played very well i thought against CSKA.

I thought he had a solid game against CSKA as well, any ball they put in the air he seemed to get his head to...including that fluke early on which just hit the back of his head. I think people forget that he did look quite promising at the start of last season.
troff

Postby redsforever » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:56 pm

thegreedo wrote:Josemi for my money will never amount to anything more than a squad player. He is far to slow to play at right back, as we saw in the super cup final his lack of pace left him exposed against the trickery of CSKA's brazillian winger and he doesn't have anywhere near the physical presence to provide adequate cover at centre back. While I would never criticise his commitment or enthusiasm these qualities alone are not enough to benifit a team looking to challenge for the very top european honours.

totally agree with you there!
The rafalution begins.. Happy Days!!
redsforever

Postby bigmick » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:58 pm

Lets be totally honest here, even through rose tinted spectacles. The guy is not up to it. At right-back, centre-half or wherever else he is useless. You don't need to give him time, or at least if you do you are kidding yourself in my view. I think Rafa is brilliant but this signing was a mistake.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsforever » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:05 pm

A good squad player he is, a regular first teamer he isnt! :(
The rafalution begins.. Happy Days!!
redsforever

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion