Barca interest in hamman

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:27 am

Barcelona are reported to be pondering a surprise move for Liverpool midfielder Dietmar Hamann when the transfer window reopens.

The Spanish giants are considering re-entering the transfer market in January to help ease a midfield crisis.

With Edmilson and Thiago Motta long-term injury victims at Camp Nou Barca coach Frank Rijkaard is short of options in midfield.

The Dutchman is keen to bring in a new midfielder in the New Year as he looks to keep Barca on the road to challenging for honours.

Arsenal's Brazilian international Edu is believed to be Barca's top target to alleviate their midfield problems, although the Spanish club have played down their interest in the South American.

Reports in Spain now suggest that Barca are drawing up a list of alternatives should they fail to lure Edu away from Highbury.

Hamann is believed to be among the list of targets to fill the defensive role in their midfield having missed out to Real Madrid for Argentine Javier Mascherano.

The German's future at Liverpool is uncertain following the arrival and impact of summer signing Xabi Alonso.

The former Newcastle man was even dropped from the starting line-up for his side's last game at Chelsea with Senegal international Salif Diao getting the nod ahead of him to start in midfield.

Hamann was strongly linked with a move away from Merseyside during the summer and with his contract coming to an end next summer speculation is sure to intensify.

Liverpool could be prepared to sell him in January rather than risk losing him for nothing in the summer as it would raise more funds for Reds boss Rafa Benitez to spend himself in the transfer window.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:36 am

I hope that Didi stays in Liverpool throughout his contract-period. Even if we risk loosing him for free in the summer. Imo we still need Hamann as an anchorman, specially in matches against strong opponants, as in CL. I believe that if we sign new players in January, a centre mid won`t be top priority, and then we might end up with Igor or Diao as covers for Alonso and Gerrard.

After all, how much would Barca pay for an aging man with 6 months left before leaving for free  ???
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:27 am

I will let them have him and Milan in exchange for Ronaldhino and Sammy Eto.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Adebisi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:39 am

yeh they'd probably only offer a pittance for him in January, but could be hard to convince him to stay if he gets the chance to go to Barca this late in his career
Adebisi

Postby addicted norwegian » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:22 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:I will let them have him and Milan in exchange for Ronaldhino and Sammy Eto.

If Rafa managed to pull a deal like that, he shuld be awarded the Nobel prize of economics :)
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby spud » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:49 pm

He's the next choice behind Stevie and Xabi.  If we let him go and do not buy anyone else then Daio and Biscan come into the frame and IMO they're just not good enough.  Might as well keep him for now unless Barca offer a good price (£3m?- no chance)
spud

Postby Redrider » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:00 pm

If I were Hamman, I would be jumping the first Easyjet out of Speke to Barcelona. What a superb opportunity, for a season or two and what a way to end to your football career.
If I were Rafa and LFC, I would try and convince Hamman to stay and offer Diao to Barca' for free !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby spud » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:06 pm

Redrider wrote:If I were Rafa and LFC, I would try and convince Hamman to stay and offer Diao to Barca' for free !!

What about offering Diao for free with Smicer and Biscan thrown in. :devil:

I was going to suggest Harry Kewell but I've just read he played a blinder for Oz in their recent International so maybe we can get a few bob for him - why can't he do it for us? 

I know, a much debated subject, don't answer this point, it's my own frustration with him!
spud

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:13 pm

to lose Hamman would be a diasaster... always one of our best performers even though he never gets all the headlines
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:52 pm

When our players are linked with another club usually it means that they are playing well like Gerrard said. I think Hamman will stay with us for a couple of years.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:43 pm

To loose hamann would be a disaster, we'll even loose more games
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weezy » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:46 pm

hamman is the only quality centre midfielder we got after stevie and xabi! noway can we afford to lose a player in that position!
weezy

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:49 pm

However if we Rafa could get a player that is better than Hamman from Barca then I don't see the problem with it however Hamman is a true Red.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby weezy » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:50 pm

like who from barce? barce wont sell their first team players and their back up/reserve aint that good either and most are unproven..!
weezy

Postby A.B. » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:53 pm

I don't know, haven't been up to date with the La Liga.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion