Barca interest in hamman

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:03 pm

No doubt that Rooney has talent but so do many other players. Personaly he was priced so high because of financial status at Everton and simply because he's English.

I read that Everton felt that Wayne Rooney an English player should be worth than  a French player; Didier Drogba [24 million].

Buying a player at such high price does not gurantee a profit or success. In business nothing is guranteed. I feel that Rooney was a bit overpriced even though he has talent but so do other players.

Michael Owen did great for the club and his country and we recieved 8 million. If Rooney is worth 30 million then how much should be Gerrard worth?
Last edited by A.B. on Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:05 pm

95% of top flight footballers are overpriced, considering the majority of them can't even use both feet.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby spud » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:05 pm

A.B. wrote:So you think that 30 million isn't a bit too much for a player that has been booked more than he has scored goals?

It's a lot AB I agree, but if you look at others:

Drogba £24M
Carvalho £19.8M
Ferreira £13.2M (what a bargain we got with Josemi £2M :D )
Veron £28M to Man Utd
Heskey £11M
Rebrov £11M
Yorke £13M

and I'm sure a few bob has been splashed on the continent, then some of these are mad!!!!

I wouldn't want us to pay £30M in installments for the blue-nose but I don't think that Man Utd paid over the odds because of Evertons bank balance.  It was driven by competition from Newcastle, contract pressure and timing, IMO.
spud

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:09 pm

spud wrote:I wouldn't want us to pay £30M in installments for the blue-nose but I don't think that Man Utd paid over the odds because of Evertons bank balance.  It was driven by competition from Newcastle, contract pressure and timing, IMO.

exactly.

even fergie admitted that he wouldn't have even bid for rooney had it not been for newcastle's interest in the player. until newcastle made an initial bid, manure didn't think rooney was available.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:09 pm

Nothing to do with Evertons situation as if Man U thought hey theyre skint add on a few more million.  Leeds I rest my case.

Drogba is overpriced but Chelsea were prepared to pay it and they seem happy so money well sepnt for them

Owen had a year left and could have signed a contract in January so in that context 8 million and a player aint that bad if he stayed he would have still been picked and could have gone for free.

Rooney in Fergusons opinion is woth the money and the reason was because other clubs would have been ther or there abouts with that price tag as well
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:12 pm

spud wrote:
A.B. wrote:So you think that 30 million isn't a bit too much for a player that has been booked more than he has scored goals?

It's a lot AB I agree, but if you look at others:

Drogba £24M
Carvalho £19.8M
Ferreira £13.2M (what a bargain we got with Josemi £2M :D )
Veron £28M to Man Utd
Heskey £11M
Rebrov £11M
Yorke £13M

and I'm sure a few bob has been splashed on the continent, then some of these are mad!!!!

I wouldn't want us to pay £30M in installments for the blue-nose but I don't think that Man Utd paid over the odds because of Evertons bank balance.  It was driven by competition from Newcastle, contract pressure and timing, IMO.

True you make a good point. Ferraira comes from a successful Porto team so now if you were Porto would you sell your good defender for 2 million? No you wouldn't but neither would you price him at 30 million.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:16 pm

spud wrote:Veron £28M to Man Utd

:D and i thought heskey was overpriced :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:18 pm

Didn't they say that Veron was going to be a great player for Manchester United, wait but Veron isn't with the Mancs now is he? :D
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby spud » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:23 pm

Veron price :D :D :D

But remember Diouf, Diao and Biscan.  I cant remember the exact numbers? ???

Diouf (11), Daio (5), Biascan (7).......Doh! :angry:

That even makes Heskey look ok?

There's no way that Rafa will throw it away like GH did.  He lost the plot.
spud

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:24 pm

Would be nice to see a decent liverpool player finishing his career at the club . If a club like Barca want him obviously they think he can still do a job .Would have liked to see kept on for another season at least but on the other hand maybe Rafa already has someone in mind to come in .
:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Redrider » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:43 pm

If Barcelona are serious, then I can't see Hamman staying, particularly if they were to match his current salary and offer a two year deal.
He would be a big loss to LFC not only for his own skills, but also as cover for the rest of the midfield, while the Spanish squad settle in and Gerrard recovers from injury.
But for me, the thought of another wet winter in the NW of England leaves me with the comparison of a sunny stroll down the 'Ramblas' on a February afternoon v's being blown down 'Church St' with the used food cartons and chippy wrappers !!
Feels like no contest to me !! ???  ???
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby spud » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:51 pm

It would be a great move for Didi. 

Didi is 3rd choice for me behind Stevie and Xabi. 

He is under-rated, but if you compare him to the midfielders of the top teams in terms of mobility and going forward he struggles and I think Rafa wants more from his midfielders (eventually).

However, after Didi it starts falling away pretty fast....:(
spud

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:53 pm

i still advocate getting scott parker in. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:57 pm

What happens happens, if Hamman wants to move on then so be it but lets focus on Fulham. January is a long way from now.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:10 pm

Fulham Broadway is fairly poor on an October afternoon aswell, the only difference is that it is empty 'Harrods bags' blowin down the St !!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion