Arbeloa - Shut up you divvy

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:06 pm

dawson99 wrote:Is a funny article, tongue in cheek. Shows others that we are relaxed, brilliant if you ask me.

Anyone who takes what he said seriously must be quite slow ni the brain department.

Yes they must be musnt they...?
:;):
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:10 pm

I wish our lads would button it and let the football do the talking for the rest of the season. I'm certain our best bet is to play things down, don't give the papers any headlines, keep it stum, don't give them anything to get fired up about, nothing that whisky nose can pin to the dressing room wall.

ALONSO....

Xabi Alonso has stoked the Premier League title fires by claiming Liverpool have proved they are ‘superior’ to Manchester United.

The Liverpool midfielder also claims United are cracking up, insisting The Reds are ready to pounce as Sir Alex Ferguson’s men show signs of nerves.

Liverpool can go top of the table if they beat Fulham in their next game – live on Setanta, and Alonso believes the Merseysiders have already shown they are the best team in the country.

"Liverpool have demonstrated this season that they are superior to United in the two matches between the teams,” Alonso was quoted as saying in The Daily Star.

"Nobody could dispute that, but now it is a real race for the title. It is not impossible to imagine that we could win all of our next eight matches while United lose two.

"United know what it is like to play under pressure, but they have shown there are some cracks in the last two games, and we will be ready to pounce.

"In our dressing room we are trying to remain calm. We know we need to take 24 points from a possible 24 so we need to be ice-cool about it. That is our challenge.

"Mentally we are prepared to fight for the league and Champions League. United are defending champions and they will be more nervous.

"I feel we deserve it by the way we have already played this season, particularly in the big games."

AND SKRTEL.....

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel reckons Manchester United's breaking point came in the 4-1 home defeat to their arch-rivals.

Speaking ahead of the live Setanta international between England and Slovakia, when he will lock horns with Wayne Rooney again, the imposing centre back is in no doubt that United will be overtaken in the title challenge.

After following up the Old Trafford hammering with a shock 2-0 defeat to Fulham, Sir Alex Ferguson's champions' lead is down to a single point and the Merseysiders can go top with a win, or even a draw, at Craven Cottage in another live Setanta game.

"It's just a pity that we have had the interruption [of an international break] at this time," he said in The Guardian.

"Ideally, we would have liked to carry on with the league because we are in such great form whereas Manchester United have been going through their weakest period of the season.

"We just have to hope that everyone stays healthy and, when we get back together, we can carry on where we left off, winning matches and putting pressure on United.

"Because we do think that 4-1 win might have been their breaking point. Their lead was seven points at the time but now it is only one point so, psychologically, we are in a much better position than before.

"We feel very strongly that we have a good chance to win the title now.

"There are always periods in every season when a team is not as strong as they would like to be and, as I say, this might have been their breaking point.

"Hopefully this will give us the advantage in the end."
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:27 pm

I don't even like the beatles so no problem here.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:25 pm

Scottbot wrote:I wish our lads would button it and let the football do the talking for the rest of the season. I'm certain our best bet is to play things down, don't give the papers any headlines, keep it stum, don't give them anything to get fired up about, nothing that whisky nose can pin to the dressing room wall.

ALONSO....

Xabi Alonso has stoked the Premier League title fires by claiming Liverpool have proved they are ‘superior’ to Manchester United.

The Liverpool midfielder also claims United are cracking up, insisting The Reds are ready to pounce as Sir Alex Ferguson’s men show signs of nerves.

Liverpool can go top of the table if they beat Fulham in their next game – live on Setanta, and Alonso believes the Merseysiders have already shown they are the best team in the country.

"Liverpool have demonstrated this season that they are superior to United in the two matches between the teams,” Alonso was quoted as saying in The Daily Star.

"Nobody could dispute that, but now it is a real race for the title. It is not impossible to imagine that we could win all of our next eight matches while United lose two.

"United know what it is like to play under pressure, but they have shown there are some cracks in the last two games, and we will be ready to pounce.

"In our dressing room we are trying to remain calm. We know we need to take 24 points from a possible 24 so we need to be ice-cool about it. That is our challenge.

"Mentally we are prepared to fight for the league and Champions League. United are defending champions and they will be more nervous.

"I feel we deserve it by the way we have already played this season, particularly in the big games."

AND SKRTEL.....

Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel reckons Manchester United's breaking point came in the 4-1 home defeat to their arch-rivals.

Speaking ahead of the live Setanta international between England and Slovakia, when he will lock horns with Wayne Rooney again, the imposing centre back is in no doubt that United will be overtaken in the title challenge.

After following up the Old Trafford hammering with a shock 2-0 defeat to Fulham, Sir Alex Ferguson's champions' lead is down to a single point and the Merseysiders can go top with a win, or even a draw, at Craven Cottage in another live Setanta game.

"It's just a pity that we have had the interruption [of an international break] at this time," he said in The Guardian.

"Ideally, we would have liked to carry on with the league because we are in such great form whereas Manchester United have been going through their weakest period of the season.

"We just have to hope that everyone stays healthy and, when we get back together, we can carry on where we left off, winning matches and putting pressure on United.

"Because we do think that 4-1 win might have been their breaking point. Their lead was seven points at the time but now it is only one point so, psychologically, we are in a much better position than before.

"We feel very strongly that we have a good chance to win the title now.

"There are always periods in every season when a team is not as strong as they would like to be and, as I say, this might have been their breaking point.

"Hopefully this will give us the advantage in the end."

This is the exactly the type of stuff that makes me nervous
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby RedBlood » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:26 pm

dawson99 wrote:Is a funny article, tongue in cheek. Shows others that we are relaxed, brilliant if you ask me.

Anyone who takes what he said seriously must be quite slow ni the brain department.

:nod  was just about to write something very simalar
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:31 pm

In the mirror today
Brian Reade echoing the sentiments of those concerned about the comments from Arbeloa and Alonso...
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:39 pm

Sir Roger wrote:In the mirror today
Brian Reade echoing the sentiments of those concerned about the comments from Arbeloa and Alonso...

Here is the link for that article:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news....1233184
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:48 pm

Why not have belief, a little cockiness? Shows we are ready to stand up and be counted.

Arsene is still say Gooners can win the title so what we're saying isn't total madness
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:04 pm

dawson99 wrote:Why not have belief, a little cockiness? Shows we are ready to stand up and be counted.

Arsene is still say Gooners can win the title so what we're saying isn't total madness

Belief and a little cockiness is fine
But I personally dont like players saying too much. The temptation when a microphone is shoved under your nose and a reporter wants a good headline must be hard not to give in to. But I agree with Reade. Keep it short and cliched. Next game is important etc. How many times have we seen the likes of the mancs shouting their mouths off and ending up with their foot in it?
When weve won it, take the pis.s out of them all you want.
Until then: "let the football do the talking..."
:)
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Alonso14 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:09 pm

Does anyone not think that Rafa has told them to go out and make a few comments to add some pressure?

Rafa knows how to use the press to his advantage.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Alonso14 wrote:Does anyone not think that Rafa has told them to go out and make a few comments to add some pressure?

Probably
Because if he didnt want them to talk they wouldnt
I just think its enough now and they shouldnt be filling the journalists notebooks and giving the mancs to shove it down our throats the way we did to them
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Alonso14 wrote:Does anyone not think that Rafa has told them to go out and make a few comments to add some pressure?

I just think the players are saying normal things, not too cocky, but the articles are giving it too much importance.

Take Alonso's sentences. The most cocky thing he said is that we were superior to Manchester in both games, which is a fact.

It's the journo, just before those quotes who uses the expression "cracking up". And if you do this before the quotes, you give those quotes another meaning.

About your question, I don't think they have instructions from Rafa, to be honest. I think the journos see we're getting closer to Manchester, so they ask questions about Manchester and the title. If a player is asked about if he feels it's possible to win the league, what is he supposed to answer? either he lies, or he tells his feelings. And it's perfectly possible Manchester could fail. Saying "I don't think Manchester will fail in any of the games" wouldn't be probably true. And I don't think it would make them overconfident.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Big Niall wrote:I don't even like the beatles so no problem here.

:no  :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:47 am

Sabre wrote:I just think the players are saying normal things, not too cocky, but the articles are giving it too much importance.

Take Alonso's sentences. The most cocky thing he said is that we were superior to Manchester in both games, which is a fact.

It's the journo, just before those quotes who uses the expression "cracking up". And if you do this before the quotes, you give those quotes another meaning.

Agree on that, they haven't really said a great deal but players, managers and fans are all equally aware that the press will take any quote and it spin it to their advantage. I'd just like to see all of our guys staying ultra humble, pointing out that the title is the mancs to lose and we'd rather be in their position.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:30 am

Scottbot wrote:
Sabre wrote:I just think the players are saying normal things, not too cocky, but the articles are giving it too much importance.

Agree on that, they haven't really said a great deal but players, managers and fans are all equally aware that the press will take any quote and it spin it to their advantage. I'd just like to see all of our guys staying ultra humble, pointing out that the title is the mancs to lose and we'd rather be in their position.

spot on
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion