Thoughts on arbeloa - Is he good enough & how important is he?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby DanAn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:41 am

One thing I have notice over the last few weeks is how important Arbeloa is. As much as I love Carra, he's no fullback and since Arbeloa's hamstring injury IMO we've been significantly less potent down the right side, while our opposition have really exploited us in that area when attacking.

My question is how important do you think he is? and is he good enough to be a permanent starting player in a league tittle winning team?

In my opinion he is probably our most important player behind Gerrard, Torres and Riena. Big call I know, we have better players no doubt, but while others can be covered the alternative to Arbeloa is simply not good enough.

I had doubts about him being a starting rightback in summer but I have to say I am very happy with his performance season to date and I think he has proven himself to be one of the top rightbacks in the league this year. He impressed to the point I think we can win the league with him at RB and we just decent cover in case of his absence going forward.

What do others think?
DanAn

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:05 am

DanAn wrote:In my opinion he is probably our most important player behind Gerrard, Torres and Riena.

What do others think?

I think that that is a crazy statement. Champions league final. Your given a choice, Carra can be fit for this one or you can have Arbeloa? You go for Arbeloa? ?????

He's a good player, he's played well this season and I would also rather have him at Full-back (especially against the smaller sides) than Carra but let's not go overboard!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby club_Levis » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:16 am

I agree with Aann..We have missed Arbeloa dearly.. He is simply a better right back than Cara...
club_Levis

Postby andy_g » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:26 am

he's our best right back, a decent player and he seems to be improving at a slow but steady rate. he's also without a doubt our most important player after gerrard, reina and torres... but also after alonso, reira, carragher, and probably a couple of others.

looking forward to seeing him back where he should be and carra back where he should be.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:36 am

Good player but its the lack of cover that has increased his importance. Carra hasn't been at his best covering for him, and hopefully we will bring either Darby in or get someone in next time Arbeloa isn't available. Maybe even try Degan if he could stay fit long enough.
account deleted by request

Postby The_Rock » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:56 am

Best right-back we have...... but that isn't saying much 
... when his 1st team competitor is degen.

The faster arbeloa comes back the better.. Don't want to see carra play RB any longer. He is one of the best CB...but is really pretty average as a rightback.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:09 am

The_Rock wrote:Best right-back we have...... but that isn't saying much 
... when his 1st team competitor is degen.

The faster arbeloa comes back the better.. Don't want to see carra play RB any longer. He is one of the best CB...but is really pretty average as a rightback.

Agree with the second part and think Arbeloa is a great player for us andI#d lvoe to see him back ASAP
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:11 am

Scottbot wrote:
DanAn wrote:In my opinion he is probably our most important player behind Gerrard, Torres and Riena.

What do others think?

I think that that is a crazy statement. Champions league final. Your given a choice, Carra can be fit for this one or you can have Arbeloa? You go for Arbeloa? ?????

He's a good player, he's played well this season and I would also rather have him at Full-back (especially against the smaller sides) than Carra but let's not go overboard!

to play right back ?

Arbeloa all day every day mate.

Love Cara - would gladly give him a wa.nk with my ar.se cheeks but he is not good enough to play right back anymore.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DanAn » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:36 am

Scottbot wrote:

What do others think?

That's just it is it really that crazy. Champion league final would your rather a back four of:

1) Aurelio Agger Skrttel Carra
or
2) Aurelio Agger Skrttel Arbeloa
or
3)Aurelio Skrttel Carra Darby

I know I'd rather option 2) which means until we get better cover at RB he's more important.

Note: I think Carra is a much much better player. But that's all together different.

Also nobody has answered the second question. Are you happy for him to be the starting FB in seasons to come or do you think we need a better player?
DanAn

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:16 pm

Said exactly the same in the aftermath of the Everton game.

I think we're really miss Arbeloa as he plays an important role getting up and down the right flank allowing Kuyt to move infield. With him out we're left with a right back who holds his position for most of the game and a right midfielder who wants to cut inside. It's really limited our attacking play.

I love Carra to bit and he'll never let anybody down but he's never a fullback in a million years.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:22 pm

Scottbot wrote:

What do others think?

I'm going to agree with Scott here.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:23 pm

Arbeloa doesn't get the credit he deserves, he goes unnoticed a lot of the time and thats because he does his job effectively and is also a cool full back who doesn't panick when he has the ball, or shape up to hit a pass half an hour before he does.
roberto green

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:43 pm

DanAn wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

What do others think?

That's just it is it really that crazy. Champion league final would your rather a back four of:

1) Aurelio Agger Skrttel Carra
or
2) Aurelio Agger Skrttel Arbeloa
or
3)Aurelio Skrttel Carra Darby

I know I'd rather option 2) which means until we get better cover at RB he's more important.

Note: I think Carra is a much much better player. But that's all together different.

Also nobody has answered the second question. Are you happy for him to be the starting FB in seasons to come or do you think we need a better player?

:D

Why not option 4? Aurelio Agger (or Skrtel) Carra Arbeloa   ???

He's definitely a better option than Carra at RB when fit and he can be a very useful player for us.  I do think he has limitations and that, at the very least, he needs some proper competition for the shirt and, at most, needs to be sat down for someone who offers a bit more going forward while still able to shut up shop defensively.  Of course, the same can be said at LB as well, with Dossena not up to it and Aurelio and Insua both in the Arbeloa category of solidly good not spectacular.  Given our difficulty breaking teams down and giving the fact that we have few natural wingers at the club, our fullbacks become much more important to our attack and I think it's an area we should be looking to improve in the medium term.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:53 pm

he's improved alott going forward this season and hes always solid defensively... id agree with the part about him becoming one of our more imprtant players... he sees alot of the ball in the final third but that imo is down to limitations we ave at the right wing spot..

carragher is an average fullback at best... add to that that hes needed in the middle now more than ever and we seem pretty desperate to have arbeloa back... Skrtel and Agger are still not good enough imo.. both are good defenders with plenty of potential but neither one of them is top class yet... Skrtel the better of the two imo but still nowhere as good as Hyypia or Carra yet...

We should atleast be looking to sign 1 topclass fullback after we sort out the right wing problem imo because as things stand, the 2 fullbacks we have, regardless of who is played dont offer much going forward...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:55 pm

I don't think he is an excellent footballer, his crosses are not that good that most of them usually hit the defender when he tries to whip one. He has a bit of a heavy touch and doesn't overlap as much. His passes are ok, sometimes he misplaces them sometimes they come out really good. However, he is a very good defender, can tackle and can man mark really well, but he isn't dominant in the air and some players in the league win the header when they challenge him.

He is a good player, very solid, very consistent, but not as good as some people think he is.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion