Alonso and gerrard - The reason for our dip in form

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Poolinc. » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:24 pm

Houllier=LFC wrote:Maybe we can try playing Garcia as striker, hes the only poacher in the team.

Here! Here! Well said! I agree 100%!
Poolinc.

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:24 pm

bigmick wrote:I personally don't think you need to be a master tactician to spot what is wrong with our team at the moment and with the greatest respect, while Gerrard and Alonso not playing to their very best maybe a symptom, it's certainly not the cause of our woes.
I'm not going to be particularly original here but our problems stem from the fact that we can't score goals. That, and only that is the problem. All the other component parts of the team which are beginning to creak are as a direct result of the fact that we don't score when we should.
Crouch's header today was a poor attempt at a fairly basic skill. The whole motion cloaked in anxiety, no timing at all as he flexed his neck muscles an age before the ball arrived. Misses in a manner such as that spur on the opposition and deflate our team. It's hard to work the ball into a wide area and pick out a cross. It takes effort, imagination and skill. Crouch's circular movement away from the ball and then back in towards the penalty spot was good, and almost certainly practised regularly. That he made such a poor attempt at the final action is bound to make the players say "FFS" under heir breath. It's the most natural reaction. Similarly the Arsenal players can't help but think "this games won as they aint gonna score". It was an awful attempt from the big man.
Gradually our confidence and belief has slipped away like sand through the fingers, to be replaced by hurried passes and snatched first touches. Where once the defence looked calm and assured there is an air of desperation, a knowledge that one mistake probably means game over as we won't be able to pull the game back. Similarly teams are able to defend against us with ease and confidence, the litany of long punts and lack of pace and/or channel balls to turn the defence around allowing them to predict where the ball will land and cover accordingly. Not for the opposition the anxiety of mistakes, they know they will rarely be punished even if a Liverpool striker gets free.
Sorry mate in a nutshell that is the problem for me, nothing else. Solve that and you solve the other problems. My suspicion is that if we had Thierry Henri, we would defend better and pass it better. Also, steven Gerrard and Xabi Alonso would play better too. We'd probably be an absolutely cracking side aswell.

agree with you bigmick, Crouch needs to work on his muscles so he can head the ball better, it was an awful attempt, if it was jan koller it would have got in, but also the service he got wasn't alot.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby welsh wizzard » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:25 pm

Sell Alonso he's not worthy.....Bring back Diao.
welsh wizzard
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:26 pm

On the question of Garcia, I have said a hundred times that he will always score goals and he will. He is a natural goalscorer in direct contrast to some of our other players. His starting position was next to Crouch when Gerrard had his shot, one of them stood open mouthed as the ball bounced up and one of them attacked it at pace and outjumped the defenders. For anticipation and intelligence it was very similar to his goal against them at Anfield.
That said, the fact that he is a natural goalscorer means exactly that. Scoring goals to him comes naturally and he can do it regardless of how well he is playing at the time. He will always score goals even on occasions like today, when of course he was absolutely awful from the first minute to the last.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:28 pm

welsh wizzard wrote:Sell Alonso he's not worthy.....Bring back Diao.

have you been drinking mate?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby romliv » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:34 pm

Gerrard Decisive :no
What an unlucky week! 0-2 ; 1-2 ;and with a terrible bad luck!
I don't know if someone can explain to me : Why playing all these long balls to Crouch!!!can you tell me the number of wrong pass to crouch? they are too many and when you play Arsenal or Benfica... you should put the ball in the pitch and no in the air otherwise you will look too easy!I love this team but after these two games i feel that LFC goes in the powerlessness and that our LFC is going on one's way of mediocrity; to finish ,i think that when it comes from another one we can forget it but from Gerrard it won't be easy to do it  :no
when we don't have what we love, we must love what we have!
romliv

Postby GerrardisKing » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:50 pm

welsh wizzard wrote:Sell Alonso he's not worthy.....Bring back Diao.

I know with that comment your just looking for a response,come on mate that`s crazy
GerrardisKing

Postby GerrardisKing » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:56 pm

I don`t think they have been at there best of late but you need others to stand up and be counted,they can`t play well all the time.
GerrardisKing

Postby Flashard » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:05 pm

Hi to you all i have just joined today after watching the
Arsenal v Liverpool game.

Yep i do agree i think the lads are starting to look a wee bit tired but this was always going to be tough, alot is being made of the strike force so pressure is on the lads on that front and Arsenal had just come of a fantastic result in the week. Yes i was jumping for joy when we equalised but i just had the feeling that it was going to be Arsenal's day. i was more alarmed at Carra, I thought he looked for the first time in a while very heavy legged. Anyway heads up we are still improving and after last season lets not worry to much things are getting brighter.

:rasp  :rasp

Flashard
Flashard

Postby mkingdom » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:51 pm

Crouch needs a long rest..so the team can remember how to pass it on the ground again.

Start with Robbie and Garcia up front for a while...see how they do.
mkingdom

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:07 pm

7_Kewell wrote:Have I been the only one to notice this?  For the last few weeks now Alonso and Gerrard have been well off form and I think today has shown just how far they have dropped.  I don’t mean to say they have become bad players, both are class, but their drop in form has affected our entire team.  Their passing is off, concentration off and their overall awareness of off.  Is it tiredness? 

I hope they pick it up soon because they're the Engine room for LFC and without these lads our season could fall apart.

Yes there form has dipped, that must mean they're no longer class footballers, just average ones.

Form, form, form. Its what makes a player you know. :D
115-1073096938

Postby zarababe » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:20 pm

Ciggy wrote:Something about the fact they have played like 50 games this season may have something to do with it dont ya think? Its an idea like.

:D lol .. I think yes
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:39 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:Have I been the only one to notice this?  For the last few weeks now Alonso and Gerrard have been well off form and I think today has shown just how far they have dropped.  I don’t mean to say they have become bad players, both are class, but their drop in form has affected our entire team.  Their passing is off, concentration off and their overall awareness of off.  Is it tiredness? 

I hope they pick it up soon because they're the Engine room for LFC and without these lads our season could fall apart.

Yes there form has dipped, that must mean they're no longer class footballers, just average ones.

Form, form, form. Its what makes a player you know. :D

if you read my post, you'll see i openly admit they are class players....you still claiming Fowler is going to be a 20 goal a season striker?  :laugh:
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:45 pm

i agree.

gerrard and alonso are clearly to blame. get rid of them both and bring back cheyrou and diao :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:49 pm

stmichael wrote:i agree.

gerrard and alonso are clearly to blame. get rid of them both and bring back cheyrou and diao :angry:

:bowdown
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion