Drop alonso - If we're picking a team on form

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:16 pm

Alanay wrote:the problem is we have too many good players.

i'd hardly call that a problem. if only we had the same problems upfront as the midfield, we'd be well sorted.

the fact of the matter is, gerrard also offers more flexibility in the side. while you know that he'll be bombing down midfield, you don't really feel insecure defense-wise. you know he has enough in his tank to run back and defend. he also can play in a variety of positions, something the other 2 cannot do.

for what it's worth, i don't think xabi will start the game on saturday, but i expect him to be back in for the haifa game on tuesday.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:21 pm

to play momo pennant gerrard alonso and gonzalez we could play a 3-5-2 prehaps ???
Kopite-Jud

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:27 pm

Kopite-Jud wrote:to play momo pennant gerrard alonso and gonzalez we could play a 3-5-2 prehaps ???

Personally I dont like the three at the back, but thats my problem. The only problem with those five is that Pennant and Gonzo will effectivly be playing as wing backs, which I dont think is the strongest part of there game.
66-1112520797

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:47 pm

I read the title and then thought I should skip past the :censored: and tell you, this is pointless. Drop Alonso, are you off your rocker? I'd happen to think so, why would you want to drop a player who creates play, sprays passes across the pitch and helps open up play. It's total madness. If he's tired then sure rest him, if he's injured then replace him, but to drop him to accomdate other players is laughable.
48-1119859832

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:46 pm

0asis wrote:I read the title and then thought I should skip past the **** and tell you, this is pointless. Drop Alonso, are you off your rocker? I'd happen to think so, why would you want to drop a player who creates play, sprays passes across the pitch and helps open up play. It's total madness. If he's tired then sure rest him, if he's injured then replace him, but to drop him to accomdate other players is laughable.

Because he's out of form and short of fitness, and as a result isn't creating play, spraying passes across the pitch or helping open up play.

If he plays at the weekend and has a blinder, then hands up, I've called it wrong and he's just had a fluke couple of bad games back to back. If he plays and is similarly poor, then feel free to come back and reiterate how off my rocker I am to even contemplate dropping his royal highness.

Face it, we've got an excellent squad, and not all of them are going to get into the starting 11 every week. Get used to the fact that nobody's undroppable.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:59 pm

He's lacking match sharpness that's all, I don't see the point for dropping him, if anything he should be played against Sheff Utd and Maccabi Hafia to get try and get him much sharper. I think it's a case of people expecting too much from a player, that's the trouble when a player like Alonso is held in high regard. Alonso will have some bad days, everyone does and even Gerrard hasn't looked overally impressive either, but I don't see anyone saying he should be dropped. Also don't try and patronise me, I know full well that nobody is undroppable, but dropping a player after what two "by his standards" poor games will not do wonders for his confidence or help him in any way shape or form.

No disrespect to Sheff Utd and Maccabi, they aren't the two greatest teams in the world, so we can afford to play a sub-standard Alonso.

Calling for his head after two bad games, is rather fickle in all honesty.
48-1119859832

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:28 pm

Jesus christ, read the initial post, I'm suggesting he be benched for one game. How is that fickle? Sissoko is bang in form, Gerrard looked sharper last weekend than last week, and we don't need 3 central midfielders.

Alonso's been the least effective of the three in recent weeks, so I think Rafa should look at that and pick his first 11 based on form. The first month's fixtures killed our title chances last season, and picking a player out of form when we've got two others that are in good nick is f*cking madness. Sheff Utd may not be the best team in the world, but picking tired players for the middle of the park is just asking for trouble.

As I've said, easily twice or three times now, in a week or two he'll be flying. He isn't now, and so Rafa should start him from the bench, make sure the game's killed, and then think about giving him a run out. The objective on Saturday is not to give unfit players time on the pitch, it's all about getting three points. If we can do both, bonus, but we have to get our priorities right.
ivor_the_injun

Postby *_Ruthless_* » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:39 pm

You cant drop a fully fit Alonso thats just facts .. Sissoko is a warrior that gives 100% every game guys got amazing energy levels , But Alonso is just pure class he reads the game and he is probally the best passer of the ball in the premiership!

Good we have 3 great options in the middle ... But its still Alonso and Gerrard for me!
*_Ruthless_*

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:45 pm

*_Ruthless_* wrote:You cant drop a fully fit Alonso thats just facts ..

There's the rub - he doesn't look fully fit to me.
ivor_the_injun

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:06 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:

I think most of the Liverpool squad are going to have to get used to being "rested" this season. Our squad is looking very strong ,with competiton for places in almost every position. I think we will see more rotation and a few different formations being used this season.
          As I said in my previous post I would prefer to play Alonso into fitness and form but if he is out of sorts from the world cup or carrying a bit of a knock I see no problems in resting him. Its going to a long season (hopefully with good cup runs) and I am sure most will get enough games to keep them happy and Alonso will play more than most.
account deleted by request

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:10 pm

s@int wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:

I think most of the Liverpool squad are going to have to get used to being "rested" this season. Our squad is looking very strong ,with competiton for places in almost every position. I think we will see more rotation and a few different formations being used this season.
          As I said in my previous post I would prefer to play Alonso into fitness and form but if he is out of sorts from the world cup or carrying a bit of a knock I see no problems in resting him. Its going to a long season (hopefully with good cup runs) and I am sure most will get enough games to keep them happy and Alonso will play more than most.

Why would you choose to rest players like Sissoko, Gerrard, Carragher and Alonso? If they are injured, tired or suspended then fair enough, that's can't be helped but why would you key players who are going to be important. We aren't Chelsea, ya know, we can't just offer a player 90k a week to sit on the bench and we don't have £300million to buy top of the range reserves.

:no
48-1119859832

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:58 pm

I'm sorry, but you're in f*cking cuckooland mate.

We've suffered in recent seasons because we haven't had strength in depth to get us through incredibly long fixture lists, and when injuries have hit, we've had to turn to the Mellors, the Biscans and the Traores.

Now, we've got a very impressive looking second XI to turn to, almost all of whom are capable of making the starting lineup on merit.

In the past we've seen much the same starting lineup go for the majority of the season, and in terms of fatigue and injuries we've paid the price for that. Now we have options, and I am in no doubt that Rafa will use them.

Alonso, Carragher, Gerrard and Sissoko will not be ever-present this season. Not because they don't deserve to be in the starting lineup, but simply because we can't win the league without giving them a rest at some stage. To return to the point of this thread, Alonso looks like he needs training more than he needs time on the pitch right now. Ideally he'd get both, but he shouldn't get the latter if it's going to be to the detriment of the team.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 48-1119859832 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:22 pm

[quote="ivor_the_injun"][/quote]
I disgree entirely, Alonso, Gerrard, Reina, Sissoko, Carragher and Finnan should not be dropped unless injured, suspended or deeply tired. We can't afford to leave key players on the bench whilst we play Zenden and Kromkamp.
48-1119859832

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:25 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:I'm sorry, but you're in f*cking cuckooland mate.

We've suffered in recent seasons because we haven't had strength in depth to get us through incredibly long fixture lists, and when injuries have hit, we've had to turn to the Mellors, the Biscans and the Traores.

Now, we've got a very impressive looking second XI to turn to, almost all of whom are capable of making the starting lineup on merit.

In the past we've seen much the same starting lineup go for the majority of the season, and in terms of fatigue and injuries we've paid the price for that. Now we have options, and I am in no doubt that Rafa will use them.

Alonso, Carragher, Gerrard and Sissoko will not be ever-present this season. Not because they don't deserve to be in the starting lineup, but simply because we can't win the league without giving them a rest at some stage. To return to the point of this thread, Alonso looks like he needs training more than he needs time on the pitch right now. Ideally he'd get both, but he shouldn't get the latter if it's going to be to the detriment of the team.

:nod
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:45 am

I read the title and then thought I should skip past the  and tell you, this is pointless.

Typical....

If you actually read the opening post, you'd have realised it wasnt pointless. Although I dont agree with droppping Alonso for the FIRST game, Ivor still has a valid point to discuss.

The only thing that is pointless, is your posting in this thread. Especially if you cant be @rsed reading it  :no
66-1112520797

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion