4 teams too much for cl

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:51 pm

:D Yes. I think Mike had better look at his figures again.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:52 pm

Maybe another way of putting it is that you can lose 2 matches in a row (theoretically three) in the new format of the Champions League and still qualify whereas lose 2 matches in the old system (2 matches in the same fixture....not in a row) and you would be out.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 109-1105722616 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:53 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:Maybe another way of putting it is that you can lose 2 matches in a row (theoretically three) in the new format of the Champions League and still qualify whereas lose 2 matches in the old system (2 matches in the same fixture....not in a row) and you would be out.

you've hit the nail on the head there
109-1105722616

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:17 pm

I really like the champions league as it is at the moment. Its good because it involves many teams from countries where football is big (England, Spain, Italy etc) not just the top team. This way it appeals to more people in those countries.

I don't agree with the argument that involving the teams that are 2nd-4th has devalued it. I mean it will always be more appealing to watch a game between the 4th placed team in Italy against the 4th placed team in Spain than say the Champions of Spain playing the champions of Denmark. At the end of the day these are the best teams in Europe and its proven when all 4 English teams make the final stages.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby maximus » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:02 pm

I think the tournament in principle is great, what I think people have a problem with is what it is called. It is NOT the 'champions' league, why don't they call it just the plain old European Cup or European Premier League?
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby azriahmad » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:23 am

Since they expanded the CL to include more teams por the purpose of milking more money in 1998-99 (if I am not mistaken), the CL is already devalued.

In fact, the 1999 final was contested by 2 teams, manure and Bayern Munich, who finished SECOND in their respective leagues - it was not even a final between the Champions of England and Germany. For the powers that be, the CL needs to be expanded as there are 2 at least top/galmour teams in each major league - AC Milan and Juventus, Real Madrid and Barca (and perhaps another team), Bayern Munich and another German team (the second glamour team always change), manure and Arsenal and now Chelski - which are able to draw large crowds and tv interest.

However, the format needs to be changed so that we don't get a repeat of 2 Italian teams shutting out each other with a dour game like the Juve-AC Milan final in 2003.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:53 am

The European cup has gradually evolved into the European League. UEFA could and should remove the 'Champions' bit of the title but there is no chance of that because it is now a very strong brand. The UEFA Cup which used to be such a glamorous trophy has now been utterly devalued and we are seeing this turn into European League B this season.
Must admit, i don't understand why they did away with the Cup winners Cup. I always liked the way it threw up giants vs minnows ties.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:26 am

Previously, the European Cup became way too predictable and they needed more galmour to accommodate most of the big clubs who may miss out on the competition due to not being the champs in their native leagues.

The UEFA Cup usually offers the most atractive games as the teams involved generally become stronger/more competitive (after making progress in their own league) in the following season after they qualified for this competition and also play more adventurosly. Games like Real Madrid thrashing Anderlect 6-0 after overcoming a 0-3 first leg deficit in 1985, Spurs' see-saw battle with Anderlect in 1984 final game etc, was more likely to exist in the UEFA Cup then the other 2.

The Cup Winners' Cup was the least attractive as the dominant teams in leagues other than England has on many occassions won the double domestically and only the cup runners' up get to compete here. The unpopularity was translated in low crowds.

The geniuses at UEFA decided to create a premium competition for the top clubs, the CL, and expand the format to include runners-up and for some of the major leagues, 3rd and 4th placed teams while the UEFA Cup catered for the rest.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:53 pm

I don't believe in tradition and think of a new way is better then it should be done.

Any cup competition can be won by a lucky team but a league is won by the best team.

I would like to see a European league. I wouln't mind if the English champions opted out of the Coca Cola cup and maybe the Fa cup so they could compete.

The top clubs (unsure if just one from each country) could all play mid week games nearly every week. Maybe even two or three divisions with promotion /relegation. If the English champtions come last in their group then the English champions get relegated (its a bit unfair on the following years english champions but) but it means that the club is representing its country.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:57 pm

I love the Champions League
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:33 pm

one things for sure, not a single member of this forum will be complaining if we win the champions league this season without being the champions.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion