4 teams too much for cl

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:01 pm

agree with everything said here. when manure stole the trophy in 99, they and munich weren't even champions of their own domestic leagues the previous season.

the current format is merely encouraging too many teams to "settle" for mediocrity. after our debacle at burnley, some people on this board were saying that they weren't that bothered as long as we finished 4th.

football has changed for the worse. :(
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:03 pm

marklfc wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:How about a proper European league . For example ,at the end of next season the top clubs in lets say the fifeteen best european leagues go into a european champions league they would be joined by 4 top clubs from the less competitive leagues (wales ,ireland ,estonia etc) who qualify thru a play off against each other .At the end of the 1st euro season the champions (and they would be true euro champs  :) ) remain in place whilst the remaining clubs return to their respective national leagues to be replaced for the 2nd season in the euro league by the new winners of the national prem leagues .
Does that make sense ? and would it work ?
:)

rubbish idea.

Well thanx for your usual in depth analysis and response .

As it was to deep for me could you explain why you think it's a rubbish idea .  ???

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:04 pm

It's all about the money honey
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:04 pm

kazza wrote:They obviously rate the Premiership enough to give them 4 spots.

and rightly so because they're all still left in :p  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:05 pm

woof woof ! wrote:How about a proper European league . For example ,at the end of next season the top clubs in lets say the fifeteen best european leagues go into a european champions league they would be joined by 4 top clubs from the less competitive leagues (wales ,ireland ,estonia etc) who qualify thru a play off against each other .At the end of the 1st euro season the champions (and they would be true euro champs  :) ) remain in place whilst the remaining clubs return to their respective national leagues to be replaced for the 2nd season in the euro league by the new winners of the national prem leagues .
Does that make sense ? and would it work ?
:)

I see what your getting at but would like to see stronger leagues throughout first and IMO this will only happen with the merging of countries outside of the big three  :)
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:08 pm

even if it's not just for champions, they have to get rid of the cr@p group stages and go back to the original format of a straight two legged knockout. obviously the domestic champions would be seeded first.

at the moment, you've got teams losing three matches  in a row and still qualifying. newcastle were the prime example of this.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 109-1105722616 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:13 pm

well said, and that way the competition becomes more special, and you dont get teams winning the group with a game remaining and then fielding a wek team, resting their star players and ruining the hopes of other teams who are relying on them to produce the goods
109-1105722616

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:14 pm

taff wrote:I see what your getting at but would like to see stronger leagues throughout first and IMO this will only happen with the merging of countries outside of the big three  :)

Fair enough , I wasn't trying to propose a euro super league only a method were the actual champions of each country could compete ,but I get your point , there would be some poor teams in there.

(Woof aka Wily Coyote goes back to drawing board   :D )
Last edited by woof woof ! on Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:16 pm

The ACME league  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:18 pm

taff wrote:The ACME league  :D

got a nice ring to it that :D
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:18 pm

:D
RoadRunners fc (home ground Ranfield )  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:32 pm

woof woof ! wrote:

RoadRunners fc (home ground Ranfield )  :D

Refering to Rugby, although different sport and a tenuous link, lots of clubs have merged and are now operating a pyramid system to compete at the highest level

For example if there was an Atlantic League say Scotland, Portugal and Holland and hypothetically Wales had say Cardiff and Wrexham (sorry to the Jacks  :p  :angry: ) then the Welsh League would be the feeder system with six clubs being nursery grounds for the big ones, an dthe whole system from schools upwards is geared to improving our two main clubs.

England Spain and Italy dont need this but us smaller countries have to organise a lot better to enable us to be more competitive at the highest levels
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:22 pm

sorry i havent read all the posts, havent had time, but have read the majority of them, and i must say i dont agree with any of you. this might sound strange coming from Jim the "traditionalist" as i've been called (i dont reckon i am by the way) but i think the Champions League is a great competition.

i like everything about it, i love it when its on, hate waiting for the next bit of action. i dont just mean when Liverpool are in it either. i would go as far as to say its the best football competition in the World. does anyone think otherwise? please dont say you think the World Cup is better. the fact that the World Cup is a major event crammed into 1 month makes it more attractive, but the standard of footy in general is not as good as Champions League, you get a lot of sh*t in the World Cup. Put it this way, Chelsea are better than England. need i say more? i think you know what i'm getting at. Club sides are better than the country sides they represent. with the exception of teams like Brazil and some others, there are better teams in the Champions League. If the Champions League was a major event in the summer when nothing else is on, played over the space of a month, just like the world cup is, it would seem better again.
The fact its spaced over a whole season gives it a feeling that its not a competition in the same mould as the World Cup, not as much of an event is made of it for this reason.

My main point though is that the football is well better, and as me and the lads say, "Champions League goals are always the best goals."

i'm for it, i think its boss.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby maximus » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:48 pm

stmichael wrote:at the moment, you've got teams losing two or three of their group matches and still qualifying.

So whats the difference between that and the old format of a two legged tie?? you could lose the first leg 1-0 and win the next leg 2-0, In theory then in say 8 or 9 rounds, you could lose 8 matches and still win the tournament   :D
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby 109-1105722616 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:50 pm

maximus wrote:
stmichael wrote:at the moment, you've got teams losing two or three of their group matches and still qualifying.

So whats the difference between that and the old format of a two legged tie?? you could lose the first leg 1-0 and win the next leg 2-0, In theory then in say 8 or 9 rounds, you could lose 8 matches and still win the tournament   :D

it makes it more exciting
109-1105722616

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion