What computer setup do you have?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:41 pm

Branded computers vary in quality. Generally the electonic parts are built by third parties (Samsung, DFI, AMD, Intel, ATI or NVidia) and all the likes of Dell etc do is supply their own monitor, power supply and casing.

The build quality of casings can be very poor, and power supplies inadequate if you try to add more parts down the line.

I would stear well clear of Packard Bell as that company is notorious for cutting corners and having pi.ss poor build quality.

The best assembled and best spec'd PCs are usually those of Alienware (now owned by Dell) which are superbly made and have incredible parts, albeit at a premium price.

If you want a PC to use Office, surf the net or play a game no more taxing than Minesweeper or Solataire, then you simply cannot go wrong with a below €500 Dell, as it will have all you ever need. If, however, you want to use your PC for video and audio decoding, 3d work such as CAD, web authoring and most punishing of all, high end gaming, then even Dell's high end XPS systems are limited, and you'll really need to go for an Alienware. However, if you are that much into computers to want such a system, you'll probably try your hand at making it yourself. :;):
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:54 pm

Right here goes, i've got -

HP pavillion f1723
Intel Pentium 4
3.0GHz
512MB DDR
80 GB Hard drive
DVD drive
HP DVD writer
+rw 8x double layer
NVIDIA GeForce
FX 5200 128 mb video memory
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Works Suite 2004
V92-READY MODEM (56K)
IEEE 1394 Firewire interface
9-1 memory card reader
Wireless keyboard and mouse.
finito , now can you tell me was it worth the dosh or not.

oh and a 3 in 1 hp printer thingy.
Cost approx £1600 OVER 3 YRS  from the missuses company buy a computer offer  jobby.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:09 pm

JBG wrote:Branded computers vary in quality. Generally the electonic parts are built by third parties (Samsung, DFI, AMD, Intel, ATI or NVidia) and all the likes of Dell etc do is supply their own monitor, power supply and casing.

The build quality of casings can be very poor, and power supplies inadequate if you try to add more parts down the line.

I would stear well clear of Packard Bell as that company is notorious for cutting corners and having pi.ss poor build quality.

The best assembled and best spec'd PCs are usually those of Alienware (now owned by Dell) which are superbly made and have incredible parts, albeit at a premium price.

If you want a PC to use Office, surf the net or play a game no more taxing than Minesweeper or Solataire, then you simply cannot go wrong with a below €500 Dell, as it will have all you ever need. If, however, you want to use your PC for video and audio decoding, 3d work such as CAD, web authoring and most punishing of all, high end gaming, then even Dell's high end XPS systems are limited, and you'll really need to go for an Alienware. However, if you are that much into computers to want such a system, you'll probably try your hand at making it yourself. :;):

I read on the net last week that Dell dismissed rumours they were gonna buy Alienware  ???

Building your own PC is good is you want an exact spec but it's really cheaper than buying one from the shops  :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:09 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Right here goes, i've got -

HP pavillion f1723
Intel Pentium 4
3.0GHz
512MB DDR
80 GB Hard drive
DVD drive
HP DVD writer
+rw 8x double layer
NVIDIA GeForce
V92-READY MODEM (56K)
9-1 memory card reader

Cost approx £1600 OVER 3 YRS  from the missuses company buy a computer offer  jobby.

Geek  :p  :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:34 pm

Paul C wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Right here goes, i've got -

HP pavillion f1723
Intel Pentium 4
3.0GHz
512MB DDR
80 GB Hard drive
DVD drive
HP DVD writer
+rw 8x double layer
NVIDIA GeForce
V92-READY MODEM (56K)
9-1 memory card reader

Geek  :p  :D

:D  :D  :D
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:53 pm

Paul C wrote:
JBG wrote:Branded computers vary in quality. Generally the electonic parts are built by third parties (Samsung, DFI, AMD, Intel, ATI or NVidia) and all the likes of Dell etc do is supply their own monitor, power supply and casing.

I read on the net last week that Dell dismissed rumours they were gonna buy Alienware  ???

Building your own PC is good is you want an exact spec but it's really cheaper than buying one from the shops  :(

I think the Alienware deal went through.

Building your own PC is relatively easy, and if you want a high end machine, will save you money as once you get into the high end you pay way over the odds in the shops.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Paul C » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:58 pm

JBG wrote:
Paul C wrote:

I think the Alienware deal went through.

Building your own PC is relatively easy, and if you want a high end machine, will save you money as once you get into the high end you pay way over the odds in the shops.

I agree for a hi end one, it's supprising how easy they are to build but a lot of consumers are scared to  :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:37 pm

Its "easy" in so far as its only a matter of following about 10 steps, but I've built three and the third one (my current rig) caused a lot of problems. My case has what are known as "stealth" drive slots, but these were two narrow for my DVD burner (madness, this should all fit to the ATX standard) and I had a lot of trouble installing drivers for my graphics card as ATI's new CCC set up is extremely difficult to instal on a new computer (although easy when you know how).

Do your research and have a bit of patience when putting the bits together and a PC can be put together in 3 or 4 hours.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Paul C » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:48 pm

Pablo_Escobar wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Pablo_Escobar wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Pablo_Escobar wrote:AMD64 3000+ running Linux (the only right system)
512MB DDR RAM
120GB HDD SATA
Gigabyte ATI 9550 128MB + DVI
Asus Mobo with NForce2 chipset
CD-RW + DVD Combo

Sweet setup :)

I've always wanted to have a look at Linux, I downloaded Redhat linux for my Mac but never installed it  :(

Paul, PPC (Mac) support has been greatly improved over the last few months.
On Monday new desktop Redhat version will come out - Fedora Core 5.
Try it.
And if You want to see what Linux is capable of look at :
Linux new desktop capabilities
sweet, very eye-candy :)

Downloadin Fedora now, cheers Pablo  :)

Wait till Monday Paul.
Now there is unstable version and on Monday there will be a full, stable FC5 version.

I have found a page on Redhats website but the links are broken, wish they'd hurry up. :(

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/ppc/iso/
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:12 am

here's mine, it's feckin great

b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:31 am

Woollyback wrote:here's mine, it's feckin great

I've got a different monitor but my keyboard is the same as your  :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:53 am

Woollyback wrote:here's mine, it's feckin great

:buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock  :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:50 am

I'm thinkin of selling my Powermac and getting a Powerbook, I need the space at home and my 19" TFT and Powermac take up a lot of room :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum