The rugby world cup - Coming soon !

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:21 am

Big Niall wrote:Amazing. I never imagined that England could get to the final, a great achievment regardless of what happens. I have been supporting them since the quarters but didn't really believe that they could beat Australia or France.

Definately have their work cut out against the spring boks, hard to see how they can beat them but I said that in the quarters and semis.

Good luck England.

Much appreciated Niall, thank you considering your stance on everything English.  :D
66-1112520797

Postby Judge » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:01 pm

i believe our boys will win a tight final over south africa and be the first team with back to back world cup wins
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:26 pm

I always cheer for Nothern hemisphere teams when playing southern ones (plus I admire the pure grit of this English team)

Just wonder whether others feel the same (I suspect most English don't cheer for France though :D )

Who are the Irish,scots,Welsh cheering for? (not that the English fans give a flying f*ck as our countries were sh*te - although Scots did okay)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:34 pm

couldnt cheer for a certain hemisphere myself but always nice to see one of the big 3 lose (nz aus and sa)

not surprised we won on saturday to be honest, but south africa will kill us i reckon with speed and basic ability
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:55 pm

Big Niall wrote:I always cheer for Nothern hemisphere teams when playing southern ones (plus I admire the pure grit of this English team)

Just wonder whether others feel the same (I suspect most English don't cheer for France though :D )

Who are the Irish,scots,Welsh cheering for? (not that the English fans give a flying f*ck as our countries were sh*te - although Scots did okay)

look niall, no diving either  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:32 pm

England have been magnificient to be honest and a real testement to team spirit, I really did not expect them to reach the final and to be honest even thought they might not get out of the group stage at one point.

South Africa have to be the favourites but its a final and they will be nervous although England have not been exposed out wide and with Lewsey out this could be a problem and unlike France SA have a excellent full back who will punish mistakes.

I hope England win but my rugby mind has to go with SA
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:13 pm

we will win taff :angry:  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:22 pm

I hope so but it will be really hard, I hope England suck them into a war of attrition but I do fear about the midfield especially if Habana gets any space
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:34 pm

Judge wrote:
Big Niall wrote:I always cheer for Nothern hemisphere teams when playing southern ones (plus I admire the pure grit of this English team)

As long as Michael Owen, SWP and SG aren't playing against the Boks then that shouldn't be a problem :D

Diving over the line is okay though :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Wilhelmsson » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:22 pm

I’m so proud to be English; I have this gleaming smile which just won’t go away, I look like a smiley emoticon.

I also cannot stop listening to Swing Low, Swing Chariot. I wish the football team would take a leaf out of the Rugby player’s handbook.

This world cup has been one of the most exciting sporting events, I have witnessed in a long, long time, and the teams have been a huge credit to the sport.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:00 pm

The right words may help :D

Swing low, sweet chariot,
Comin' for to carry me home;
Swing low, sweet chariot,
Comin' for to carry me home.

I looked over Jordan,
And WHAT did I see,
Comin' for to carry me home,
A band of angels comin' after me,

Repeat chorus:

If you get there before I do,
Comin' for to carry me home,
Tell all my friends I'm comin' too,

Gestures to accompany the song

Swing low: Hand clasped and fingers interlocked motion with arms
sweet: kiss fingers and blow kiss
chariot:' snapping invisible reins and shaky voice as if riding in a chariot
coming: make a masturbatory gesture
for: hold up four fingers
to: hold up two fingers
carry: cradle arms as if carrying baby
me: point to self
home: make arc over head with arms
account deleted by request

Postby fivecups » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:34 pm

I cheered England on against Australia and largely against France but I'm caught in two minds for Saturday. One of the main reasons for this was Will Greenwood. His commentary on Sunday was a joke. He had no interest in the match, he only wanted to talk about England and slag off the Southern hemisphere teams, it was ridiculous. All the pundits who were happily hammering England are suddenly lauding them as one of the greatest teams ever.

Bottom line, if England win I'm going to have to listen to it forever.

Bitter? - probably.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:17 am

Big Niall wrote:
Judge wrote:

As long as Michael Owen, SWP and SG aren't playing against the Boks then that shouldn't be a problem :D

Diving over the line is okay though :D

indeed  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:59 pm

Union's f*cking boring. I'm sick to death of this tw*tting it downfield whenever the defence have it in hand. Anyone noticed that there's a cheer whenever the ball emerges from below a heap of bodies for a bit of passing? That's because it's one of the few times during the game that the crowd know for sure who has the ball.

League's a far better sport altogether. Much faster, and much more skilful. I've shouted myself hoarse down south arguing with people about which of the two games is the better, but there's absolutely no contest for me.

They need to reduce the number of points you get for a drop goal or a penalty. No wonder England are so pleased to have Wilkinson fit - he scores 95% of our points.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be watching the final. Really lousy sport to watch on the whole though.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Big Niall » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:40 am

but nobody outside north England or Australia cares about league so it can't whip up national pride.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum