The police force - Advice needed

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Wilhelmsson » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:15 pm

I have been contemplating joining the Police force, but I have limited knowledge on what the force and job entails and how I can become a police officer. I find myself at such a young age becoming increasingly annoyed at the mess that is our society and would like to do my bit to the help the community. The police force seems like the ideal job opportunity for me.

The Tories use the phrase, ‘paper work officer’ highlighting that police officers spend too much in an office and not out on the street building a solid relationship with their located community is this true? If anyone can offer some advice, It would be gratefully received, thanks for your time.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby destro » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:18 pm

Have a word with Peewee he should be able to give you some pointers
destro

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:17 am

i cant really comment too much as i don't know the current set up, i left in 1993.

however there is a lot of paperwork, made easier with computers now as oppossed to the typewriters we used, and more civilian support staff to type your handwritten statements etc.

its commendable that you wish to join to help society but don't,  expect to change it too much mate, the job is akin to banging your head against a brick wall on a daily basis, the courts are a joke, the criminals and scallies will make you feel murderous on a daily basis and a lot of the time you actually do feel helpless with your hands tied behind your back, added to the violence that comes your way requently and the lack of repect from all and sundry, and the idiot speeding who asks 'dont you have anything better to do' (answer, yes i do, but sadly i am having to have my time wasted by kunts like you who can not even respect simple traffic laws'). and dont forget the odd maggoty body.

anyway mate, i would never tell anyone not to do it, its better to try and see how you get on, maybe you will stick with it, i left ater getting stabbed in the leg, its not the injury that made me leave, i chose to because i'd had enough of all the rubbish that goes with it and the cynicism that i felt for everyone.

give it a go, i think cardinal red is a policeman, ask him how things are these days in relation to paperwork etc.

on a positive side mate, it can be very exciting at times (but not too often) and gives you great experience, although expect to see things you wouldnt normally see
112-1077774096

Postby MightyLFC » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:48 am

I was in the police I was in traffic and left after 4 years
MightyLFC

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:53 am

MightyLFC wrote:I was in the police I was in traffic and left after 4 years

What, as a lollypop lady ?

Jesus christ.
66-1112520797

Postby CardinalRed » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:42 pm

There are two schools of thought these days for any person wanting to join the Police Wilhelmsson, the first is usually "You must be mad" for most of the reasons that PeeWee laid out before, and the second being "Go for it".
Firstly, you do have the desire which is a good thing, I don't know how long you've been thinking about it but what I would say is that it shouldn't be a knee jerk reaction to incidents that get reported in the media. The notion that too many Officers spend a large amount of their time doing paperwork is not entirely true but not false either. There has always been paperwork in the job, I've been doing it 18yrs now and to be honest it doesn't really feel like we do any more now than we used to. The fact is that we have procedures to work within and the villains (those we do catch at least!) would not go down if the 'T's weren't crossed and the 'I's weren't dotted. The way communities are Policed is changing steadily but it is taking time, unfortunately we are not allowed (at work anyway) to express our opinions about Governmental policies that affect us and the bureacracy that we're up against but we soldier on.
Different qualities are needed, I wasn't particularly academical back in the day but I now work side by side with University Graduates and it certainly isn't that sort of 'nous' that you need. Common sense and a sense of decency are the main attributes I would say that are required, I dunno how old you are mate but I was 24 when I joined, I had done other jobs with all kinds of people before and it really helped me.
You won't change the world by joining mate but you can help people which is the number one thing the job is about, you will get frustrated by pedantic managers and career ladder climbers (?) who are out to feather their own nest at the expense of almost all around but it's probably like that in other jobs these days. Keep yourself fit and your wits about you and you won't go far wrong.

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:44 pm

Do you still need to have big feet.   :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Judge » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:44 pm

CardinalRed wrote:There are two schools of thought these days for any person wanting to join the Police Wilhelmsson, the first is usually "You must be mad" for most of the reasons that PeeWee laid out before, and the second being "Go for it".
Firstly, you do have the desire which is a good thing, I don't know how long you've been thinking about it but what I would say is that it shouldn't be a knee jerk reaction to incidents that get reported in the media. The notion that too many Officers spend a large amount of their time doing paperwork is not entirely true but not false either. There has always been paperwork in the job, I've been doing it 18yrs now and to be honest it doesn't really feel like we do any more now than we used to. The fact is that we have procedures to work within and the villains (those we do catch at least!) would not go down if the 'T's weren't crossed and the 'I's weren't dotted. The way communities are Policed is changing steadily but it is taking time, unfortunately we are not allowed (at work anyway) to express our opinions about Governmental policies that affect us and the bureacracy that we're up against but we soldier on.
Different qualities are needed, I wasn't particularly academical back in the day but I now work side by side with University Graduates and it certainly isn't that sort of 'nous' that you need. Common sense and a sense of decency are the main attributes I would say that are required, I dunno how old you are mate but I was 24 when I joined, I had done other jobs with all kinds of people before and it really helped me.
You won't change the world by joining mate but you can help people which is the number one thing the job is about, you will get frustrated by pedantic managers and career ladder climbers (?) who are out to feather their own nest at the expense of almost all around but it's probably like that in other jobs these days. Keep yourself fit and your wits about you and you won't go far wrong.

:cool:

if you join then i suspect you will spend most of the time posting in the fit birds zone, just like cardinal red  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:47 pm

red37 wrote:Do you still need to have big feet.   :D

Big feet and a head that goes to a point  :D
account deleted by request

Postby CardinalRed » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:53 pm

Judge wrote:if you join then i suspect you will spend most of the time posting in the fit birds zone, just like cardinal red  :D

Correct Judge.... it's the Fit Birds Zone that keeps me sane! and yes Red 37, my feet are of course gigantic and my head goes to a point some 38 inches above my shoulders!!! LOL

:D
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:55 pm

Ogre   :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:04 pm

CardinalRed wrote:
Judge wrote:if you join then i suspect you will spend most of the time posting in the fit birds zone, just like cardinal red  :D

Correct Judge.... it's the Fit Birds Zone that keeps me sane! and yes Red 37, my feet are of course gigantic and my head goes to a point some 38 inches above my shoulders!!! LOL

38 inches, wow. i just used to keep my sarnies in my helmet

112-1077774096

Postby red37 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:10 pm

What was it...a French stick!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Wilhelmsson » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:02 pm

Thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. I’ll address Peewee’s post first, I understand that as a police officer, I might not be able to change society at all and indeed the police do not seem to have enough authority or sovereignty in the justice system, but if I can make even a fragment of difference to the society in which I and others live, then that will make me proud. I am just sick to the back of my teeth with my generation and the melt down of the basic morals and principles that our society clearly needs.

The police force does seem like a stern and tough test and the role of a police officer does seem challenging and I guess fulfilling. I have seen how people treat the police and do not co-operate with the police, but I won’t know how difficult it is until I experience it at first hand, so I am willing to experience it. If it becomes too emotional and physically challenging for me, then I shall stand down, but I would like to help my community for the better and I feel by joining the police force, I will be contributing to something good in society when their are people my age who are robbing cars, beating each other up and being a menace to the community in which they inhabit.

As for the Cardinal’s response, I guess I must be somewhat insane to want to join, but I am not alone in wanting to join, several of my friends have also stated their intention to join the force after they complete Uni. I guess only time will tell if they become police officers, but like me they feel quite vulnerable when walking through an ally way or walking home at night.

My decision to pursue an interest in joining the police force goes back to some four years ago when a police officer came into our school and gave my class a talk on the life of being an officer. The reason I want to become an officer is simply because I feel insecure with the area in which I live, it’s quite intimidating having to walk past a group of hooded youths who scan you whilst you walk past, even sometimes throwing things at you or passing a comment (That's not to say every hooded youth is like this, I know several who are friendly people). A person should not feel intimidated in the society in which they live, so there is my reasoning.

I might sound a tad naïve, but it is something I look to pursue in the not too distant future, once again thanks for your help,

Wilhelmsson.
'There's Man Utd and Man City at the bottom of Division 1, and by God they'll take some shifting.' - Bill Shankly.
Wilhelmsson

Postby destro » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:02 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
MightyLFC wrote:I was in the police I was in traffic and left after 4 years

What, as a lollypop lady ?

Jesus christ.

I listened to the Police when I was stuck in traffic for 4 hours

:D  :D  :D
destro

Next

Return to General Chat Forum