The maypax riddles daily - Can u get 'em right?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby ethanr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:54 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:1) There is a common english word that is a thing that a large number of people have close to hand.
The word has the unusual feature of containing six adjacent consonants!
With the possible exception of diseases named after people, I believe that this is a record for number of adjacent consonants in a word.
What is the word?

2) During WWII, there was a bridge connecting Germany and Switzerland, and on the German side, there was a sentry tower with a guard in it. He would come out every three minutes to check on the bridge, and he had orders to turn back anyone who tried to get into Germany, and shoot anyone trying to escape without a pass. There was a woman who desperately needed to get into Switzerland, and she knew she didn't have time to get a pass. It would take her at least six minutes to cross the bridge, but she managed to do it. How?

3) A cork will not stay in the center of a glass of water. Instead it will slowly drift over to the side of the glass, where it will remain. There is, however, a simple way to make the cork remain floating in the center of the glass. How?

ps: there are 2 unsolved riddles above :)

2) She waited until the guard went back inside, then walked for 3 minutes to the middle of the bridge, and turned around as the guard was coming back out to check the bridge.  The guard would think she was coming from Switzerland into Germany, so he would send her back towards Switzerland.

3) Fill the glass with something else? a thicker liquid?  Or something like that?
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:14 am

ethanr wrote:2) She waited until the guard went back inside, then walked for 3 minutes to the middle of the bridge, and turned around as the guard was coming back out to check the bridge.  The guard would think she was coming from Switzerland into Germany, so he would send her back towards Switzerland.

3) Fill the glass with something else? a thicker liquid?  Or something like that?

you got #2 right Ethan. and the East and West one right as well.
:buttrock

but #3 isn't. Fill the glass nearly to the top and place the cork. Now add just a little more water so that the water forms a convex shape without overflowing. The cork will seek the highest point which is the center of the glass.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ethanr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:29 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
ethanr wrote:2) She waited until the guard went back inside, then walked for 3 minutes to the middle of the bridge, and turned around as the guard was coming back out to check the bridge.  The guard would think she was coming from Switzerland into Germany, so he would send her back towards Switzerland.

you got #2 right Ethan. and the East and West one right as well.
:buttrock

but #3 isn't. Fill the glass nearly to the top and place the cork. Now add just a little more water so that the water forms a convex shape without overflowing. The cork will seek the highest point which is the center of the glass.

Sweet.  I'm already catching up! I had to take a personal interest in that one with my name in it.. It's not the most popular of names  :D

Bring it on.
ethanr

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:08 am

ethanr wrote:Sweet.  I'm already catching up! I had to take a personal interest in that one...

or maybe you just needed something else to distract you since your team in the LMS didn't win :rasp
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ethanr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:48 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
ethanr wrote:Sweet.  I'm already catching up! I had to take a personal interest in that one...

or maybe you just needed something else to distract you since your team in the LMS didn't win :rasp

@ss hole..

:sniffle
ethanr

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:54 pm

something to keep your head spinning :D i'll update the table soon.

1) Flat on both or all ends.
Written words; maybe a groan can be heard...
Numbers, numbers everywhere,
But not a digit to think.
Your personal instrument;
Fun or not, it never matters.
Just know that it's a child's world...
Haha, break it....or better yet, leave it;
High up on the wall is not a good thing, neither on paper.
It rules you....so deal with it!

2) A spy is trying to send a secret message,I`m trying to decode it,,can you help me?
He sent these messages:
Lado Mado Bado
Nado Sado Mado
Kado Bado Fado
One of these messages(not as in above order) means:Plan excuted successfully.
other message means:Mission dangerously excuted.
and the third message means:Abort mission immediately.
Now....what does "Lado" mean?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ethanr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:03 pm

2)
Lado must mean dangerously.

Mado and Bado are each in two different phrases.  If you look at the messages, executed and mission are the only 2 words that are used in two different messages.  So you have to assume that executed and mission each mean either Mado or Bado, and the only message with both mission and executed is mission dangerously executed.  The only phrase with mado and bado also has lado.

So I'm assuming that Lado means dangerously.
ethanr

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:11 am

well done! :D i used the exact same manner to crack this one.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ethanr » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:15 am

Damn I'm good :D 3 points already!

The first one sounds too much like a poem and went straight over my head.
ethanr

Postby dawson99 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Dawson went to hospital to have part of his anatomy removed. Unfortunately, due to a typing error, the first letter of the word appeared at the end, and they chopped off the wrong thing. What had he wanted them to remove?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:39 pm

dawson99 wrote:Dawson went to hospital to have part of his anatomy removed. Unfortunately, due to a typing error, the first letter of the word appeared at the end, and they chopped off the wrong thing. What had he wanted them to remove?

it was supposed to be removed, but instead it got chopped off.....

for it to be removed, it's probably an internal organ. but since it got chopped off, it's an external part of the body. am i on the right track? :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby dawson99 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:42 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
dawson99 wrote:Dawson went to hospital to have part of his anatomy removed. Unfortunately, due to a typing error, the first letter of the word appeared at the end, and they chopped off the wrong thing. What had he wanted them to remove?

it was supposed to be removed, but instead it got chopped off.....

for it to be removed, it's probably an internal organ. but since it got chopped off, it's an external part of the body. am i on the right track? :D

I wish I knew, I'm trying to work it out as well, using this thread as my cheat sheet :D
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:56 pm

well then it surely can't be brains that they are trying to remove :p
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:03 pm

ok MAYBE he wanted an operation on his thigh but then it came out as hight (read: height) hence they chopped off his legs? :cool:
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:28 am

I was at a great party the other day to celebrate my friends birthday. At the start of the night she cut up an apple pie and gave everyone a piece. Since we had all just arrived when we were issued with the pie we didn't want to eat it. We left it on the table and went off to party!!!

Later on, when I started to feel a little hungry, I went to take a bit of my piece of pie but when I got to the table and found my plate I discovered that someone had already ate my piece of pie!!!

I ran to the CD player and stopped the music exclaiming,
"STOP! STOP! One of you have ate my piece of pie"
Then I went around the room questioning everybody to see if I could figure out who ate my pie.

Person A said:Well it wasn't me and C definately didn't do it.
Person B said:If I told you I ate it I'd be lying and anyway I arrived late. I never knew about the pie.
Person C said:B arrived late and didn't know about the pie and D didn't do it.
Person D said:It was not me!

Someone is lying! Only one person is lying and if they are lying then everything they say is a lie. Can you figure out who is lying and who ate your pie?
maypaxvobiscum

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum