The maypax riddles daily - Can u get 'em right?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:02 am

Kharhaz wrote:Another one. Why is it when you have money, people offer to lend you it, but when you need it, not a helpful soul can be found?

Fair enough, couldnt answer the Davina McCall one could you?  :D

thats ok, I dont think anyone can !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:12 am

its due to Eric Clapton helping her out during her tough times.

well at least according to Wiki :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:09 pm

1. A farmer was going to town with a fox, a goose and a sack of corn. When he came to a stream, he had to cross in a tiny boat, and could only take across one thing at a time. However, if he left the fox alone with the goose, the fox would eat the goose, and if he left the goose alone with the corn, the goose would eat the corn. How does he get them all safely over the stream?

2. A frog fell into a hole that was 14 1/2 feet deep. He could jump 3 feet, but he slid back a foot each time he jumped. How many jumps does it take him to get out of the hole?

3. A man had twelve toothpicks in front of him. He took one away. Now he had nine in front of him. How is this possible?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:07 pm

2: I worked it out at 7 jumps.

3: I think i've come across something similar. Remaining toothpicks spell number nine (if roman numerals anyway).

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby addy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:44 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:1. A farmer was going to town with a fox, a goose and a sack of corn. When he came to a stream, he had to cross in a tiny boat, and could only take across one thing at a time. However, if he left the fox alone with the goose, the fox would eat the goose, and if he left the goose alone with the corn, the goose would eat the corn. How does he get them all safely over the stream?

2. A frog fell into a hole that was 14 1/2 feet deep. He could jump 3 feet, but he slid back a foot each time he jumped. How many jumps does it take him to get out of the hole?

3. A man had twelve toothpicks in front of him. He took one away. Now he had nine in front of him. How is this possible?

1. He takes the goose across and comes back.

He then takes the Corn across and brings the goose back.

Then he takes the fox across.

Then he comes back alone for the goose.
addy

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Kash_Mountain wrote:2: I worked it out at 7 jumps.

3: I think i've come across something similar. Remaining toothpicks spell number nine (if roman numerals anyway).

:nod
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:10 pm

addy wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:1. A farmer was going to town with a fox, a goose and a sack of corn. When he came to a stream, he had to cross in a tiny boat, and could only take across one thing at a time. However, if he left the fox alone with the goose, the fox would eat the goose, and if he left the goose alone with the corn, the goose would eat the corn. How does he get them all safely over the stream?

1. He takes the goose across and comes back.

He then takes the Corn across and brings the goose back.

Then he takes the fox across.

Then he comes back alone for the goose.

:nod
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Two soldiers, William and Ethan, are assigned to guard a bridge, which connects the West and East sides of the Great Kingdom. Each soldier is ordered to stand at an end of the bridge to make sure no criminals cross. On one side of the bridge stands William, watching over the West side of the kingdom, and making sure no shady characters try to cross the bridge.
Ethan stands on the other side of the bridge, facing the East side of the kingdom with his rifle at the ready in case any criminals try to pass across.
"Any criminals today?" William asks.
Ethan rolls his eyes. "What do you think?" he asks.
"You roll your eyes too much," William says.
How could William tell that Ethan was rolling his eyes?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:31 pm

here's a riddle from Metalhead,

i am 7 letters long: 1234567. My 123 is a vehicle. My 2345 was a pop group from the late 70's-80's. my 456 is a piece of luggage. My 567 changes every year. What am I?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:45 am

1) There is a common english word that is a thing that a large number of people have close to hand.
The word has the unusual feature of containing six adjacent consonants!
With the possible exception of diseases named after people, I believe that this is a record for number of adjacent consonants in a word.
What is the word?

2) During WWII, there was a bridge connecting Germany and Switzerland, and on the German side, there was a sentry tower with a guard in it. He would come out every three minutes to check on the bridge, and he had orders to turn back anyone who tried to get into Germany, and shoot anyone trying to escape without a pass. There was a woman who desperately needed to get into Switzerland, and she knew she didn't have time to get a pass. It would take her at least six minutes to cross the bridge, but she managed to do it. How?

3) A cork will not stay in the center of a glass of water. Instead it will slowly drift over to the side of the glass, where it will remain. There is, however, a simple way to make the cork remain floating in the center of the glass. How?

ps: there are 2 unsolved riddles above :)
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:29 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:here's a riddle from Metalhead,

i am 7 letters long: 1234567. My 123 is a vehicle. My 2345 was a pop group from the late 70's-80's. my 456 is a piece of luggage. My 567 changes every year. What am I?

I've heard this one before- It's Cabbage

123- Cab;
2345-Abba;
456- Bag;
567- Age.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:37 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:1) There is a common english word that is a thing that a large number of people have close to hand.
With the possible exception of diseases named after people, I believe that this is a record for number of adjacent consonants in a word.
What is the word?

2) During WWII, there was a bridge connecting Germany and Switzerland, and on the German side, there was a sentry tower with a guard in it. He would come out every three minutes to check on the bridge, and he had orders to turn back anyone who tried to get into Germany, and shoot anyone trying to escape without a pass. There was a woman who desperately needed to get into Switzerland, and she knew she didn't have time to get a pass. It would take her at least six minutes to cross the bridge, but she managed to do it. How?

3) A cork will not stay in the center of a glass of water. Instead it will slowly drift over to the side of the glass, where it will remain. There is, however, a simple way to make the cork remain floating in the center of the glass. How?

ps: there are 2 unsolved riddles above :)

1: All I could think of were the following (but they are not exactly close top hand):

Any of these- Sphynx and Chrysler ?

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:20 am

Kash_Mountain wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:1) There is a common english word that is a thing that a large number of people have close to hand.
What is the word?

1: All I could think of were the following (but they are not exactly close top hand):

Any of these- Sphynx and Chrysler ?

nope.

clue: the first word is close to your hand while the other is something often quoted.

but you did solve Metalhead's riddle above though. the answer's "Cabbage".
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ethanr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:43 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:oh btw, 5 points for the genius Nifty :D

I just looked at this for the first time, saw the riddle and figured it our right away, was all excited then scrolled down and saw somebody already solved it..  :sniffle
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ethanr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:48 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:Two soldiers, William and Ethan, are assigned to guard a bridge, which connects the West and East sides of the Great Kingdom. Each soldier is ordered to stand at an end of the bridge to make sure no criminals cross. On one side of the bridge stands William, watching over the West side of the kingdom, and making sure no shady characters try to cross the bridge.
Ethan stands on the other side of the bridge, facing the East side of the kingdom with his rifle at the ready in case any criminals try to pass across.
"Any criminals today?" William asks.
Ethan rolls his eyes. "What do you think?" he asks.
"You roll your eyes too much," William says.
How could William tell that Ethan was rolling his eyes?

William is standing on the East side of the bridge, looking westward across the bridge.  Ethan is standing on the west side of the bridge, looking eastward, so they are looking at each other, not away from each other.

Tho I don't know how well this would work security-wise  :p
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum