The boxing thread - All talk about boxing past n present

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Mikz » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:51 pm

Good stuff that Nanny, very interesting -and if you notice not a single mention of Marciano  :D  Did someone say Lennox Lewis ? Cant believe that.
Ive had this debate with my old man many times...and as I cant really rate the older ones Ill pick his top 5.
1-Joe Louis
2-Jack Johnson
3-Jack Dempsey
4-Archie Moore
5-Mohammed Ali

He said exactly the same as you about the Henry Cooper thing , and even about the night Bugner robbed him  :no
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:11 pm

Did you watch the Frazier interview good stuff
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Yes, Likeable guy ol smokin Joe. Him, Foreman and Ali are like the three amigos lol.

What did you make of Sonny Liston? Has anyone seen or heard much of him? And that so called phantom punch? I remember seeing it once, and thought the wind blew him over but who knows!
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:41 pm

Mikz wrote:Yes, Likeable guy ol smokin Joe. Him, Foreman and Ali are like the three amigos lol.

What did you make of Sonny Liston? Has anyone seen or heard much of him? And that so called phantom punch? I remember seeing it once, and thought the wind blew him over but who knows!

Regarding Sonny Liston he died in 1971 from a drugs overdose . He was only about 40 some people say he was killed by the mafia,

Them two fights he had against Ali ive only seen clips of them but i was shocked in the first fight when he wouldnt get off his stool . I mean he had not long battered Floyd Patterson
the story again is that the mafia got to him because he was under there control . So wether he decided not to play ball with them and throw the fight himself i dont honestly know.

The Fanthom punch, this man was a world class boxer and im only going on what my dad told me was he never got hit and threw that fight aswell .what i couldnt believe was that Jersey Joe Walcott was the referee and the fight got switched to a small venue  Shame but as you know mikz boxing in them days was controlled by the mafia . I think in some quaters its the same today. You must have seen a dodgy fight and thought wtf cause i know i have
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 am

Yeah seen a few dodgey ones, more so in the heavyweight division, which was never my favourite weight to watch.
I remember too seeing Terry Norris get knocked out and smiling quite a lot after it to someone in the crowd.

I too believe Liston took a dive. Im not sure what Jersey Joe had in mind marching ali all round the ring, wouldnt have mattered when the count began, Liston in my opinion just wasnt interested. Id assume it was off his own bat too .
Its a real shame too because they say he was highly talented.

I notice too in January-Roy Jones junior fights Tito Trinidad -what do ya make of that one? Both well past their best I think and surely Jones has the big advantage . Tito can bang but he never had a great chin. Could go either way, but on their day Id have put my house on Roy Jones aagainst anyone.
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:31 pm

Mikz wrote:Yeah seen a few dodgey ones, more so in the heavyweight division, which was never my favourite weight to watch.
I remember too seeing Terry Norris get knocked out and smiling quite a lot after it to someone in the crowd.

I too believe Liston took a dive. Im not sure what Jersey Joe had in mind marching ali all round the ring, wouldnt have mattered when the count began, Liston in my opinion just wasnt interested. Id assume it was off his own bat too .
Its a real shame too because they say he was highly talented.

I notice too in January-Roy Jones junior fights Tito Trinidad -what do ya make of that one? Both well past their best I think and surely Jones has the big advantage . Tito can bang but he never had a great chin. Could go either way, but on their day Id have put my house on Roy Jones aagainst anyone.

Have to agree with you on that one Mikz

But i think this fight should of happend years ago when they were both in there prime. But since Jones has moved up all them weights i think he will prove to strong for him. And yet saying that Trinadad has only ever been put down by Hopkins i know Jones beat Hopkins but maybe it will come down to whos chin is the strongest cause they both can punch/

Trinadad hasnt had a fight for a long time so it also could depend on who comes back in the best condition.

But as i said i think Jones will be to strong for him and i would go for a TKO in the first six

Gonna be a great fight though have they said whos showing it is it primetime or hbo
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:41 am

I read about it here Nan.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=13288&more=1

Trinidad refers to -Chicken de la hoya  lol

Id really like to see Roy Jones hang up his gloves now. Retire with his pride still in tact. I absolutely loved him at his prime, the movement , hand speed and knock out power were a delight to watch. Id have him in my top 5 ever list (ones ive seen) Be sad to see him mar that reputation now.
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:25 pm

Boxing has always had characters, true life drama and rivalries that outmatch any other sport

watched a biography on this guy about 2 years ago, unbelievable

Johnny Tapia

And this happened to him this year
Car accident
burjennio

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:05 pm

Theres a couple of good little fights coming up 1st dec Antonio Tarver is fighting and the same night Julio Cesar Chavez Jr is boxing . you know you can get the live footy steams is there any were i can watch the boxing
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:39 am

Couldnt sleep last night so flicking through the channels and on sky ESPN classic was the first Liston v Ali fight its on again today a 12 noon.
Could not believe it , it was the first time ive actually seen the full fight. What a fix, i gave Liston rounds 3,4 and 5, landed the most shots .Ali unbelievable in the 6th but Liston was still strong cannot believe for the life of me why he never came off the stool for the seventh round. What a farce.

Good to see Joe Louis in the ring with the interviewer though.

There showing loads of  classic fights every night so it looks like a few more late nights for me
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:06 am

Liston won 6 and 7 because Ali got gauze in his eyes, when it started clearing he picked Liston apart for the last 2 minutes of the 7th and, realizing he was a beaten man, Liston gave up, much as he did in the rematch, tho alot quicker

Listons career echoes Tysons in many ways, from the aura he gave off in his hayday as a monster, both eventually being found out to be nothing more than bullies, with their main weapons being just as much intimidation and fear as hooks and uppercuts, and ultimately in the turmoil they both faced outside the ring

Coincidentally, when you watch Alis fights with Fraizer and Norton, do you not thing that the judges were slightly biased toward the sports biggest money spinner?
burjennio

Postby Big Niall » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:39 am

Norton beat Ali 3 times out of 3, watch the fights!

anyway, who is the most shot fighter out there, I think either Wayne McCullough or HOlyfield - both cursed with fantastic chins.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:44 pm

Sadly its Evander, when you look at the roadsweepers trying to make a name for themselves by beating him, he's losing to the worst fighters in the history of the division, guys that make Herbie Hyde and Henry Akinwande look like Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali
burjennio

Postby NANNY RED » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:14 pm

burjennio wrote:Liston won 6 and 7 because Ali got gauze in his eyes, when it started clearing he picked Liston apart for the last 2 minutes of the 7th and, realizing he was a beaten man, Liston gave up, much as he did in the rematch, tho alot quicker

Listons career echoes Tysons in many ways, from the aura he gave off in his hayday as a monster, both eventually being found out to be nothing more than bullies, with their main weapons being just as much intimidation and fear as hooks and uppercuts, and ultimately in the turmoil they both faced outside the ring

Coincidentally, when you watch Alis fights with Fraizer and Norton, do you not thing that the judges were slightly biased toward the sports biggest money spinner?

Read the post properly or watch the fight there was no seventh round so i dont know what fight youve been watching. The fight was a good fight and Liston was still in with a shout i thought even at the end of the sixth.

It was at the start of the fifth round that Ali was complaining he couldnt see his trainer Dundee thought he had linament in his eyes but he held Liston of by just toying with him with his long reach.

I dont believe there was anything wrong with his shoulder and that why he never came out.

I totally disagree with you comparing Liston to Tyson.
Liston was a boxer of quality who was unfortunatly controled by the mafia Tyson was just a monster in and out of the ring

Have to agree with Big Niall watch the fights
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:43 am

sorry round 5 and 6 - The only way he was in the fight would have been to land a big punch, Ali danced around him, and his frustration grew, his bully tactics didnt work and he saught the easy way out, just like Tyson did when things didnt go for him

Big Niall
LFC Elite Member

Group: LFC Premium Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Norton beat Ali 3 times out of 3, watch the fights!

Note the sarcasm in the question, I have the 1st and 3rd Ali Norton fights on vidoe tape, Many people believe, myself included, that  Norton won the 3rd Fight quite comfortably
burjennio

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum