Board games thread - Past and present.

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:05 am

Now although computer games have taken over our way of life, I still feel you cannot beat the classic monopoly or scrabble or even trivial pursuit around a table with friends or/and family.

Growing up all we ever played were board games and my step dad had some classics one of the best ones was called Microdot. You had to capture your opponents brief case and get it back to your base. Classic.

You also had the very annoying Go For Broke, where you had to lose all your money to win, not as easy as it sounds !

Does anyone else still play any board games or remember the ones they played as kids?
Last edited by Kharhaz on Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:52 am

Ahhh, board games...so many memories.  I'm not sure how many of these made their way across the Atlantic (or orginated there!), but here are some of my faves:

We never owned this one but I remember it clear as day.  Must have played it my cousin's house or something when I was very young:

Life was a classic...especially with the little pink and blue plastic cars and stick people to insert as you built your family:

Poleconomy was a Canadian one that was like monopoly with a bit of politics thrown in (you had a PM who could set the levels of inflation, tax people etc.).  This was THE Christmas game in our house when the extended family came round:

This game was one of my favourites as a kid and I've just recently got a new edition.  Not as charming as the old classic but still a good play:

And, of course, who could overlook the ultimate classic!:

Good times! :buttrock

Question for you Kharhaz, did you have a British version of "Triv" or was it the same as ours (Genus edition)?  If so, wouldn't you have found it a bit too North American focused? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:00 am

Question for you Kharhaz, did you have a British version of "Triv" or was it the same as ours (Genus edition)?  If so, wouldn't you have found it a bit too North American focused?

We played a Genus edition at our friends place and it was a good all rounder. Not to north american at all. Havent played it since though, would like too its so bloody expensive !

P.S. Oh and yes, british version.
Last edited by Kharhaz on Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:09 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Question for you Kharhaz, did you have a British version of "Triv" or was it the same as ours (Genus edition)?  If so, wouldn't you have found it a bit too North American focused?

We played a Genus edition at our friends place and it was a good all rounder. Not to north american at all. Havent played it since though, would like too its so bloody expensive !

Yeah, I think the Genus edition was the original (invented by a Canadian and all!) and I suppose it was the same wherever you went.  It was only after it took off that they started making specialty editions, including national editions.  None were a patch on the original, though--maybe because my cousin and I had memorized most of the answers by the time we hit high school and used our superior recall to muller our parents, who just thought us exceptionally bright! :D

Interesting that it didn't come across as too N. American--I would have thought it was a 'good all-rounder' too but I'm not really in a position to judge effectively.  That said, my uncle was from Bolton originally and he loves the game so I guess it had widespread appeal.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:15 am

Bad Bob wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:

Yeah, I think the Genus edition was the original (invented by a Canadian and all!) and I suppose it was the same wherever you went.  It was only after it took off that they started making specialty editions, including national editions.  None were a patch on the original, though--maybe because my cousin and I had memorized most of the answers by the time we hit high school and used our superior recall to muller our parents, who just thought us exceptionally bright! :D

Interesting that it didn't come across as too N. American--I would have thought it was a 'good all-rounder' too but I'm not really in a position to judge effectively.  That said, my uncle was from Bolton originally and he loves the game so I guess it had widespread appeal.

Ive played the pc one with my missus and that did come across as very american, we looked at each other with many questions very confused. But the board game we played seemed to be more british, we understood the questions ! This was about 6 years ago. Ive been meaning to own my own game but like I said, its not cheap to buy. Probably the best Trivia board game there is.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:20 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:

Ive played the pc one with my missus and that did come across as very american, we looked at each other with many questions very confused. But the board game we played seemed to be more british, we understood the questions ! This was about 6 years ago. Ive been meaning to own my own game but like I said, its not cheap to buy. Probably the best Trivia board game there is.

Keep an eye out for someone selling a used version, mate.  Do you guys have yard/garage sales (car boot sale?) over there, where people try and offload all their old rubbish?  Usually a treasure trove for old board games, those--especially now that kids just want to play video games.  :glare:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby red37 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:47 am

This ones a great game - bob you must have heard of this one.

Ticket to Ride

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:29 am

Used to love the old strategy board games, Napoleons Last Battles, Panzer Blitz , Russian Campaign etc. Got into them so much that I ended up co-designing one with a mate that to our surprise sold very well , went on to spawn many off-shoots and today still has a world wide fan club .

linky to Woofs game

:)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby andy_g » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:36 am

life was better when it was pop-o-matic

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:43 am

:laugh: , played that a couple of weeks ago Andy, modified the rules , you can move your pieces in any direction :D , absolute mayhem took hours to finish, almost ran out of tequila.  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:20 am

andy_g wrote:life was better when it was pop-o-matic

What a classic, that and the Risk game have just sheared 30 years of my life and brought me back to a simpler golden age......thats enough I sound like Grandpa Simpson now
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:35 am

i have Spongebob monopoly :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby andy_g » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:19 pm

put a bit of savlon on it and it will be gone in the morning

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<