The boxing thread - All talk about boxing past n present

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Big Niall » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:50 am

Those two are obvious contenders. you must also take into account the time, heavyweights were much smaller then so while I'm sure todays fighters would wallop them, they still don't come close.

I do think though that both Joe Louis and Rocky were fairly static fighters, especially Rocky.

I think from the clips I've seen that Johnson was a better mover (and decades earlier too) although didn't have their knock out power.

I know Foreman says Louis best ever heavyweight.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:08 pm

Jack Johnson against Stanley Ketchel , where Ketchel (a middleweight ) floored him and got him mad...and Johnson chased him round the ring -funniest moment in boxing I think Ive seen.
Johnson used to make the taxi driver weight on him outside, before the fight and tell him 'I wont be long' lol
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:19 pm

NANNY RED wrote:I see were you coming from Niall regarding the heavyweights but 2 fighters clearly stand out for me

Joe Louis his punching accuracy is the best ever seenthe man had speed power and some of the best combination punches ever seen in any weight class of any time .He was the complete package the man held his title for 15 years with the most defences.

I still love watching clips of Marciano he was a tremendos puncher for a small heavyweight he just kept coming and never stopped punching. He had a great chin and a powerful right hand and dont forget he was the only heavyweight to retire unbeaton

Yes ya canny deny Joe Louis. Most experts will tell ya he was in the the top 3 heavyweights ever. What a record too.
Marciano...Im not so impressed with him tho. Great fighter too of course , more of a slugger lol

I think Gene Tunney was undefeated too Nanny, not 100% sure on that one tho.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:46 pm

Gene Tunney lost a fight before he was champion and then retired as champion, hence the confusion.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:19 pm

Big Niall Posted on Nov. 15 2007,10:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those two are obvious contenders. you must also take into account the time, heavyweights were much smaller then so while I'm sure todays fighters would wallop them, they still don't come close.

I think the rise of the "Megaweight", 20 stone + fighters has a big impact on the demise of the division, There cumbersome nature make for terrible viewing and most have a safety first attitute, staying behind their gangling jabs and throwing about 30  punches or less a round, perhaps its time that boxing introduced a Superheavyweight division and let the 200-220lb guys show us some proper tear-ups again at heavyweight RUMBLE YOUNG MAN RUMBLE!!   :D
burjennio

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:42 pm

Big Niall wrote:Jack Johnson rarely gets spoken off but a definate contender of best heavyweight fighter ever.

I woulnt go that far Niall id have him possibly in my top ten but remember he was champion in the old days when heavyweights fought middleweights and sometimes even cruiserweights he fought so many fight with mismatched weights But saying that he was a talented fighter and probebly could have taken on some of the latter day great heavyweights and won.

Mikz you dont sound to keen on Marciano ill tell you what if half the fighters around today had Marcianos desire the sport of boxing would be better off . I can only  think off the top of my head of two  boxers around today with the passion and desire that man had Bernard Hopkins and Ricky Hatton.

Another thing regarding Tyson ive spoke to many people at fights and listened to commentators regarding him and everyone has said that Jack Dempsey was everything that Tyson wanted to be . Shame he wasnt half the man and fighter Dempsey was
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:47 pm

Well, its hard really for me to rate him Nanny , im just going by what Ive read , some old tv clips and listening to me old man . When I said i wasnt keen , I was judging him against the likes of Dempsey and Louis. Yes he beat Louis, and Moore but well I dont need to tell you how old they were by then.
    His record is second to none, and I always wondered why my old man never raved about him the way he did for Jack Dempsey, Jack Johnson or Joe Louis. Maybe a big heart wasnt enough brother, maybe he wasnt as spectecular, I dont know but if he was behind them 3 then it doesnt make him a bad fighter lol
   You said about the Tyson/Dempsey thing, I too believe Tyson modelled himself on Jack Dempsey. I know he wasnt half the man, but if had been handled properly , he would surely have been the greatest ever. The young hungry Rooney trained Tyson was awesome to watch, the hand speed of a middleweight , his movement, and ferocity in both hands from the bell of round one.  :no  He had it all, especially a brutal uppercut and ya could see him grimace every time he threw a punch on the inside -total animal.
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:58 pm

Shall i let you into a little secret Mikz  :laugh:

Im a woman so youd better call me sister  :laugh:
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:37 pm

:oh: youre joking me! Sorry about that sister lol Cant believe a woman would have such great boxing knowledge...gobsmacked (no pun intended) lol
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:17 am

Mikz wrote::oh: youre joking me! Sorry about that sister lol Cant believe a woman would have such great boxing knowledge...gobsmacked (no pun intended) lol

Come from a boxing mad family me mams brothers used to run boxing clubs in Liverpool and i used to go with them got addicted and that was it, I used to go to London with them every year for the ABAs seen some great boxers there over the years Magri, Terry Marsh,Herol Graham, Bruno dont go much now i prefer to go and watch the pros fight. I was at York Hall couple of months ago watching Derry Mathews fight,
great prospect.

I tend to go and watch the big fights now though and will be going to Vegas to watch the Hatton fight , it will be the third time ive been there to watch the fights. this one is curtisy of my lad,  early christmas present.

Hope your not to shocked but what can you do i was the only girl in a family of lads :laugh:
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:52 am

Youre a dedicated follower of boxing fashion sister  :D  Ive ever seen one live fight -my dad took me and my brother over to watch Jim Watt v Charlie Nash , ah many years ago I was only about 12, but I can still remember it well and all the celebrations afterwards.
No point saying I hope ya enjoy it, cos I know ya will lol Really looking forward to it myself. :buttrock
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:29 am

Last night my lad brought me some clips round to watch of an up and coming young fighter in America ive heard of his name and read reviews about him in the ring but i have never seen this kid , Wow remember this name for the future middlewieght champion of the world. Tyrone Brunson this kid is 22 has had 15 pro fights and has knocked them all out in the fiest round.

I was actually on the edge of my chair watching him he is the most exiting boxer ive seen in years. He is a Kronk fighter with fantastic prospects .
I remember reading the Ring mag a while ago and the reviews on him were raving they were saying he is the most exiting fighter to emerge since a young Mike Tyson.

Lets hope he doesnt go the same way i cant wait till his fights are shown on tv
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:14 pm

burjennio

Postby Mikz » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:15 pm

Havent heard of him , although its just what not only the heavyweight division needs, but the whole of boxing.  I think hes on Youtube on the punchball tho.
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:28 am

Any one seen this before never mind what happend next what happend before to make him do that to the REF

WHOS THE REF
:laugh:
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum