Sh1t - State of emergency in thailand

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:54 am

Latest GOVT News

On 19 September 2006 the Thai  Army Commander, General Sonthi  Booyaratglin, announced that he had established a Reform Council to take over the administration of the country. A nationwide state of Martial law has been declared. The British Embassy in Bangkok is closely monitoring the situation. If you are currently in Bangkok, you should avoid moving around the city wherever possible. If you intend to travel to, or are currently in Thailand, you should monitor all available information on the local situation and keep in contact with your tour operator. You should also avoid any demonstrations and large crowds. Movements around government buildings in Bangkok and in public may be restricted until the situation becomes clearer
We advise against all but essential travel to, or through, the far southern provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla, where there is continuing violence due to insurgency and civil unrest.  Since January 2004, there have been regular attacks including bombings and shootings. There were a number of explosions in August 2006. On 16 September 2006, four bombs exploded in the town of Hat Yai killing four and injuring approximately 68.  Two British nationals were amongst a number of foreign nationals injured in this latest attack. The Thai Government has declared a serious state of emergency in the provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat.

There is a high threat from terrorism throughout Thailand.  Attacks could be indiscriminate and against places frequented by foreigners.

Link to govt travel advice on thailand
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:21 am

peewee wrote:on a brighter note espn is back on so peewee can watch the game tonight   :;):

On an inquisative? note why have you got a crafty little w@nker, who you've named Oasis tugging all over your sig ?  :D
66-1112520797

Postby babu » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:16 am

Hey peewee, hope you and you're girlfriend are all right.
this damn coupee thingy is really buggering us up for us over here. just can't get any replies from any government department. Do us a favour would you; go to the ministry of science and technology and tell em you're running the show now, then approve our contract.

cheers mate.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:30 am

stay safe peewee ole bean
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:41 am

Whats the point of banning western news stations from broadcasting?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:59 am

Whats the point of banning western news stations from broadcasting?

I was 5 when there was a coup here, but for what I know, Coupists always try to control key infraestructures (electricity, Communications, main roads) as a sign that the coup is strong. But then, that country is on the other side of the world!

Keep us posted as much as you can Peewee, stay safe.

According to the Spanish ambassador there, there's not danger for the Spaniards there, I guess that applies also for British citizens. Apparently according to the local news there won't be a bloodshed as the coup millitary has the absolute control of the country and there's not an important split among millitary perssonel.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:03 pm

yeah i went out again this afternoon, its quite surreal, there are now soldiers everywhere but i never felt threatened at all.

i try to not worry, its not an anti western thing so there is no need to feel threatened as a white man out here. i suppose its up to the western governments to err on the side of caution but i havent really noticed any change in life here about from the visible presence of the army everywhere

also bbc and cnn has a tendency to be blanked out when they talk about the coup. obviously the miliary are trying to control what the public can see, hence they also took over the local channels (the army actually own one of the channels)
Last edited by 112-1077774096 on Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:01 pm

Its hard to see exactly whats going on from here! But going by what is being said on the news it looks as if the army have the countries interests at heart.
I just hope for Thailands sake and Peewees that it all ends peacefully!
Theres enough trouble in the world with wars and terror threats from fanatical religious lunatics at the minute!
66-1120597113

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:49 pm

basicaly barry the country has been at od over thaksins sale of shin corp and the fact no tax was paid on the sale.

one group wants him out of power but the majority want him in. he called an election in april and the 'people alliance for democracy' stopped people standing against him in the election, this meant that thaksins party needed 20%of the vote in the unapossed seats to win, he basically won apart from a few seats , so then the PAD decided to hold proyests and make complaints about fraud and the elction comission were sacked and some imprisonned.

we were due another election next month but the intsability and thaksins refusal to resign (but why should he, he is the elected leader and no proof of any wrongdoing against him) has led to the army taking control to restore stabilty. but to be honest i dont think it needed to be restored, i think general sonthi has his own agenda against thaksin (remember the army led an attempt on thaksins life 2 weeks ago). thaksin sacked sonthi the same day as the coup started.

not democratic as far as i am concerned, i think they are confused with what deocracy actually is
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1120597113 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:15 pm

peewee wrote:basicaly barry the country has been at od over thaksins sale of shin corp and the fact no tax was paid on the sale.

one group wants him out of power but the majority want him in. he called an election in april and the 'people alliance for democracy' stopped people standing against him in the election, this meant that thaksins party needed 20%of the vote in the unapossed seats to win, he basically won apart from a few seats , so then the PAD decided to hold proyests and make complaints about fraud and the elction comission were sacked and some imprisonned.

we were due another election next month but the intsability and thaksins refusal to resign (but why should he, he is the elected leader and no proof of any wrongdoing against him) has led to the army taking control to restore stabilty. but to be honest i dont think it needed to be restored, i think general sonthi has his own agenda against thaksin (remember the army led an attempt on thaksins life 2 weeks ago). thaksin sacked sonthi the same day as the coup started.

not democratic as far as i am concerned, i think they are confused with what deocracy actually is

I still dont know what to make of it all Peewee!
It seems to me that no one really wants violence or something would have errupted by now!
Its always strange when this happens in a country and usually us the public never really know the true facts,just what we are meant to hear!

I find it really strange and a bit amusing that the army have a TV station BTW!

As for democracy..what is it all really about anyway?

A bunch of snobbish highly educated idiots big themselves up...we fall for one,and  actually vote!
Then 2 years later we call for their heads and wish we would have voted for someone else!

Its looking like a coup is gonna be the only course of action that will get Blair out over here!
Maybe coups are the new democracy!
:laugh:  :D
66-1120597113

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:00 am

the army also have a bank mate.

i spoke with a taxi driver a few weeks ago about all this, the drivers tend to be in favour of thaksin.

he told me the previous pms all talked about doing things but never doing them, while thaksin got things done, but i think his style ruffled a few feathers. i think he is the first pm to ever serve his full term and get re elected
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:54 am

I got this email from a Thai friend of mine just the other day, he doesnt mind sharing his thoughts with you on his current prime minister, so I'd thought I'd post it here if anyones interested.

Thanks for your time!!!!!!!
someone asked me about the situation here what is going on,and they would like to know all the story

it started in 1997   (the real story of the man named taksin shinnawattra)
when thailand was having the ecomomic's problem
he was the one who gained more than 1000 millions baht, how?
coz prime minister in that time told him b4 he let our goes free
(in 1997    1 usd = 25 baht  ------>  now   about 1 usd = 38 baht)
so he bought alot of us currency and sold them after baht went down
it is okay if you were an ordinary man
but back then he was the minister of economy
(good or bad you tell)

in 2000 he was selected to be prime minister what happened? ???
we found that he hided his shares with driver
he claimed that those shares belong to the driver
how could it be possible for a driver that makes about 300 usd/month could have shares that worth more than 1000 millions bath......................................but we were nice back then ....we gave him a chance hoping he could change
after he became a prime minister
as i said from the other letter he promoted his brother into the boss of military
he promoted his friends and relative to the big positions in police department
he brought his family and friends to take some position inthe goverment
and his meal begins

not long after he was selected
he tried to sell ptt (the petrolium authority of thailand ,or whatever it called) into the private company which his son bought almost all the shares
he sold the telecomunication authority to private coz his main business was the mobile company
so he did not need to ask permission anymore
and he went inter by makking some company in cambodia( i mean the telephone  company) in the name of thai goverment ,but the thruth was he used his company .........never know how much he gained.............
then he sold the electricity company...................................................(does it look like argentina)                       
many people protested it but he did not care
what happens with electricit? ???
now we use water to produce electricity..................most of the water came from dam which belongs to country.............free water
if he could do that we would have to pay a high rate for electricity coz water is not free anymore to produce  electricity   and eventhough he said he will sell only to thai but there are only few family in here that could buy the shares (i mean a big amount)
when he see that people were not agree he sent his man to become the board member of electricity company and continued with his project (lucky us coz now the court said that he could not do that  and already made the company back to state enterprize)
now the case of ptt is in the court........................(ptt is differnt coz electricity was about to be sold and the court stopped it first......................but ptt was already sold......the problem is if the court says that ptt has to go back to state enterprize who is going to pay back for the shares that are already sold coz he already used that money
not long after he was selected he became the parlament dictatorship coz noone could check on him (the constitution said if you like to check the pm you need about 200 seats in the prlament but with his corruption he had more than 70% of seat in the parlament)
when we felt that we had enough of him in the beginning of this year you could see that the former election has the big amount of   NO VOTE
anywyas anywhereelse in this world if you see that kind of vote you understand that there is some problem with the election       but taksin shinnawattra still claimed that he won
and one thing that i can not accept even i have to be killed was that we have a island called kho krud
this island is near to cambodia and in the sea near there, there are a lot a natural gas and petrolium
so if the island  belongs to thailand many petrolium company (such as shell, caltex, esso and even ptt) could come into this area and developt it
but him is about to give the island to cambodia for it could be only him and his friends could developt it
what i can not accept is he is going to give the island to cambodia
NOONE COULD SELL MY COUNTRY

i mean for 5 years that he was in the position what he did was making money into his pocket not the country
and one thing that almost all of you wouldn't understand
was..... he tried to bring himself to the same level of the king...........................NO NO NO
he never listen to the king and tried to be a king himself

so many of you may wonder why thai accepted the coup
coz the leader of the coup was claimed by the king
so for us this is the right goverment
coz the king gave the right to them
i am sure that if these people weren't accepted by the king    no thai will allow it
coz our system is not like the british
king here is not just a symbol
but he is everything,he is the heart of thai

so this is why the coup has the right

back to the US goverment
yes first at all they dun understand our system so they think that we are violating the human right
but this is really wahat we need
and more informations
now they are alot of of us politicians that are loosing profit from thailand
so they are not accepting the coup
how could they lose their profit? ??????
okay     taksin shinnawattra was trying to open the fta market with the us.
so everytime that some deal is done or you are talking about the deal
he must report to the parlament
but up to now nobody knows what deal he did make with the Us politicians
and so if the coup was accepted there are going to break the deal that is not good to the country
and that is for sure that your ploiticians are to lose their profit
actually there are more that he did some i already mention in the last letter

see  how :censored: he is.........   also bringing the coruption into your country
and now we don't want him anymore
and there is noway out so i still conferm that this is what we really need right now
i guarantee to all of you that the thai's heart is 100%  democracy  ( i can speak for all thais)
but when we used the democracy way,it lost against the money and corruption

one thing to the US goverment   do you want the same thing in hungary? ????
civil war? ???

this coup is not for military but it stands for every thai
you can see that these soldires are king's soldiers and they will never harm people not only thai but also foreigners
coz foreigners here are just like the guests of the king to visit our kingdom

Thanls for your understanding and your time
ps. i am still here if anyone has some question
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:38 am

the peopke in bangkok accept the coup, the people outside bangkok are against it. the people outside are the poor farmers who now have a far better life after thaksin helped them.

also thailand is in the most stable financial position it has ever been in, how can this be the case if thaksin was just lining his own pockets.

me thinks your friend is anti thaksin so is happy to just give one side of the story mate
112-1077774096

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:06 pm

Since ww2 Thailand has spent more time living under military rule than that of a democratically elected government. Even with the installation of a "democratic" government all Thais were aware that the Armed forces were never more than a step away from intervention if they didn't like what they saw.

With alleged corruption practised by the current PM (certainly doesn't suprise me) and the increasing activity by muslim seperatists in the south of the country the move by the military was almost inevitable, but in no way (imo) should be seen as a physical threat it to the Thai people ,tourists or the stability of the country .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:01 pm

peewee wrote:its not an anti western thing so there is no need to feel threatened as a white man out here.

When I was out there last year, they loved me.

Long time.  :D  :D

Seriously, as you know Pee my brother is going out there next month so I hope it's as safe as you're saying.  I fucking loved the place.  Hope it all calms down.  Can't imagine that Bangkok is quiet though.  That would be one of the weirdest things as I know how fast paced it is out there.
jonnymac1979

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum