My Country - WAY too obsessed with hockey

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:52 pm

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour in downtown Vancouver following the hometown Canucks' Game 7 loss to the Boston Bruins. :no

Link to photos of the riot
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:01 pm

BOSS: Ok, as our new night watchman, makes sure no one gets in.

WATCHMAN: Gotcha !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:26 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Absolutely disgraceful behaviour in downtown Vancouver following the hometown Canucks' Game 7 loss to the Boston Bruins. :no

It's been on the TV news here Bob, must admit I was suprised to see you country men outdoing Europes footy hooligans but when I think about it I seem to recall that they went ape sh'it a few years back , again after the conclusion of the Stanley Cup.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby The Good Yank » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:37 pm

They've outdone themselves this time.  It was bad in '94 after they lost to the new York Rangers, but this looks alot worse.  What the Fack were they thinking when they decided to allow these veiwing parties of 100,000 plus people?  And in a city that has a bad track record with this sort of stuff?  Idiots, all of them, from the police for not being able to have forethought to be ready, to the idiots doing the rioting itself.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Absolutely disgraceful behaviour in downtown Vancouver following the hometown Canucks' Game 7 loss to the Boston Bruins. :no

one of my friends moved to salt spring island a few years ago, he called me to tell me about the game 7

he said he had never seen fans act like this before, he said it was like a top being taken off a shaken up bottle of champagne.
the police had not idea of what to do and in the part he was in there were not many about and once it kicked off the fans had a free run in what they did.

I dont know much about fans at games like this, is it something that has been building up for sometime?
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi bob, I've got a friend who lives in Vancouver and a big fan of the Canucks, yesterday he told me how important this game was and today he felt really ashamed of what happened in Vancouver but he wasn't surprised because the city itself is vulnrable with riots and gang like activities
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:50 pm

lakes10 wrote:I dont know much about fans at games like this, is it something that has been building up for sometime?

This wasn't the fans at the game itself mate.  This was due to the veiwing party they had downtown.  100,000 people watching on big screen TV's.  Nothing bad at all happened at the actual arena where the game was played.  And the fans in the Arena were absolute class.  They boo'd the league commisioner (rightfully so) but politely applauded when the Stanley Cup was presented to the Bruins.  When players they liked got their turn at raising the cup, the cheers were louder.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:55 pm

The Good Yank wrote:This wasn't the fans at the game itself mate.  This was due to the veiwing party they had downtown.  100,000 people watching on big screen TV's. 

Yep
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:55 pm

Based on what I've been reading, it seems that a lot of the troublemakers were the usual 20-something disaffected anarchist types (of which Vancouver has more than it's share) and a bunch of clueless suburban teenagers who thought it would be a real laugh to burn and loot in 'the city.'  Unfortunately for these kids, brains and common sense are in low supply--many of them have been boasting about their exploits on FB and Twitter, allowing their 'friends' to screen cap the evidence and forward it to the Vancouver PD.  These posts, along with the scores of photographs and cellphone vids (which are also being circulated on social media so the morons can be identified), are going to land these genuises in some hot water.  Who needs CCTV when you've got Facebook, eh? :O
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Bad Bob wrote:Based on what I've been reading, it seems that a lot of the troublemakers were the usual 20-something disaffected anarchist types (of which Vancouver has more than it's share) and a bunch of clueless suburban teenagers who thought it would be a real laugh to burn and loot in 'the city.'  Unfortunately for these kids, brains and common sense are in low supply--many of them have been boasting about their exploits on FB and Twitter, allowing their 'friends' to screen cap the evidence and forward it to the Vancouver PD.  These posts, along with the scores of photographs and cellphone vids (which are also being circulated on social media so the morons can be identified), are going to land these genuises in some hot water.  Who needs CCTV when you've got Facebook, eh? :O

You know BB, its the same thing my friend was telling me about yesterday, a lot of gangsters who are 18-21 year olds emerging in Vancouver and I'm not surprised that they started these type of rioting. Needs to be stopped though
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:59 pm

The Good Yank wrote:
lakes10 wrote:I dont know much about fans at games like this, is it something that has been building up for sometime?

This wasn't the fans at the game itself mate.  This was due to the veiwing party they had downtown.  100,000 people watching on big screen TV's.  Nothing bad at all happened at the actual arena where the game was played.  And the fans in the Arena were absolute class.  They boo'd the league commisioner (rightfully so) but politely applauded when the Stanley Cup was presented to the Bruins.  When players they liked got their turn at raising the cup, the cheers were louder.

Spot on.  There was no trouble at all inside the arena and, to be fair, a lot of the outdoor crowd were proper fans who dispersed before things got out of hand or who tried to prevent some of the damage (as well as documenting some of the riot).  Word is there were loads of families in the outdoor audience who got the sense that things might get ugly before the game ended and so made sure to get out of downtown.

In reading some of the FB confessionals, it's clear that a certain number of kids turned up with the expectation that things were going to explode if the Canucks lost and were prepared to partake in the mayhem.  Bunch of idjits.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Funny place, Vancouver.  That's two full-blown riots now after losing a Stanley Cup final (as The Good Yank mentioned, they did it back in '94 as well...although not quite on this scale).  And yet, there was no trouble whatsoever during the Olympics last year.  Were the police just better prepared? Was there more of a sense that the world was watching and best behaviour was required?  Or was it just because Canada won the gold medal hockey game?  Feck me, imagine the destruction if the Americans had won. :Oo:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Canucks suck anyways..  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:06 pm

As I said in the title, I worry that my compatriots take this sport a little too seriously.

Is Vancouver trying to compete with Montreal?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:06 pm

What's up Bob ? Are all the moose's hibernating . Sexually frustrated Canadians in riot shocker   :D
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to General Chat Forum