How poor were you as kids

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Woollyback » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:56 pm

when i was a student down smithdown road, for my tea i used to have a tin of aldi tomatoes on toast which cost 11p a go. it was aldi bread as well (best before: about 3 o'clock :D ). also used to have brown sauce on toast cos it tasted a bit like bacon butties. always seemed to scrape enough money together to get p*ssed though - liver wines round the corner used to sell loads of out of date booze for cheap, proper gut rot  :sniffle  one winter it was that cold in the house that a bottle of olive oil in the kithcen actually froze to wax  :wwww

grant cheque day was different though - breakfast at suepees, off to the game in the afternoon then baa bar, 051 etc at night  :buttrock

i was lucky though, my auntie & uncle lived just down the road in west allerton so i used to get sunday tea at theirs every few weeks. poor buggers, i used to eat them out of house and home, their kitchen would be feckin EMPTY by the time i was finished :D
Last edited by Woollyback on Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:13 pm

jonnymac1979 wrote:I still gorge myself on 10p pickled onion Space Raiders now. 

I'm not tight or anything, it's just that they're the best crisps and you can buy fucking loads of packs and they're only 10p!!!!

Dont ever mock until youve tried, perfect hang over cure.
Go to the corner shop 3 bags pickled onion space raiders few cans of diet coke, maybe some cheese and onion square crisp thrown in.
Last edited by Ciggy on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:15 pm

nah mate no stories about bein poor me dad has a good job i did get a second hand bike with rusty nutts and bolts and they tried to tell me it was new and me mates were rippin me about it so i sold it and said it was robbed

:laugh:

Clever guy. I did the same and I felt guilty for a while  :laugh:
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:37 am

As well as school we had to earn our pocket money when we got home, hoovering, washing the pots, drying em, polishing every school day for a poxy quid a week ! me mates at school got a tenner just for being there ! We got a large horrible wooden clothes horse to dry the clothes on and that was our tumble drier ! and the finale to show we were in the big time, we had a zx spectrum +2 !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:55 am

1962 , so poor me mum had to save up a tanner  a week (about 3p in todays money) to buy my some new shoes . In the meantime I had to stuff cardboard into the ones I had. F'uckin' useless on a wet day  and dead embarrassing when walking up steps at school , kids following behind could see the dirty big holes in the soles , I had to kind of shuffle , keeping the sole horizontal to the floor at all times  :sniffle
Finally got new shoes though . They cost 19 shillings and sixpence (95p) and were a sh'itty brown colour  :D

Me Dad had one suit , which was stored at the pawn shop , used to redeem it on a Friday and pawn it back again on Monday  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:44 am

i couldnt afford a trail bike so had to put card on the back struts of my push bike, secured with pegs, to create a motorbike engine effect :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:57 am

Woollyback wrote:when i was a student down smithdown road, for my tea i used to have a tin of aldi tomatoes on toast which cost 11p a go. it was aldi bread as well (best before: about 3 o'clock :D ). also used to have brown sauce on toast cos it tasted a bit like bacon butties. always seemed to scrape enough money together to get p*ssed though - liver wines round the corner used to sell loads of out of date booze for cheap, proper gut rot  :sniffle  one winter it was that cold in the house that a bottle of olive oil in the kithcen actually froze to wax  :wwww

grant cheque day was different though - breakfast at suepees, off to the game in the afternoon then baa bar, 051 etc at night  :buttrock

i was lucky though, my auntie & uncle lived just down the road in west allerton so i used to get sunday tea at theirs every few weeks. poor buggers, i used to eat them out of house and home, their kitchen would be feckin EMPTY by the time i was finished :D

Sounds very familar.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:02 am

yeah I remember the day I got a Grifter bike. Dad bught it from a bloke in the pub. Also, I got a chopper too one year.

Remember putting a lolly stick into the spokes so it rattled like fk.

I remember at me grans drinking water out of jam jars. :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:19 pm

JBG wrote:
Woollyback wrote:when i was a student down smithdown road, for my tea i used to have a tin of aldi tomatoes on toast which cost 11p a go. it was aldi bread as well (best before: about 3 o'clock ). also used to have brown sauce on toast cos it tasted a bit like bacon butties. always seemed to scrape enough money together to get p*ssed though - liver wines round the corner used to sell loads of out of date booze for cheap, proper gut rot. one winter it was that cold in the house that a bottle of olive oil in the kithcen actually froze to wax   

Sounds very familar.  :D

really? i can't ever remember you being there at me auntie's ???

:D

@karkhaz - you were lucky, you had a computer. our house we had just one telly and for some reason my dad always had a sh*t hot stereo system. but we had no computer, no games consoles, no video, no washing machine, no tumble dryer, no microwave, never had a shower (just a bath) until i was about 15, never once went abroad on holiday...     we weren't poor (or well off either) but it used to be really embarrassing sometimes cos all your schoolmates had computers, videos etc. primary school wasn't too bad cos there was no such thing as gadgets in the 70's but secondary school was a different story...
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:35 pm

10p space raiders  :D

The lad next door to ours now is a proper stoner, i was in the bargain booze last week buying 3 bottles of red wine for a tenner, he bought 15 packets of pickled onion space raiders.  :D

I used to like the tomatoe ones they brought out for a while, and the beef ones as well.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:29 pm

Woolyback says

@karkhaz - you were lucky, you had a computer. our house we had just one telly and for some reason my dad always had a sh*t hot stereo system. but we had no computer, no games consoles, no video, no washing machine, no tumble dryer, no microwave, never had a shower (just a bath) until i was about 15, never once went abroad on holiday...     we weren't poor (or well off either) but it used to be really embarrassing sometimes cos all your schoolmates had computers, videos etc. primary school wasn't too bad cos there was no such thing as gadgets in the 70's but secondary school was a different story...

The funny or sad thing, is that "embarrassing" should be just the opposite.

In my school we wore Nike, Adidas, Reebok trainers, and those who wore cheap ones were embarrassed and others laughed.

But what's really embarrassing was the attitude of the ones we wore the expensive trainers. I've felt a lot of shame when I became an adult remembering that I fell the stupid trap of wearing the Nike Airs and such. There's nothing embarrasing in not having money, and there's no merit in flaunting about things you haven't earnt but your parents pay.

The kids can be very cruel at times... don't you think?
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:59 pm

Woollyback wrote:when i was a student down smithdown road, for my tea i used to have a tin of aldi tomatoes on toast which cost 11p a go. it was aldi bread as well (best before: about 3 o'clock :D ). also used to have brown sauce on toast cos it tasted a bit like bacon butties. always seemed to scrape enough money together to get p*ssed though - liver wines round the corner used to sell loads of out of date booze for cheap, proper gut rot  :sniffle  one winter it was that cold in the house that a bottle of olive oil in the kithcen actually froze to wax  :wwww

Still go to suepees for breakie now,best full english about that mate.

We used to get a wash in the sink downstairs, no  bathroom . We also had an outside toilet , with a nail on the inside of the door with the echo ripped up into nice squares hanging from it. No bog roll in our house , talk about ring sting. :oh:
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:01 pm

Didnt know Supees had a sink downstairs :D
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:03 pm

Just remembered aswell me ma coming back from town saying she had a pair of kickers for me . I was well made up . when she got them out they said searchers on them , i cried like a baby. Feckin jarg they were.
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:04 pm

The Red Baron wrote:Didnt know Supees had a sink downstairs :D

:D i meant in our house.
UP THE PURPS !!!
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext