How poor were you as kids

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:03 pm

I remember when we only had a dial up internet connection...

...thats what someone here has just said to me! lol hoo hoo ha ha  :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:08 pm

I used to spend hours trying to get apennies & pennies from the grids in the street with a piece of string a piece of chewy on the end.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:12 pm

remember picking the tar from inbetween the cobbles on our street...
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:13 pm

:D funny stuff. Sorry.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:38 pm

I remember coming home knackered and in need of a decent nosh many a time from a few rounds of knock-up ginger, robbin toffee shops or having a game of 'Bullseye' with real stones........and real windows   :sniffle   - to a plate of what can be best described pictorially thus:

Image Image and either this s.*i*e Image this....Image

or even worse still...them beefburgers in a tin (Goblin i think)   :wwww  f**kin terrible the were.

No wonder i ran off and finished up as a Chef!!    :laugh:

btw a note of caution to those contemplating playing Knock-up Ginger  On no occasion let your getaway transport be a friggin' SpaceHopper - especially wearing yer school pumps!    :(   

Choppers are much better for gettin out the way quick!   :;):

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Big Niall » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:10 pm

I forgot Smash. This cheap powder and you just add water and it is supposed to be mashed potatoes, It was like the famine didn't end until 1992 :D
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:20 pm

spam! lol, war food.

my gran still has a cupboard full of it,

I remember playing out in the snow with socks on me hands and plaggy bags inside my shoes
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:41 pm

peewee wrote:just found this thread on another forum and nearly wet myself laughing at the memories, maybe this is for the older ones on the site.

anyway give me the memories that showed you were poor, you know what i mean cr@p trainers etc.

anyway the one that got me thinking (and we did actually have this) was the meter on the back of the TV, you had to put 50p in to watch the telly, that would last so long then you had to put more money in, in the old days of rented TVs

:laugh:

My Nan had one of those tv's- also as there was no central heating in her house so when we all went to bed (3 sharing one bed) we took hot water bottles wrapped in towels!! I remember lying there and blowing smoke (or so it looked) from my mouth it was so cold!! That's Bootle in the winter!!!!

:D
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby Mikz » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:52 pm

Lee J wrote:how poor we're you as a kid then?

I remember getting a bath in front of the fire in the 70's  :D

:D Same here
We also had no running hot water in Belfast, and no inside toilet , was a nightmare in the dark
No fridge and no colour tv.
The ice cream van would come round our place, and my mam used to put my ice cream in an empty milk bottle while i was eating my dinner...I can still see it drippin away :down:
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:05 pm

Shocked to read all this. The poor's stories in my country were the postwar years, 1939-1950, stories of families with lots of sons so that they worked as peasants, the bread was delivered by giving each family some cards, and Beans, beans and beans as basic food, stories of mothers who didn't have lunch so that their sons could eat.

All changed when Eisenhower helped Spain in exchange of some military bases, and Spain definitely recovered when democracy came back.

Fortunately enough I didn't miss any basic necessary things, heat, food, and everything. But I always was educated in the idea that despite I had the luck of having money, there were times which were harsh, and that times might come back, so I was educated not to waste money and not to flaunt about the money we have. To flaunt was something I was to avoid at all costs, some sort of a shame to do that.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:49 pm

Tin bath infront of the coal fire  :blush:
Me my nan grandad and auntie in one double bed till I was 18 months old then my grandad died.
So then the 3 of us where still in the same bed till my auntie moved out.

Getting two feckin little plastic dolls in a bath for my birthday out the chandelers on Latimer street, when I was really hoping I would get a Holly Hobby doll  :angry:  :D

Having a picknick in Stanley Park with a few chopped pork butties a lemo bottle full of juice and some boiled eggs between 5 of us instead of a birthday party.

Thing is though even tho we wernt well off I never went without my mum used to scrub the steps of the Munisiple Buildings at 5 in the morning and spent every penny on me.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PhiLFC » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:10 pm

We were the last family on our street to get colour telly but I can't remember ever missing it... I remember my Dad getting one of those screens for the front of the tv set that turned everything reddy greeny bluey type colours... hilarious.  We never had central heating but I don't really remember being cold except when I went to bed at night and the bed was fukkin freezin.

In the 70's I remember thnking for the first time that we were poor because all my mates n neighbours were riding about on Choppers and I had to make do with a racing bike that weighed a ton (a Raleigh Falcon I think)...  I really wanted one of those Chopper seats... what an icon :(
PhiLFC

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:20 pm

I still gorge myself on 10p pickled onion Space Raiders now. 

I'm not tight or anything, it's just that they're the best crisps and you can buy fucking loads of packs and they're only 10p!!!!
jonnymac1979

Postby JBG » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:03 pm

supersub wrote:I used to spend hours trying to get apennies & pennies from the grids in the street with a piece of string a piece of chewy on the end.

Aye, the 30s were rough.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby dawson99 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:20 pm

Big Niall wrote:I forgot Smash. This cheap powder and you just add water and it is supposed to be mashed potatoes, It was like the famine didn't end until 1992 :D

smash? reminds me of uni... threee years of smash sandwiches or pasta with an oxo cube if we could find one... it was like the yonug ones where i was
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat Forum